www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old August 22nd, 2011, 16:44   #1
Franklosa

Default Catalytic Converter Problem ?? for 2011 VW GOLF TDI

I took my 2011 VW Golf TDi to the dealer today because of the warning light that indicates a malfunction/problem with the catalytic converter.

The car has a little less than 5k miles...

Does anybody know of problems with catalytic converters associated with new TDi's?

I am supposed to receive the diagnosis tomorrow and will update post with new information.
Franklosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 17:40   #2
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 78 MPG Gas

Are you getting the engine symbol lighting or the symbol that looks like a muffler?
Now, I drive more, worry less.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:56   #3
740GLE
Veteran Member

back when the early 2010's came out they tossed a MIL for ERG issues, it was linked to bad gasket, plus bad software, dealer took care of them. Not sure if this issues coming up but there's probably 1000 different reasons why you're seeing that MIL and no one will know until codes are pulled.

Have you noticed and driving/characteristic changes? how do you drive the car? lots of short trips or nice long highway burns?

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:49   #4
2011 Golf TDI

Warning light came on today. Engine symbol light rather than the light that looks like a muffler. Took it to the dealership and I am awaiting word on whether it will be fixed today. Took delivery of the car at the end of June and currently have about 1,900 miles on it.
2011 Golf TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 16:49   #5
mo_focus
Veteran Member

I think it might be exhaust sensor or something
Old October 2nd, 2011, 21:06   #6
Got Haggis?
Veteran Member

I have 5000 miles on my car and this light just came on (looks like an engine i guess...the manual claims its the 'catalytic converter' light. Hope it's nothing major, not real happy about problems so soon

the only strange thing I noticed was last week as soon as I got out of my car, I walked into a very hot air mass that was coming from my car...like..extremely hot...and then the car fan kicked in...it wasn't super hot outside, around 75 but it was very humid....temp reading on the dash seemed fine.
Got Haggis? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 22:07   #7
TDI_Timmy
Veteran Member

I can't comment on the light -

but if you do some searches for DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) on this forum and read info here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/D...AQ-VW-Audi.htm
(The light on in the pic is the DPF needs a regeneration light - or needs more attention and needs to be seen by dealer - as it will be warranty work at this point)

it might give you some more info on how the DPF regen process works and why the fans turned on - which is why your fans started running. You either shut off during a regen or just after a regen and to keep under hood temps in check and not melt the plastic (gets really hot when that DPF is going through regen) fans kick on full speed or thereabouts to push the hot air out.
TDI_Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:33   #8
shortysclimbin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk2 golf

To clear things up you have three lights that can come up for failures

1) check engine light (looks like block with a lightning bolt)
2) glow plug light (coil and it flashes)
3) DPF light

A check engine light is a more general light, it could mean you have issues with any part of the system mechanical, electrical, or computer related

A glow plug light error usually comes up with an check engine light, this is related to fuel, or glow plug issues.

A DPF light comes on with anything emissions related for DPF, or pressure related.

Some common issues I have seen and had customers with on DPFs:

1) clogged DPF pipes (VW has had four revisions of these downpipes since they first came out)

2) Bad sensors or bad gaskets

3) Intercooler pipes poping out plugging DPF

4) Turbo chargers going due to plugged or caked DPF units

5) flapper valves clogging and not operating properly so when car regenerates the particulate into ash you get a less eff. burn

The OP has an unknown issue period, I do not know if it is DPF related. Lets see what the codes/ dealer says

Got Haggis- I think your car was going through a regen cycle which goes into more detail on myturbodiesel.

11 golf- Lets wait and see what the codes where, did you have any other strange feelings or problems? Could be a loose plug, bolt, nut, or connection....

Last edited by shortysclimbin; October 7th, 2011 at 11:39.
shortysclimbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 15:45   #9
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 78 MPG Gas

No OP since August.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote