www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 15th, 2011, 15:24   #16
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Is the cover secured to anything other than the bumper cover? What I'm getting at is does the surrounding plastic flex when plugging in/unplugging?

My only concern would be putting pressure/stress on the plastic of the cover in very cold weather.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 17:33   #17
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorDJQ View Post
Is the cover secured to anything other than the bumper cover? What I'm getting at is does the surrounding plastic flex when plugging in/unplugging?

My only concern would be putting pressure/stress on the plastic of the cover in very cold weather.

No, it's very firm. The outer portion of the device is through bolted and sandwiches a gasket. So with flat washers on the other side and all of them snugged firmly down, I see and feel no play. Also, for what it's worth, I always keep my plugs/recepticles slippery and clean.

Hope that answered your question!
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 17:35   #18
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzler View Post
My version:

Excellent!
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:08   #19
wfg97079
Veteran Member

Default Mkvi

Anyone got a good solution for something similar on a 2011 JSW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTDI View Post
Excellent!
wfg97079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:14   #20
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy:

I've got basically the same install as Shizzler, but I installed my Marinco outlet directly into the existing lower driver's side grille. It's been held in with friction only for the past 5 years without issue - I never got around to securing the marine outlet into the grille insert with RTV or silicone.
scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 19:36   #21
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

Glad to hear the different solutions.

Since the install I did, there have been no problems. The inside of the recepticle is nice and dry (I worried about the door letting moisture in) and works wonderfully. At this point, I think I can heartily recommend this mod.

BTW -- I loop the extension cord over the driver's side mirror so that it is evident when I get into the car. A side-mounted plug-in isn't something you'd want to leave plugged-in when you drive off!
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:43   #22
slug1121

Fuel Economy: 42 avg.

Oly, I do really like the idea; it turned out looking really good! Has anyone tried mounting an outlet behind the grille emblem? I thought this would work nicely if the emblem was then mounted on a hinge.... Something I'm probably going to try. I'll post pics if I manage to follow through.
slug1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:49   #23
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

My advice for ANY frostheater user is to use good winter rated cords that are brightly colored. When I lived in Central Wisconsin and I drove a 1981 Plymouth reliant with a block heater, I once backed up and the cord went like a whip! Didn't wreck anything other than my 23 year old ego...at the time in 1981-82. Today I use bright orange ones and make sure I have a frostheater plug cap on to prevent derbis from getting the outlets smagged up.
Old November 29th, 2011, 18:03   #24
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug1121 View Post
Oly, I do really like the idea; it turned out looking really good! Has anyone tried mounting an outlet behind the grille emblem? I thought this would work nicely if the emblem was then mounted on a hinge.... Something I'm probably going to try. I'll post pics if I manage to follow through.
That would be an awesome mod if done right. I'll be interested in following your progress!
Old December 2nd, 2011, 21:39   #25
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Here is my version. I used a hole saw on a drill press to keep it strait.The socket is held in by the back nut.I can do a write up if some one see how i did it.The next one, I do I will try to put were the fog light goes.I think it will look nicer.

Last edited by MonsterTDI09; December 13th, 2011 at 23:47.
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 14:48   #26
spartan
Veteran Member

That looks great, nice job.
spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:06   #27
JPDiesel
Veteran Member

Shizzler
How are the mounting screws for your covers attached to the car?

What material are the covers made of?

Thanks for the info.
JPDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 15:16   #28
slug1121

Fuel Economy: 42 avg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTDI View Post
That would be an awesome mod if done right. I'll be interested in following your progress!
I have altered my plan a bit and decided to turn the front emblem in to a twist-lock cover for the outlet, now I just need to come up with a reasonable latch system to prevent it from spinning out... I think it will work better in the cold weather than a hinge system would though. Thanks by the way, I will make sure to keep you in the know!
slug1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 19:39   #29
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

I did this recently:

Here's a link with further details on my TDI's thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=789

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 23:55   #30
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

That looks good. Nice job,just keep your extension cord short as possible.