2012 -How to turn door lock/horn off?

zznalg

TDI
2012 Graphite Blue Manual Golf 5 door
I posted this question in a thread very recently and got the following advice:

"Under the MFI settings menu, you have to navigate to the convenience
menu. Turn ATA confirm off."

The problem is, in my 2012 Golf, I do not see an ATA setting option under the convenience settings in my MFI. Is this missing in the 2012 or am I just looking in the wrong place. Thanks!

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I posted this question in a thread very recently and got the following advice:

"Under the MFI settings menu, you have to navigate to the convenience
menu. Turn ATA confirm off."

The problem is, in my 2012 Golf, I do not see an ATA setting option under the convenience settings in my MFI. Is this missing in the 2012 or am I just looking in the wrong place. Thanks!
Not sure. Have you exhausted the menu? They may have moved it or started calling it something else. You may want to check your manual.

I disabled this for my 2011 JSW and 2007 Passat wagon with VAG-COM.

Pathy01

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I just picked up a 2012 Golf and have found the same thing. It's nowhere to be found in the MFI menus even though it's listed in the manual. I am planning to invest in VCDS so I can adjust all the settings myself but I don't see why VW would take a way owner adjustable settings that were already there.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If you do not have an "ATA Confirm" option on your MFD (MFI,MFA), you will need to find someone with VCDS to change control module settings.

Have Fun!

Don

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
VW no longer allows you to modify the safety features of the vehicle without 'hacking'.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
zznalg

Sorry - I quoted the manual in my advice but also said I hadn't done this yet. Just checked mine convenience menu but the ATA confirm menu doesn't seem to be there on mine either. I'm sick of the 'honk'. I also looked at Central Electronics with VCDS. For the controller in my car the adaptation channel which sets audible lock confirmation is not available.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
I just picked up a 2012 Golf and have found the same thing. It's nowhere to be found in the MFI menus even though it's listed in the manual. I am planning to invest in VCDS so I can adjust all the settings myself but I don't see why VW would take a way owner adjustable settings that were already there.
I always say "Follow the Money". The stealership will say. Oh we can do that for you. It'll only cost you $XXXX dollars. Or you can spend more money on one of those fancy smancy VDCS things. I personnally like waking up my neighbors when I get home in the morning @0600 from a 12 hour night shift. :eek::(:):D
My 2007 Yota I could turn the horn beep off via the key FOB.

jively

TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
It's a security feature - no honk means something isn't completely shut (i.e. hatch, fuel fill door, etc.)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a security feature - no honk means something isn't completely shut (i.e. hatch, fuel fill door, etc.)
Not only does the horn beep, but the lights flash also. If you disable the horn honk but watch the lights instead - the security "feature" still works. My theory is that after a day or two, all your neighbors know your car has an alarm. After that the horn beeping is just a nuisance to annoy your neighbors early in the morning.

Have Fun!

Don

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Here you go - the VCDS procedure - All the usual VCDS disclaimers apply - Just figured this out this afternoon.

First select "09 Central Electronics" (you may need to have your car door's unlocked in order to be able to access this module).

Note choose "Coding 07" on the right hand side of the screen not "Fault Codes 02" highlighted below.

Choose "Long Code Helper" from the screen below. Note the Current coding shown below is the coding in place after I made this program change. Your coding will be different - Be sure to screen shot it before making any change.

On the screen below, you will need to click in Byte 5 on Line 3 below. It's the 5th pair of hex numbers from the left. This brings up the check boxes shown below in section 3. Un-check Bit 1 Locking Confirmation with Horn active. Then click Exit in the upper left corner.

When you click Exit it takes you back to the previous screen. The new Long Coding will be in the new coding box. Click "Do It!" You will be prompted with something that says words to the effect "Coding accepted".

I tested this program change using both car remote key fobs. It seems to work fine with no other ill effects so far. Of course anything you do with VCDS you are doing at your own risk.

Last edited:

earl rosebery

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon
Thanks very much. The VW dealer told me it couldn't be done. An independent shop in Vancouver did it in 5 mins. at no charge.

emdeeaitch

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Thanks for the VCDS tip. I don't have VCDS, but at least now I can print this out when I go to someone who does. I just discovered this today myself and was going to post until I found this thread. Very strange that they took this out, because it was handy having access to the choice. I like having the honk on most of the time to find my car in a parking lot, but it is sometimes nice to turn it off late at night before locking the car. Obviously not going to bust out VCDS at 2 a.m., so I guess it stays on all the time now!

boss_cb

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Setting security horn on or off

Thanks. You are hard to find in this thread, but worth the effort. Good Job!

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Thread resurrection :p I found this on a Google search trying to find out where the horn is located on a 2012 Jetta (anyone know that one??)
And n, this is not a safety feature, the lights should still flash when the system is armed and my Titan had the option of turning it off with the lock remote. Does anyone know a way to do this w/o all the sophisticated software??

mqoe

TDI
2012 sportwagon TDI
Took my 2012 JSW TDI for its 3 month check up, asked the nice man to please turn of the auto locking feature and the horn honk when locking. Horn no longer beeps when doors locked however the doors still auto lock on the rear doors and the hatch. Also cant open the front doors with the engine running from the out side.... why is it so difficult to accomplish this. I WANT CONTROL OF MY DOOR LOCKS!!!!! any help???

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I WANT CONTROL OF MY DOOR LOCKS!!!!! any help???

Buy VCDS, or find someone near you who has it. VCDS will give you control over locks, horn, language, lighting, and lots more. VW dealers are nearly useless for this kind of thing because these kind of changes are much more difficult with the VW dealer's scan tool and most techs do not know how to do it. It is very quick and easy with VCDS.

I believe that every VW owner should either own VCDS or have a friend nearby who has it. It is an necessary tool for many purposes and considering is usefulness, it is actually remarkably cheap.

Have Fun!

Don

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Buy VCDS, or find someone near you who has it. VCDS will give you control over locks, horn, language, lighting, and lots more. VW dealers are nearly useless for this kind of thing because these kind of changes are much more difficult with the VW dealer's scan tool and most techs do not know how to do it. It is very quick and easy with VCDS.

I believe that every VW owner should either own VCDS or have a friend nearby who has it. It is an necessary tool for many purposes and considering is usefulness, it is actually remarkably cheap.

Have Fun!

Don
Yes, when I asked about making the horn stop with the door lock that all got a look of "Duuuhhh..." on their face. No one actually said it but you could tell they were thinking it. I finally was told they couldn't do it. After pressing it was admitted they didn't know how. And they wonder why I won't go back for a free oil change. I really want the LED/projector HID lights, but I think I'm going to shoot for the VCDS first.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Not only does the horn beep, but the lights flash also. If you disable the horn honk but watch the lights instead - the security "feature" still works. My theory is that after a day or two, all your neighbors know your car has an alarm. After that the horn beeping is just a nuisance to annoy your neighbors early in the morning.

Have Fun!

Don
+1
Dealership was able to disable, but about a week later, it started again. Guess it can un-disable all by itself. The agitation doesn't go away - I just quit locking the car. Don't know which is worse, having it blast the horn or have car stolen/vandalized.
Next time at dealer, I guess we will try again.
"not because they should, but because they can"

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
+1
Dealership was able to disable, but about a week later, it started again. Guess it can un-disable all by itself. The agitation doesn't go away - I just quit locking the car. Don't know which is worse, having it blast the horn or have car stolen/vandalized.
Next time at dealer, I guess we will try again.
"not because they should, but because they can"
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but remember that this horn beeping on lock is key fob specific. If you disable it and then change keys, it will honk again. It must be disabled for each key fob.

Have Fun!

Don

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but remember that this horn beeping on lock is key fob specific. If you disable it and then change keys, it will honk again. It must be disabled for each key fob.

Have Fun!

Don
Ahhh Sir, I believe you must be on to something, My wife and I use different keys. Next trip, I will take both keys- Thanks for the advice.

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
I was going to turn the horn on lock but my wife said that how she knows the car is locked. I turned the blink off though.

All done thru VCDS which is a must have for VW owner.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
This horn beep is so quick and low I don't see how it's even bothersome. Maybe my hearing is suffering as I get older.

ravendarat

TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
This horn beep is so quick and low I don't see how it's even bothersome. Maybe my hearing is suffering as I get older.
I did my remote start through RSR so I use the factory remote to start the car, have to press the lock 3 times so if I had the horn honk turned on it means that everytime I remote start my car regardless of the time of day, my car is gonna honk 3 times, not desirable to me at all.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I did my remote start through RSR so I use the factory remote to start the car, have to press the lock 3 times so if I had the horn honk turned on it means that everytime I remote start my car regardless of the time of day, my car is gonna honk 3 times, not desirable to me at all.
Well, yeah, that could be a nuisance. Probably a nuisance too to press the remote 3 times? Can't correct that with VCDS?

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)

Have Fun!

Don
I'm pretty sure the lights still blink if something is open, but it won't honk.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Can't find these lock , unlock options

I tried code 07 and selected long coding,
But the next screen, while showing the different bytes fails to show anything worded like your example. I did't see anything referencing locking or unlocking at all.
I can arrow down to step thru the different bytes but again did not see any byte description like your example showing the lock, unlock options.

Looking to have the unlock function sound the horn in addition to the turn signals blinking.

I have 2009 vw jetta tdi sedan. .
When I start the vcrs, I select the 1K for mark v jetta

Last edited: