www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old December 15th, 2011, 22:05   #31
CTD_Chevrolet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2015:43 2002:38 mpg, 51 max

I like the OP's setup a lot. I've been really thinking about a good solution. A flip down lid would be a must if I'm going to do it.
Off topic, my solution to driving off has been coil up the 25' big extension cord (car is only about 8' from the plug) and wrap it up. If I drive off with it still plugged in it pulls out one end or the other instead of pulling the extension cord into the street and flying all over the place.
CTD_Chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 15:22   #32
lubtheDub

TDI(s): '01 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 5-6L/100km
Default How are Frostheater's

I am looking to add a heater to my 2001 Jetta, how have you all found Frostheater for both quality and ease of installation? Would anyone know whether getting the heater from the manufacturer to save money would be a bad idea? I live in Canada and the extra cost of shipping made me consider going around Frostheater to the source. Just not sure how good their kits are, and how much is added by them.
lubtheDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 15:45   #33
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubtheDub View Post
I am looking to add a heater to my 2001 Jetta, how have you all found Frostheater for both quality and ease of installation? Would anyone know whether getting the heater from the manufacturer to save money would be a bad idea? I live in Canada and the extra cost of shipping made me consider going around Frostheater to the source. Just not sure how good their kits are, and how much is added by them.

He is the manfacturer,He has good prices on his products.He is out of Arlington, Minnessota
Old December 29th, 2011, 17:22   #34
Victor Huge
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

As far as I know, he does not manufacture, only assembles a kit with a zerotherm or something heater and everything required to mount it
Victor Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 17:32   #35
sootwagen
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares???

Quote:
I have had mine in since September 2005. It took all of 45 minutes to install, and I lost about a pint of coolant.

Simply put, it's a great product at a great price.
Old December 30th, 2011, 06:57   #36
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Huge View Post
As far as I know, he does not manufacture, only assembles a kit with a zerotherm or something heater and everything required to mount it

This is his design. So he has parts special made for his product,I would call that a manufacture.
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:09   #37
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Quote:
Frost's kits are plug and play. If you just buy a Zerostart heater, you will have to make the mounting bracket and sift through all of the curved hoses at the auto parts store to find the right ones for a neat installation. Terry does all of that for you, at a very reasonable cost. You will be supporting a vendor who supports this site, AND you even get a bag of M&Ms to munch on while you're doing the install!
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:19   #38
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
This is his design. So he has parts special made for his product,I would call that a manufacture.
Either way the heating element (which is 90% of his product) can be bought cheaper and made to work on your car.

It's just Mr Frost has taken that last 10% of hassle out of the install. To many people, not dealing with that last 10%, it is well worth paying for his kit.

I'd buy one if I lived a but further north, i can deal with the week or so we see of single digits.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:34   #39
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Either way the heating element (which is 90% of his product) can be bought cheaper and made to work on your car.

It's just Mr Frost has taken that last 10% of hassle out of the install. To many people, not dealing with that last 10%, it is well worth paying for his kit.
I think that your percentages are off just a bit. Unless, that is, you put absolutely no value on your time spent making a mounting bracket or finding the correct hoses. I try to "do-it-myself" as often as possible, but in this case, the Frostheater kit is a no-brainer.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:00   #40
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1854sailor View Post
I think that your percentages are off just a bit. Unless, that is, you put absolutely no value on your time spent making a mounting bracket or finding the correct hoses. I try to "do-it-myself" as often as possible, but in this case, the Frostheater kit is a no-brainer.
Well said! I would add that even with the kit and the full colour detailed chassis specific instructions that come with it can be a bit of work to wrestle the parts into the engine bay. I was very very very thankful I purchased a frostheater kit that had the correct hoses and mount and I only had to do this once.

edit: on topic content: I really like this solution Oly! Looks very clean and solid. I haven't decided where to put my cord ever since I deleted the lower grilles on my Golf. I kindof like the solid block off plate idea for the lower grilles and mounted it in there... but out the side would be so much quicker, or possibly secured solidly using a bracket in the gaping hole I have were the drivers side grille used to be...

Either way, finding the mounting location for the plug has got to be the most enjoyable part of installing a FrostHeater!

The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com

Last edited by NarfBLAST; December 30th, 2011 at 11:07.
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 12:52   #41
740GLE
Veteran Member

i wasn't knocking the frost heater, it's def seems like a great product, that adapts a product to meet our needs with the least amount of hassle
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 19:49   #42
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarfBLAST View Post
I really like this solution Oly! Looks very clean and solid. I haven't decided where to put my cord ever since I deleted the lower grilles on my Golf. I kindof like the solid block off plate idea for the lower grilles and mounted it in there... but out the side would be so much quicker, or possibly secured solidly using a bracket in the gaping hole I have were the drivers side grille used to be...

Either way, finding the mounting location for the plug has got to be the most enjoyable part of installing a FrostHeater!
Yeah, I enjoyed installing the plug-in port more than I did installing the heater! It's holding-up excellently although there are some mars in the paint on the door rim from road wear. No biggie -- that's what touch-up paint is for!

There have been no problems whatsoever so far; nice and dry. I must reiterate, however, that this solution is best suited for those who have a cord situation amenable to the side plug-in. In other words, if you think you'lll drive off without noticing your cord, perhaps this isn't the right solution! I drape my cord from the plug-in port over the driver's side mirror which is nearly impossible to miss when getting into the car.

I like the "look" the longer I have it...
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:29   #43
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

The extention cord I use has little led light inside the plug.
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:38   #44
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
The extention cord I use has little led light inside the plug.
Yes! Mine as well. When I walk into the garage, there is a big blue cord draped across my mirror and a glowing cord plugged into the port -- I'd have to be sleep walking to miss that...
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:41   #45
2000BlueJ
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 53 best, worst 34

I know what my next project is...

VCDS and timing belt tools
2000BlueJ is offline   Reply With Quote