www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old August 28th, 2011, 10:27   #1
SpaceCityTDI

Default Changing oil on 2011 Golf TDI

Changing the oil on my 2011 Golf TDI for the first time - no owners manual (yet) - so I wanted to confirm details before I jumped in.

1) The oil drain plug is the 21mm hex plug just aft of the engine undercover, near the centerline of the car.

2) The oil filter goes into the black case on the front driver's side of the engine, with a 34mm hex on the top. I should just loosen that, pull it up, and pull out the old cartridge and drop the new one in. (Installation is the reverse of removal).

3) I've seen lots of other discussion and posts on the forum about oil types. Is any CJ-4 oil (for example, Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40) acceptable? I didn't see it listed on the 507.00 approved oils on VW's tech bulletin. The latest oil tech bulletin I saw out there was from 2008.....

Thanks in advance - great forum!
SpaceCityTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:30   #2
elconquistador
Veteran Member

I believe the oil cap is 32 mm. And no Shell Rotella T is not an acceptable oil to use. You can find a list of VS 507.00 oils listed on this forum...

elconquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:46   #3
2011 Golf TDI

Since oil changes are covered under the 3 year/36,000 maintenance package that covers your car, why are you considering changing your oil yourself? Just wondering.
2011 Golf TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:01   #4
WVU TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Golf TDI View Post
Since oil changes are covered under the 3 year/36,000 maintenance package that covers your car, why are you considering changing your oil yourself? Just wondering.
Because, for the most part, VW service techs in the US are either not familiar with TDIs at all, or are simply morons. Many many many reports of incorrect oil usage, over filling of oil, etc.

For the OP, you WILL USE 507.00 oil or you will risk having your warranty voided. Generally speaking your best bet is to either go to your local dealership's parts department and but 5L of the Castrol LL03 Professional that they stock for the TDIs. It will be in gold, 1L bottles.

You can also order oil from any one of the many TDI vendors out there, idparts.com boraparts.com kermatdi.com just to name a few. For example: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/advan...b49mm4&x=0&y=0
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6M -- turbo failed at 9500 miles.
WVU TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:19   #5
TDI_Dan
Veteran Member

Default Golf Oil Change

yes, it's a 32mm. also I read on here (and probably a few other sites) that you are not supposed to re-use the drain plug. it has a permanent copper crush washer which is a single-use item. otherwise you may risk leaks or damaging threads in the pan by overtightening. I've not verified this, it is what I read in multiple areas. (and sites selling change kits usually include a new plug) I bought an oil extractor instead. no plug replacement, no belly pan removal, no ramps required. I haven't decided if I'm going to do it myself or not. I've got a long way to go. (under 2300 miles currently) I'm going to wait until the service recommended 10,000 miles and just keep an eye on the level. I'm fortunate to live not too far from an import parts store that carries 504.00/507.00 Total Ineo at about $8 per liter. I was skeptical if it was actually 507, but after some searching, it appears to be compliant.

Good Luck.
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:25   #6
elconquistador
Veteran Member

I went with the oil extractor myself. It works great!

Old August 28th, 2011, 16:44   #7
SpaceCityTDI

Thanks everyone for the informative replies!

Why am I doing this? As WVU TDI stated, I don't trust the dealership, not just for lack of skill, but also to avoid the pain and frustration of dealing with them. This is such an easy job and I know it will be done correctly.

So I take it the drain plug description I gave was correct - I will look into the oil extractor......although I don't think I will install that while it is still under warranty.

Regarding the 507-type oils, it looks like Valvoline SynPower XL-III is available on Amazon Prime for a decent price, and that's listed in the 2008 VW tech bulletin, so there should be no problem with warranty. If anyone knows of a more up to date list of oils from VW, please let me know.

(The reason I listed the Shell oil in the previous post was based on a thorough article on turbodieselregister.com Nice comparisons of the various oils.)

Thanks again everyone!
Old August 28th, 2011, 16:49   #8
elconquistador
Veteran Member

The oil extractor is not installed. It is a device used to "pull" the oil out of the oil pan via suction. Google "Pela" and you will see what we are talking about. Some dealerships apparently use this method as well...

idparts.com is a good vendor to buy the 507.00 oil from. Haven't heard anything about Valvolne synPower though.

Old August 28th, 2011, 16:52   #9
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

You don't 'install' an oil extractor. I use the Pela 6000 on the page linked below, but most any other should work just fine.

http://www.pelaproducts.com/

Bill

Oops, near simultaneous posting!
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 18:02   #10
WVU TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40s.

Can you link us to the Valvoline you plan on using? I'm not an oil guru by any stretch, but I'm not familiar with any Valvoline oils safe for use in the 2009+ TDIs. Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV96...4579620&sr=1-2

I don't see where its listed as 507.00 approved, buy I may not be looking in the right place.
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6M -- turbo failed at 9500 miles.
WVU TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 19:24   #11
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCityTDI View Post
Thanks everyone for the informative replies!

Why am I doing this? As WVU TDI stated, I don't trust the dealership, not just for lack of skill, but also to avoid the pain and frustration of dealing with them. This is such an easy job and I know it will be done correctly.

So I take it the drain plug description I gave was correct - I will look into the oil extractor......although I don't think I will install that while it is still under warranty.

Regarding the 507-type oils, it looks like Valvoline SynPower XL-III is available on Amazon Prime for a decent price, and that's listed in the 2008 VW tech bulletin, so there should be no problem with warranty. If anyone knows of a more up to date list of oils from VW, please let me know.

(The reason I listed the Shell oil in the previous post was based on a thorough article on turbodieselregister.com Nice comparisons of the various oils.)

Thanks again everyone!
You will not go wrong with Mobil One ESP 5w30 VW 507.00. I am sure it is more locally available than even here, where it is pretty much locally available. I would not be doing anything UNDER 10,000 miles OCI's.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 21:52   #12
SpaceCityTDI

Thanks again for the info all. I will likely buy the extractor. Beats jacking up the car and crawling under it!

WVU TDI: The link you posted was for the 5W-40 version of the oil, Amazon also sells the 5W-30 version, which is the one listed on the technical bulletin.

I am basing the list of compatible oils off of VW's 2008 technical bulletin I found on myturbodiesel.com. I just searched for a variety of them on Amazon until one of them came up. The Mobil One ESP also comes up, but only the 5W-40 version, not the 5W-30 version listed in the technical bulletin.
Old August 28th, 2011, 22:47   #13
CedarPark68
Veteran Member

SpaceCity,

I'm a huge Amazon Prime customer ... I don't see the oil you mention, especially as a Prime purchase.

You are best off with M1 ESP 5w30 from Pep Boys, or also these days, most Napa stores are carrying Liqui Moly ... you can have them order Top Tec 4200.

AutoHausAZ is also a good source with free shipping if you order enough.
CedarPark68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 22:47   #14
CedarPark68
Veteran Member

SpaceCity,

I'm a huge Amazon Prime customer ... I don't see the oil you mention, especially as a Prime purchase.

You are best off with M1 ESP 5w30 from Pep Boys, or also these days, most Napa stores are carrying Liqui Moly ... you can have them order Top Tec 4200.

AutoHausAZ is also a good source with free shipping if you order enough.
CedarPark68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:38   #15
Henrick
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU TDI View Post
Because, for the most part, VW service techs in the US are either not familiar with TDIs at all, or are simply morons. Many many many reports of incorrect oil usage, over filling of oil, etc.

For the OP, you WILL USE 507.00 oil or you will risk having your warranty voided. Generally speaking your best bet is to either go to your local dealership's parts department and but 5L of the Castrol LL03 Professional that they stock for the TDIs. It will be in gold, 1L bottles.

You can also order oil from any one of the many TDI vendors out there, idparts.com boraparts.com kermatdi.com just to name a few. For example: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/advan...b49mm4&x=0&y=0
It looks like the only moron here might be the OP, because:
1) He doesn't want to visit VW dealership for oil changes he payed for insisting on doing the job correctly. That puts warranty into risk.
2) He tries to use High-SAPS oil in DPF equipped car.
3) He thinks the engine oil drain plug is actually transmission drain plug.
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote