www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 6th, 2011, 19:14   #1
Ichance405

Fuel Economy: 40 average mpg
Default tdi gas mileage/ 1/4 tank..

couldnt think of a good title.. anyway, I get about 430 a tank and its usually right on a quarter tank and takes 11 gallons. people who get 600 a tank. where is your gage when you fill up? also how accurate does your consumption seem to be? so far mine seems to be reading about 2 mpg better than what it show when I do the math. I just hit 2,000 miles today and have about 3 days left before its considered 1 month of ownership.
Ichance405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 23:00   #2
StaceyS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: 40.6 mpg (54 fill ups)

My MFI is showing a bit better than my calculated.

The 700+ mile tank I drove a while back I knew the route and where I could get fuel. I kept putting it off for cost and ended up filling up with about 10 miles of range left. The needle was on empty and the light had been boring a hole in my eye for miles... Not something I planned to do, or would choose to do again.
StaceyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:42   #3
bvencil
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 combined average

I usually fill-up a little under a quarter tank, maybe 3/16. I am usually in the low 500s.

Also, I don't worry about how many miles I get to a tank. The metric that is of more interest to me is MPG. Tank miles seems a bit meaningless, other than the novelty of it.

Bill's Music
bvencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:35   #4
scottisha
Veteran Member

Use Fuelly.com to track your mileage. I've used it for quite some time and it helped me rationalize, easily, the purchase of an additional car (my golf TDI)

I averaged $630.00 per month in gas in my Genesis V8, the first five months of this year. My cost per mile, in fuel, was $0.203.
I now spend 1/2 of that in fuel, which nearly makes the car payment.

On topic....I try to get 500+ miles per tank. I take a break from "slow" driving every other tank or so, as you can see by looking at my Fuelly profile.
I typically fill up within the 20-30 miles till empty range.

Scott
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:09   #5
Seacoaster
Veteran Member

i would have to say my tank is weighed heavily toward the top. I tend to run it low before filling and almost always take 14-14.5 gallons. As for the MFI, mine will usually read 44 mpg on any trip over 20 minutes, and my mpg when calculated by hand ends up at 40-42 mpg. So my MFI is consistantly off 5-10%.
Seacoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:13   #6
scottisha
Veteran Member

My MFI is slightly more positive than my actual results, using Fuelly's calculated MPG. Typically though, the MFI is within 1/2 a mpg avg.

Scott
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:59   #7
fujii13
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 VW JSW

Wow, you guys are really doing a disservice to your fuel range if you're filling up around a quarter of a tank. Let the thing go to 0 miles at least. On cross country road trips I regularly go 40-50 miles past "0 range" with no issues.
fujii13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:21   #8
scottisha
Veteran Member

I'm not risking running this car out of fuel. In my other cars, I regulary go past the "0 miles till empty" point; however, with all the HPFP fear I'm not running this thing bone dry, except by complete accident.
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:25   #9
5harkology
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottisha View Post
I'm not risking running this car out of fuel. In my other cars, I regulary go past the "0 miles till empty" point; however, with all the HPFP fear I'm not running this thing bone dry, except by complete accident.
I have a tendency to push the range pretty far, but keep in mind all the junk you're picking up off the floor of the tank when running it near dry.
5harkology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:25   #10
fujii13
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 VW JSW

1) E isn't at empty on these cars. It just isn't.
2) Fill up until you see diesel in the filler neck. With how foamy diesel is when the pump cuts off you are NOT at a full tank.
fujii13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:29   #11
meowguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
I get about 430 a tank and its usually right on a quarter tank and takes 11 gallons. people who get 600 a tank. where is your gage when you fill up?
Your question appears simple, the answer is complicated. You want to know how people get the highest range? The range you can expect depends on your average MPG and that depends on the following:

1. Your mix of city/highway driving.
2. How you use the accelerator.
3. How broken-in your engine is.
4. What type of transmission you have.
5. What is the outside air temperature.
6. How your tires are inflated.
7. Do you drive with Cruise Control.
8. How much you use the brakes. (The more you brake the more fuel you waste)
9. Do you want to play "chicken" with your fuel gauge to get High Range which is a meaningless number and will take care of itself with high MPG.

Having to refuel a CR diesel that has run completely dry is something you will only want to do once in a life-time. So when the yellow light comes on and says "Fuel Low" you have about 50 miles left at your current consumption rate before you are sucking air. You better stop and get some fuel quick.

Personally, I don't care if I fill up at 400 miles or 630 miles. The number you need to try to achieve is the highest average MPG. That's why we bought a car with this engine.

Last edited by meowguy; September 7th, 2011 at 07:42.
meowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:36   #12
Rutch
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujii13 View Post
Wow, you guys are really doing a disservice to your fuel range if you're filling up around a quarter of a tank. Let the thing go to 0 miles at least. On cross country road trips I regularly go 40-50 miles past "0 range" with no issues.
lol, it's not like filling up at a 1/4 tank is going to make the fuel range go down over time and never come back. You could still use that 1/4 tank if you need it sometime.

On the other hand, isn't the fuel pump lubed/cooled by the diesel? I wouldn't want to make a habit of running on the ragged edge all the time...
Rutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:12   #13
dajo

Just got 1700 miles on mine, it seems the MPG is off by 2-3 MPG on MFI. I don't really care about range just MPG. So far overall avr 39 MPG very happy with car, power, MPG
dajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:48   #14
LandCruiser
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5harkology View Post
I have a tendency to push the range pretty far, but keep in mind all the junk you're picking up off the floor of the tank when running it near dry.
Fuel sucks from the bottom bro. Bro.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:59   #15
bvencil
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 combined average

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujii13 View Post
Don't see how the fuel range is being "disserviced" It is what it is regardless of when you fill up.

I guess what I was alluding to earlier (or at least thinking about) are the many comments on this forum that seem to equate fuel range with fuel economy, when in fact they are 2 different things.

Bill's Music
bvencil is offline   Reply With Quote