www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old October 27th, 2011, 16:25   #16
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

The Yokohama Envigors are excellent tires too. I was afraid switching from the Michellin, but wanted the 94H rating and went with the Yoko's. They are better on WET traction than the Michellins.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 17:48   #17
tdi90hp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergg View Post
I must not have sensitive ears because I have the cruddy Hankook tires and my Passat seems just fine relative to road noise, the only thing I can hear is a little wind noise over the side view mirrors at 70+ mph, but not bad and I don't think it's any worse than most other vehicles. I think this car is amazing, especially considering the combined mpg's I'm getting(45+)....and fun factor to drive(loving the stick).
got hankooks on my golf....dont see what everyone complains about...guess I am deaf.....sorry Passat lovers but I just cant get myself to love that new Passat....maybe with time...such a big boxy boat....
tdi90hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 18:01   #18
gergg
Veteran Member

Quote:
sorry Passat lovers but I just cant get myself to love that new Passat....maybe with time...such a big boxy boat....
Oh, but let me tell you, the Passat is a great car, I did love my Golf but I would not even think about trading the Passat for the Golf now, not a chance. I like the looks of the Passat(even better in person), plus it is much more comfortable for me and the wife, easier to get in and out of, better mpg, and I think it drives better too....no, it isn't as quick as the Golf, or as sporty, but it is a nicer overall ride to me. This is a fantastic car.
gergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:39   #19
wutbürger
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oh, but let me tell you, the Passat is a great car, I did love my Golf but I would not even think about trading the Passat for the Golf now, not a chance. I like the looks of the Passat(even better in person), plus it is much more comfortable for me and the wife, easier to get in and out of, better mpg, and I think it drives better too....no, it isn't as quick as the Golf, or as sporty, but it is a nicer overall ride to me. This is a fantastic car.
As a current Golf owner, I couldn't agree more- the Passat is loads more comfortable for us, the rear seat room is unreal and handy, and I also think it truly does drive better which was something I DID NOT expect- at all. When tossing the Passat through some curves, it felt MUCH more composed with less lean- even if I was sliding out of the leatherette, under-bolstered seats a bit

However, I simply can't live without a hatch/wagon configuration given our lifestyle and family needs. If I could live with a sadan, hands down a TDI Passat would be in the driveway compared to the other mid-sizers I've driven (Optima, Sonata, Accord, Camry)

In terms of the road noise- it was a night and day difference to me having driven the TDI SEL Premium (18's) and 2.5SE (17's) with the 17's being MUCH quiter/compliant. However, there was still quite a bit of noticeable wind noise from the A-Pillar/Mirror area that I don't get on my Golf, but it's substantially better than the wind noise from the Jetta. Road noise in general is actually a bit quieter on the Passat than my MKVI Golf which is saying alot- I attribute most of that to a softer suspension and newer tires

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime

Last edited by wutbürger; October 28th, 2011 at 06:44.
wutbürger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:11   #20
gergg
Veteran Member

Quote:
However, there was still quite a bit of noticeable wind noise from the A-Pillar/Mirror area that I don't get on my Golf
Yep, that is the only noise I notice on mine, not bad and only at higher speeds, but it is there.
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:35   #21
tdi90hp
Veteran Member

Quote:
well I guess I just like the size of the golf....but as you say I will watch how this all develops...one thing I would like is a little more metal around me but for the most part I feel pretty safe in the little golf. funny how in Canada the 6 speed Highline Golf is very close to the 6 speed comfortline Passat !! 1200 dollars seperates them.... WOW....must be that NA content and labor !
tdi90hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:39   #22
rhpot1991

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Just got back from signing the financing papers for my pre-order (hooray 1.9% APR). I took notice that the V6 in the showroom had Optimo H426s on it. We'll see what mine has when it comes in next week.
rhpot1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 15:40   #23
fluidpower11

Wink My 1st 1000 miles with the 2012 Passat TDI

1st let me say that my wife and I were beyond frustrated with VWOA. We have owned several VWs over the course of about 35 years. But the delivery of our new 2012 TDI SEL turned very frustrating. We were supposed to get our car at the end of August but had to wait 2-1/2 months before we finally took delivery on Oct 29th. That in and of itself was ridiculous.

So.... now we have 1000 miles on it. Here are some points of note:

1). The acceleration from a stop or while moving is amazing. Compared to our 2005 Passat TDI, the 2012 is a race car.
2). Shifts (automatic) are very smooth and not noticable.
3). Engine vibration is completely gone. The 2005 used to rumble at idle. The 2012 is very, very smooth. You really don't know it is a diesel.
4). Fuel mileage. Can't tell yet. I think it is a little lower than advertised but I am giving it a break-in period.
5). Steering is a little touchy. But.....what bothers me is that my car is pulling to the right. Took it to the dealer who said that they will not fix it for now since the car is so new. They want the suspension to "break in". This will require another trip to the dealer.
6). Stereo seems nice.....but....we just noticed that the rear speake(s) are not working at all (I think I hear a slight buzz). Another trip to the dealer.
7). Wind noise..... Not really much to discuss yet but this is because of the next item.
8). Road noise..... This is the noisiest car I have ever owned. Perhaps a Yugo is noisier but I never owned one. On some road surfaces the inside of the car sounds like being inside a large echo chamber. It's awful. I am VERY disappointed and mad as heck in how noisy and loud my brand new Passat is. I noticed the tires are Hankook Optimo H426's. According to the previous post with the tire graph, the tires are not unacceptable for a car of this quality. Maybe better tires are the cure??

Does anyone (Kchorro?) know how to contact VWOA to express my disappointment.

9). The interior trim is nice and tidy. Plenty of leg room front and back.
10). Key start: Nice feature and works well but I have not yet figured out what would happen if you loose your keys and have to get into (and start)the car (since there is no "key hole"). Do you call Pop-a-Lock?

That's all for now. Can someone help me get in touch with VWOA about the tires and road noise?

Thanks!
fluidpower11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 17:51   #24
TDICT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidpower11 View Post
1st let me say that my wife and I were beyond frustrated with VWOA. We have owned several VWs over the course of about 35 years. But the delivery of our new 2012 TDI SEL turned very frustrating. We were supposed to get our car at the end of August but had to wait 2-1/2 months before we finally took delivery on Oct 29th. That in and of itself was ridiculous.

So.... now we have 1000 miles on it. Here are some points of note:

1). The acceleration from a stop or while moving is amazing. Compared to our 2005 Passat TDI, the 2012 is a race car.
2). Shifts (automatic) are very smooth and not noticable.
3). Engine vibration is completely gone. The 2005 used to rumble at idle. The 2012 is very, very smooth. You really don't know it is a diesel.
4). Fuel mileage. Can't tell yet. I think it is a little lower than advertised but I am giving it a break-in period.
5). Steering is a little touchy. But.....what bothers me is that my car is pulling to the right. Took it to the dealer who said that they will not fix it for now since the car is so new. They want the suspension to "break in". This will require another trip to the dealer.
6). Stereo seems nice.....but....we just noticed that the rear speaker(s) are not working at all (I think I hear a slight buzz). Another trip to the dealer.
7). Wind noise..... Not really much to discuss yet but this is because of the next item.
8). Road noise..... This is the noisiest car I have ever owned. Perhaps a Yugo is noisier but I never owned one. On some road surfaces the inside of the car sounds like being inside a large echo chamber. It's awful. I am VERY disappointed and mad as heck in how noisy and loud my brand new Passat is. I noticed the tires are Hankook Optimo H426's. According to the previous post with the tire graph, the tires are not unacceptable for a car of this quality. Maybe better tires are the cure??

Does anyone (Kchorro?) know how to contact VWOA to express my disappointment.

9). The interior trim is nice and tidy. Plenty of leg room front and back.
10). Key start: Nice feature and works well but I have not yet figured out what would happen if you loose your keys and have to get into (and start)the car (since there is no "key hole"). Do you call Pop-a-Lock?

That's all for now. Can someone help me get in touch with VWOA about the tires and road noise?

Thanks!
First off, good luck with your new Passat. I have almost 3,000 miles on mine and the mileage is better than the EPA guessed at. Highway is in the upper 40's and my overall is 40+. I don't drive it to maximize the economy.
Not quite sure what the tire noise issue is. My car is quieter than my 2009 JSW TDI with the 17'" Continental tires.
If you loose your keys you have the same problem with or without the key less system. I thought key less was a gimmick at first but I am a firm believer now. Would not buy a car with out it.
TDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 20:00   #25
2500hd2
Veteran Member

I would say my SE DSG is louder in the cabin on the highway than my 06 tdi jetta.
I might be the tires. My Jetta had Michelin primacy's. The passat has the hankooks.
2500hd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 04:29   #26
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd2 View Post
I would say my SE DSG is louder in the cabin on the highway than my 06 tdi jetta.
I might be the tires. My Jetta had Michelin primacy's. The passat has the hankooks.
Just got back from 100 mile road trip this weekend. Primacy's turn the Passat into a different car, quieter on the inside than my previous Lexus.
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 04:51   #27
2500hd2
Veteran Member

That would be my first swap.
But I can't see myself getting rid of brand new tires..
Plus the cost of the tires after buying the new car.
Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
Just got back from 100 mile road trip this weekend. Primacy's turn the Passat into a different car, quieter on the inside than my previous Lexus.
2500hd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 04:58   #28
gergg
Veteran Member

I've got the Hankook's on mine too, but I don't notice too much noise, I consider this car very quiet.
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:06   #29
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd2 View Post
That would be my first swap.
But I can't see myself getting rid of brand new tires..
Plus the cost of the tires after buying the new car.
Thanks for the update.
I understand, DT gave me $200.00 for the Hankook trade.
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:01   #30
wolfsburg_de
Ross-Tech AssociateVendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 33.5 mpg, mostly city

I'm putting on Continental DWS tomorrow. Anyone want some Hankooks with 650 miles on them?