www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:13   #1
sullystull

Default School me on bio-blends and winterization

I have access to B2 diesel which I try to use on a regular basis. It is supplied to the area filling stations by Holtzman Oil Corporation. I called Holtzman to see if they winterized their fuel at all in this area--they do not. I currently do not use an additive in addition to the B2.
So, my question is, should I add a (winter) additive to my '11 JSW in addition to the B2 fuel? Will adding PS/opti-lube, etc to the B2 be okay?
I live in the mountains of WV and we see 200-260" of snow/yr...similar to the upper NE. I am concerned about gelling during those cold spells. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
sullystull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:28   #2
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullystull View Post
I have access to B2 diesel which I try to use on a regular basis. It is supplied to the area filling stations by Holtzman Oil Corporation. I called Holtzman to see if they winterized their fuel at all in this area--they do not. I currently do not use an additive in addition to the B2.
So, my question is, should I add a (winter) additive to my '11 JSW in addition to the B2 fuel? Will adding PS/opti-lube, etc to the B2 be okay?
I live in the mountains of WV and we see 200-260" of snow/yr...similar to the upper NE. I am concerned about gelling during those cold spells. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I live in northern MN, and we have a state regulation of B5. No issues w/pump fuel to date, even w/o additives, although I do usually add a shot of PowerService White bottle formula when I run the tank down to the fuel light before refueling. I figure this dose will have the best chance of removing any moisture left in the current fuel and treat the soon to be added fuel. I haven't had any issue(s) w/"gelling" even down to -30F. I am concerned more with water in the fuel. That can give trouble at any temp below freezing, although never had that issue either, yet.
What kind of low temps are common for your location?
I don't know if any additives are officially VWOA approved for the new TDIs.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:50   #3
Navy Chief

TDI(s): 2011 Jetta
Fuel Economy: around 42

If they are not winterizing their fuel I would add the recommended dose of Powerservice in the white bottle every fill up to ensure that you do not have any gelling issues with the fuel. Even if they are winterizing the fuel the additional protection from the powerservice is not going to hurt.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:37   #4
sullystull

Thanks for the info! The low extreme for us would be nights dipping into the -15F range with highs in the day only hitting 5F for a few days straight. Again, that's the extreme lows--nothing too crazy. I guess I'll start using an additive (with the B2 blend) once temps begin to drop.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:06   #5
naturist
Veteran Member

@sullystull, you shouldn't have any trouble with B2-B5 if you add the PowerService. The current blend is supposed to be able to deal with blends up to B20. For what it is worth, I'm a bit south of you, our extremes only go as low as about -10, and I've run B20 w/ PowerService in those temperatures and never had a problem.
naturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:13   #6
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
So, my question is, should I add a (winter) additive to my '11 JSW in addition to the B2 fuel? .....
I think the answer you got from the fuel supplier is misleading. There are standards that diesel fuel has to meet for pour point, etc., depending on where normal temp "averages" are for the area. While they may not add the additives, then it is probably ordered from the refinery to meet those standards. Regardless, for peace of mind, it may be best to use PS anyways-unless it creates a warranty issue with the '11 TDI.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:27   #7
740GLE
Veteran Member

remember there's pour point and cloud point, two different temps. With straight untreated bio won't cloud point also lead to problems on initial start up and cold filters?

Stating that, I've never had a problem running B5 from the truckstop pumps with either stanadyne or PS White all year round clodest I saw on the MFD was -12F.

Last edited by 740GLE; August 24th, 2011 at 08:32.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:39   #8
sullystull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
remember there's pour point and cloud point, two different temps. With straight untreated bio won't cloud point also lead to problems on initial start up and cold filters?

Stating that, I've never had a problem running B5 from the truckstop pumps with either stanadyne or PS White all year round clodest I saw on the MFD was -12F.
You're running the additive year round in your B5 fuel?
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:12   #9
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:

1) Yes, they are different temps.
2) I guess it depends on what temp you're referring to.
I run straight pump diesel fuel (B5 +/- MN) until it gets -0F then start using some PS additive, never had any issue(s) starting or w/filters (and I run a CAT 2 micron on the '01). BUT, the stations here all have fuel that is well "additve enhanced" for the normal temps expected for that time of year-with a healthy fudge factor. Some (Holiday in particular) post a sign detailing what temp the fuel is figured for and the time of year these temps are "expected".
I've had -34F on the Scan Gauge intake temp, which is always warmer than ambient when driving and with normal pump fuel B5. For whatever reason (and I have a theory), I get better warm weather fuel mileage w/o additives, so I use it when I consider needed.
Your results can/will vary.

Last edited by jettawreck; August 24th, 2011 at 10:20.
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:07   #10
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're running the additive year round in your B5 fuel?
sure, why not?

I guess I mentioned this for those reading and are thinking of splash mixing bio to make B2 or B5, that the added bio to a cold tank might sludge up much easier than the straight road pump D2.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:09   #11
sullystull

Quote:
sure, why not?
Just was curious, that's all. Thanks for sharing!