www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old August 17th, 2011, 22:07   #1
BleachedBora

Thumbs up Boraparts.com 02J 5 -> 6 speed Conversion Kits!

Ordering information here.

Well folks, this kit has been a work in progress since 2005. Yes, 2005. Finally, after...well...a lot of things, we are ready to post this up. We will have pricing very soon. This is a complete bolt on kit to turn your 02J 5-speed transmission into a 6-speed. You will therefore retain your original clutch, starter, axles, mounts, shift box/linkage, etc... Everything needed to do the swap will be included in this kit. There will be different price levels depending on what you want to do.

Kits will be offered with a .658, .622 and (probably) .586 6th gear. Once you start going taller than a .586 gear strength becomes an issue. We will have options for taller ring and pinions, and probably eventually we'll have a custom R&P that can be installed.

The plan is to start with the 02J, but as interest grows for other kits we will expand. This is not limited to the TDI either, this kit will also work for the gassers. We will update this thread with information as it becomes available.

Meanwhile, here is a pic of our first working unit.

Last edited by BleachedBora; May 15th, 2012 at 12:16.
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 22:24   #2
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Congrats! My Smyth build will eventually need some of those crazy tall gears. I'm not going to be happy unless 5000rpm in 6th gear = 170mph.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 22:35   #3
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

So I am assuming that if someone were to go with the .586 that you would want to have something like a .681 or .658 5th gear then? Would this be part of the package as that would be a huge bump from one gear to the next?

What would someone who spends 75% at 65mph, 20% at 75mph and the rest in town want in order to be able to still drive it comfortably? I would think .681 5th and .658 6th.

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 301K miles. Malone stage 3. Titan 502 big hole injectors. VNT17 turbo. BuzzKen 2.5" down pipe. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
79TA7.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 22:53   #4
DCdesign
Veteran Member

Keep up the good work Aaron!
RC4+ 24psi, 17/22, 11mm pump, 3" SS Kerma Turbo-Back, Titan 764's , STG II Franko6 Cam, ARP STUDS, SouthBend Stage 3 daily, Eurojet RACE FMIC, Custom Intercooler piping, OMI, TT Shifter/LCA's, 42 Draft aluminum shift bushings, DG Panzer FMJ, PD150 Intake, Race Pipe, Koni STR.T, GLI Sport springs, TT Brakes Front, GLI rear, 18" GLI BBS RC's, Poly bushings, O-bar, komfortblinker.Www.mmautocycle.com
DCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 23:32   #5
BleachedBora

Thanks guys! I've been chomping at the bit for years, but I'm glad to finally have these up for everyone to start planning for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79TA7.6 View Post
So I am assuming that if someone were to go with the .586 that you would want to have something like a .681 or .658 5th gear then? Would this be part of the package as that would be a huge bump from one gear to the next?

What would someone who spends 75% at 65mph, 20% at 75mph and the rest in town want in order to be able to still drive it comfortably? I would think .681 5th and .658 6th.
I'll be working on charts, but if one were to go the least expensive route they'd keep their stock 5th gear and get a .622 or .586 (that ratio is not set in stone) 6th gear. That would put them at roughly (very roughly!) 75 MPH at 2,000 RPM. Also the drop from 5th to 6th would be similar to the drop from 4th to 5th, so it'd not be an overly crazy ratio to deal with. This goes in line with our idea in making the 6th gear a true overdrive gear. Obviously the more you change from your current setup the higher the cost will be.

Another option is if you're someone who tows and wants the ability to cruise in 5th we could do a gasser stock 5th gear and add a .681 6th gear for when they are not towing. There are plenty of possibilities!

-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 23:57   #6
AUGSX
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mostly city/ 43 best

Will this work with my 3.16 RG and current Limited Slip?

2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd

Build thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307477
AUGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 02:27   #7
squire89
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 jetta
Fuel Economy: low 40s

...prices?
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:13   #8
arne487
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62.4 max, 53 avg

Lots of questions (some already asked). Will an 02J LSD and CTN R&P still work in this setup? Will any strengthening or oiling mods be offered? How much torque will it be able to handle? And most importantly, how much will it cost?
arne487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 13:34   #9
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora View Post
This is a complete bolt on kit to turn your 02J 5-speed transmission into a 6-speed.
Oooh! You found the fabled good ol' boy that VW hosed!! Good work!
Old August 18th, 2011, 16:50   #10
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora View Post

I'll be working on charts, but if one were to go the least expensive route they'd keep their stock 5th gear and get a .622 or .586 (that ratio is not set in stone) 6th gear. That would put them at roughly (very roughly!) 75 MPH at 2,000 RPM. Also the drop from 5th to 6th would be similar to the drop from 4th to 5th, so it'd not be an overly crazy ratio to deal with. This goes in line with our idea in making the 6th gear a true overdrive gear. Obviously the more you change from your current setup the higher the cost will be.

-BB
That sounds like a great idea! Would a WaveTrac fit, also?

df
Old August 18th, 2011, 17:25   #11
boertje
Veteran Member

Now he comes out with this after I sold my 5 speed out of my bug. Oh well.
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 18:04   #12
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

Curious if the cruise still works too. If I knew more about transmissions I would likely not have to ask this, but I am asking.

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 301K miles. Malone stage 3. Titan 502 big hole injectors. VNT17 turbo. BuzzKen 2.5" down pipe. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
79TA7.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:39   #13
mech644
Veteran Member

Yup, I'm down for this, depending on cost of course. Looking fwd to anwers for the above ?'s.
2015 GHB SEL 1.8 tsi
2014 Touareg
mech644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:37   #14
drklawz

Default i think i love you

subscribing to this one! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, we need a viable, affordable option.

I'd talked with you before about the .658 for cruising in the mountain states... sounds like i should hold off on that and wait...patiently wait.

ALH w/ 02J gets goosed!
drklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:47   #15
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Very interested in this add on 6th gear. Surprised it took me so long to spot the thread. How much testing has been done with the first transmission?
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote