www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old September 4th, 2011, 19:06   #1
EastNC

Fuel Economy: To work: 41 Going Home: 29 Highest 56.2
Default 2012 Passat road noise

I had a chance last week to drive our demo unit Passat TDI, a navi kessy car with the DSG. I'm curious if anyone else has driven one? The one I drove has really high road noise, high enough that after a quick drive I drove it straight back to the bay of the tech that did the PDI to check the tire pressure, which were at spec. This car has Hankooks as does my 2011 TDI Jetta; my car is FAR quieter. The tech's comment was something about decontenting to hit the lower price point, just curious if anyone else had a similar experience.

b
Father of Four
EastNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 20:56   #2
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

I drove a 2012 Passat TDI and I think the tires do have something to do with it. In comparison if you drive a 2.5 L SE (I also drove this) with the smaller tires, I think you will note less noise. I know that I ever order the new passat with a TDI, I will try to swap out the tires right away as the newer lower profile tires are just simply noisier. Either that or swap out tires to Michelin. My 2 cents.
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:54   #3
99Jet
Veteran Member

TDI(s): n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastNC View Post
The tech's comment was something about decontenting to hit the lower price point, just curious if anyone else had a similar experience.
I drove a 2012 Passat Highline 2.5L which was equipped with 17" Continentals. At lower speeds, I found the road noise to be ok, albeit noisier than the 2010 Passat. At speeds above ~70mph, there was noticeable wind noise from the side mirror and/or A pillar. This to me, is not acceptable.

If something this basic was able to slip into production, I'm left wondering what else might have been overlooked. This has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with design.

I'd be interested to hear feedback from Euro-Passat owners which seem to have different mirrors.
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:18   #4
VLS_GUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 City, 40 highway

It seems that Micheal Karesh of True Delta agrees with the wind noise problems everyone else is finding. He reviewed the SE V6 version: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e/#more-410087
VLS_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:57   #5
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLS_GUY View Post
It seems that Micheal Karesh of True Delta agrees with the wind noise problems everyone else is finding. He reviewed the SE V6 version: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e/#more-410087
I did several test drives of the Passat TDI SEL and did notice the road noise. I do not believe its any worse and probably better than other vehicles in this class. I had driven a 2012 Sonata Hybrid immediately prior to testing the 2012 Passat TDI.

I could however barely hear any wind noise because the tire noise was so high. Maybe that's by design.

C&D choose the Passat as number 1 among their previous 2011 10best competitors. Take away from that what you will.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...3.6_sel_page_4
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 19:37   #6
ks-tdi

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

I came to the conclusion after driving a Passat this weekend that along with the noise, I was not that impressed with the ride. Since I have an '09 TDI, my standards are high. The CC may be the way to go as for a nice ride but there is no TDI option.
ks-tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 19:26   #7
darrelld
Veteran Member

Hankooks get the worst rating for noise, trading mine in this weekend for a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4's that just became available this month at DT.

Passat has the Optimo H426 from the factory.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=138

Last edited by darrelld; October 26th, 2011 at 19:32.
Old October 26th, 2011, 20:04   #8
thegradas

The Continentals are very low noise tires. However, many prefer 18" over 16".
thegradas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:30   #9
gergg
Veteran Member

I must not have sensitive ears because I have the cruddy Hankook tires and my Passat seems just fine relative to road noise, the only thing I can hear is a little wind noise over the side view mirrors at 70+ mph, but not bad and I don't think it's any worse than most other vehicles. I think this car is amazing, especially considering the combined mpg's I'm getting(45+)....and fun factor to drive(loving the stick).
gergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:47   #10
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergg View Post
I must not have sensitive ears because I have the cruddy Hankook tires and my Passat seems just fine relative to road noise, the only thing I can hear is a little wind noise over the side view mirrors at 70+ mph, but not bad and I don't think it's any worse than most other vehicles. I think this car is amazing, especially considering the combined mpg's I'm getting(45+)....and fun factor to drive(loving the stick).
These tires have more problems that just road noise look at the chart from tirerack for traction on anything but dry pavement;

Reviewer from TireRacks experience

"I signed up to this sight too just so I coud echo everyone else. I slid into a curb attmpting a left turn at maybe 4 or 5 mph on a street with no traffic in a moderate snowstorm less than 24 hours afer purchasng my new Kia and driving it off the showroom floor. It was slick out but I'm a defensive driver and have driven long haul tractor trailers in the past without incident. Up until then I hadn't had an insurance claim in nearly 30 years but this collision bent the cross member frame and caused 2000 dollars damage. Really either people should be warned or these tires should be recalled or replaced at Hankook expense."

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...rePageLocQty=#

Last edited by darrelld; October 27th, 2011 at 05:50.
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:56   #11
gergg
Veteran Member

Quote:
These tires have more problems that just road noise look at the chart from tirerack for traction on anything but dry pavement;

Reviewer from TireRacks experience

"I signed up to this sight too just so I coud echo everyone else. I slid into a curb attmpting a left turn at maybe 4 or 5 mph on a street with no traffic in a moderate snowstorm less than 24 hours afer purchasng my new Kia and driving it off the showroom floor. It was slick out but I'm a defensive driver and have driven long haul tractor trailers in the past without incident. Up until then I hadn't had an insurance claim in nearly 30 years but this collision bent the cross member frame and caused 2000 dollars damage. Really either people should be warned or these tires should be recalled or replaced at Hankook expense."

Oh, trust me, I have no doubt they suck, I was just referencing the Passat and noise and noting that even with these cruddy tires the noise is not bad to my ears. Would love to try better tires, but that might not happen for a while.
gergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:28   #12
Kchorro
Veteran Member

My TDI SEL came with Bridgestone Turanza EL 400.
They feel good and road noise is none.l
My car shows on the door build 8/2011
Maybe VW plant is upgrading tires on these cars already. The SEL TDI that I test drove had the hankook and noticed the noise at that time. I'm in Texas.
I recommend call VW customer care and explains that the car that you bought got the worst tire ever and the road noise is not acceptable under any circumstance and you are not happy with it after paying $$$$ for the car and explains that you want them replace... They will take car of you..VW region corporate manager will follow up with you after you make the formal complaint thru VW customer care number... I know it works because I have called 2 times on my entire life and I have owned 7 VW's and they know it when i called because they see it on their system.. My latest call was this week and the regional Texas VW manager called yesterday to address my problem. However, the problem was not technical this time and was not about the Passat was for the Tiguan but and the end they take care of you most of the time and you got better chances with he Passat since it a new car in the market.
2012 VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI SEL Premium Nav
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium w/rear lid spoiler
Kchorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:26   #13
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-tdi View Post
I came to the conclusion after driving a Passat this weekend that along with the noise, I was not that impressed with the ride. Since I have an '09 TDI, my standards are high. The CC may be the way to go as for a nice ride but there is no TDI option.
High standards with the 2009 Jetta? Really? Sorry, but laughing here.

Seriously, you need to drive the 2005 Passat then you know what a real car drives like. The 2009 Jetta is a class below the Passat in handling and ride.

I test drove the 2009 Jetta's and felt every bump and jar and heard every pot hole as it transmitted the bump and noise through the car. The new Passat did NOT do this.
2015 Audi A3 TDI Prestige Dakota Grey Metallic/Chestnut Brown Leather
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 16:04   #14
ironpen

I took my car (TDI SEL) straight to the tire shop and got a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires put on and it made a tremendous difference in road noise. Cost me about $500 for the swap out, but it was worth it. I have no idea why such sorry tires would even be considered from the factory. There can't be that much difference in price to the manufacturer.
ironpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 16:33   #15
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpen View Post
I took my car (TDI SEL) straight to the tire shop and got a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires put on and it made a tremendous difference in road noise. Cost me about $500 for the swap out, but it was worth it. I have no idea why such sorry tires would even be considered from the factory. There can't be that much difference in price to the manufacturer.
I almost bought the DWS, hesitated on reading about tracking and turn-in issues.

How do you like them, see any of the problems I read about?