www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 1st, 2011, 11:07   #1
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf
Default FrostHeater Plug-in Mod: My Solution w/pics

I wasn't happy with the tuck-it-in-the-grill method of storing and using the plug for my FrostHeater so I decided to mount a dedicated plug-in device.

The unit I used can be seen here though I cannot remember where I purchased it. I think I paid about $35 for it:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...28895421430288#

It is Hubble Part Number HBL61CM64.

The process:

I chose the front bumper driver's side for a couple of reasons: First, it's the side I see when I get in the car, secondly, it just looks correct to me there, and thirdly, it's where the FrostHeater cord already resided, and fourthly, this area is the flattest area on the bumper.

Prior to install, I painted the device with touch-up paint matching my car. It was a clumsy process but it came-out more than adequately. I spray clear-coated the device a couple of times after the paint cured overnight.

As for mounting: First, tape-off the whole area you'll be working on so that there aren't any scratches and so you can mark-up the area with your sharpie or pencil. I used the blue masking tape and that worked well.

After measuring carefully where I wanted the hole (this was nerve wracking part -- second in "Oh-Sh!t" factor only to once drilling a large hole through the hull of a 36 foot sailboat) I drilled a 2 inch hole using a holesaw in the correct spot. The bumper is quite soft so the drill goes through in seconds. Just be extra careful, steady and grip the drill firmly.

After drilling the main hole and using the weather-sealing gasket as a template, I marked and drilled the four mounting holes using the appropriately sized drill bit. I should note at this point that I abandoned the included mounting screws and instead, went with stainless machine screws, lock washers, and nuts. I removed the tape before continuing, of course.

The rest was quite straight forward: insert the gasket into the hole, and then thread your FrostHeater cord (with plug freshly cut-off) into the back of the gasked (inside the bumper). I then stripped the three wires and crimped-on terminals that then were tightened-down onto the device. This made for a nice, firm, attachment. So you've got a wire coming through the back of the gasket and onto the device. Then it's just a matter of sandwiching the gasket between the device and the bumper, lining-up the holes, and through bolting with the stainless hardware.

Last steps were to seal the wire entrance hole from the inside of the bumper with some liquid electrical tape and to secure the cord to the horn using zip ties thereby creating a drip loop so that any water doesn't drip into the device.

Took less than an hour start to finish (minus the painting the day before). I placed the front of the car on ramps in order to crawl under the bumper and everything was quite accessable that way.

Here's the finished product:

Of course, I cannot assume any responsibility or liability for any problems you may encounter attempting this. Do this at your own risk.

Cheers
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:57   #2
740GLE
Veteran Member

looks good, maybe a bit over stated, but looks like it'll hold up for year and years to come.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:04   #3
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

Thanks, 740. Actually, from a standing and walk around the car perspective, it's not at all bold. Those are in your face, ground level photos.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
Old September 8th, 2011, 20:31   #4
Corsair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/??

interesting and well done- thanks for sharing.
I think those plugs are available at RV / camper stores.
I suppose the tradeoff is how one feels about cutting a hole in the fascia.
2004 Jetta GL wagon 2.0L (gas) 5-spd (sold)
[also had 03 TDI GLS 5spd wagon bought new, sorely missed]
Corsair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 20:41   #5
Nurumkin

TDI(s): 04 jetta
Default re

Looks great, hope you don't mind if I copy it.
Nurumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 23:40   #6
NukeIT
Veteran Member

Looks awesome. If I lived in a cold weather climate. Would be the way I would go.
Old September 9th, 2011, 02:56   #7
Souzafone
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Worst 43+ Best 56.1 Avg. 45-46

Marinco makes one for marine use that has a rubber weather tight cover. This one is held on from the back by a large nut, a hole saw allows it to mount in the lower grill securely and unobtrusively.

“Your lack of Oink Oink shows that you are Dazed and Confused as the biggest content in your reply, I had authored .”

99.5 Jetta, whitish.
Souzafone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:43   #8
CGDoig
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg avg, 50 best

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=117822

Thats the one I did. Worked great.
Old September 9th, 2011, 16:39   #9
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurumkin View Post
Looks great, hope you don't mind if I copy it.

By all means -- that's why I posted.
Old September 9th, 2011, 16:41   #10
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGDoig View Post
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=117822

Thats the one I did. Worked great.

That's what motivated me. I knew I wanted to have it on the side. It's all good!
Old September 13th, 2011, 16:54   #11
Captain Morgan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/50

get one with auto-eject! then you dont even have to worry about unpluggin it
93 GMC Typhoon #0180 . 93 GMC Typhoon #1579 . 07 Chevy Trailblazer SS . 01 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 . 52 Cadillac Coupe
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:59   #12
The J
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Great!

I'd spray the top of the screws black to blend in a little more.

Nice write-up and install. Looks good!

I wonder if it's possible to install a plug behind the bumper sidemarker light?

Those lights come out pretty easily, but you'd need it to hinge and locking tab instead of just popping it into place like they are normally. It would be really sweet to flick a tab and hinge out the sidemarker to reveal a plug behind it.
The J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 14:02   #13
FireStorm005

Fuel Economy: 39,45,50(70mph)

Shouldn't go anywhere, but I personally would pass on putting it there on anything but a dark colored car. Anyone ever tried putting one of the round ones in a fog light bumper grille?
FireStorm005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:36   #14
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

Oly:

I like your solution. I use a similar, but chrome plated one on my big trucks. The only downside is that it is getting harder to find heavy duty cords with single receptacle on the end. Been thinking of something less obtrusive for the Jetta, so your post is quite timely.

BTW: we had a not-so-bad solution to this many years ago. It was a retractable cord reel sold as the 'Hidini' (no kidding). But, it still had that goofy plug sticking out the front (as does my wifes car at this very moment). The current normal thing to do is put the connector inside of the engine room and just pull the cord out for winter, but then you end up with a big rubber plug flapping around and making a real mess all winter.

Pat
Old September 15th, 2011, 13:02   #15
shizzler
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Solid 50, daily life.

My version: