www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 14th, 2011, 22:06   #1
TDIdragon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32-City 36-Hwy 30-Towing
Question Fuel Door Actuator Solenoid Quest

Okay... I have been putting up with what I thought was a fuel door switch issues for several weeks now. Today I got the bug to fix it. So, I took the switch out and tested it. The switch works. It works really well.

Against my better judgement with only an hour before bedtime, I dove into the trunk of my Golf to test the wiring to the actuator. First a little background here: I did fix the actuator on my ALH Jetta by just cleaning it (and the rest of the car was worse). So, I was somewhat familiar with the process. I thought it would be just as "easy" as the Jetta. I was wrong. The fuel door actuator in the Golf is actually up C-pillar which requires removing the trunk carpeting, the deck lid track and part of the C-pillar covering. After loosing one of my sockets to the depths of the interior, I ended up taking out more of the molding than initially planned and cursing uncontrollably...

Okay, I digress. Long story short(ish), after testing the switch, the wiring, and the actuator; I have found the actuator to be faulty. My plan is to put in a manual release lever in the trunk area, but I would like the switch in the driver's door to still be operational. I have found plenty of used actuators for $30-$35, but I would really like to get a new one without visiting the stealership (dealership for those of you not familiar with VW TDI lingo). Does anyone have a vendor they can point me to while I still have the trunk torn apart?

BTW - the part number is 1J6810773C.

Cheers!
2004 Golf TDI-PD GL 5-speed
TDIdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 22:20   #2
AARodriguez Corp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIdragon View Post
My plan is to put in a manual release lever in the trunk area, but I would like the switch in the driver's door to still be operational.

Does anyone have a vendor they can point me to while I still have the trunk torn apart?
BTW - the part number is 1J6810773C.
Cheers!
That would be me (Vendor), how is this for a manual release, Fuel Door Remote

$45 for a used actuator, and a Fuel Door Remote Kit
http://www.aarodriguezcorp.com/fuel-...mote-kit1.html
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:40   #3
TDIdragon
Veteran Member

That's a really nice setup. However, it still relies on that actuator to work. I was thinking of a T-handle in the trunk in case any of failure of the motor or the electrical circuit that powers it.

$45 for the actuator doesn't seem bad at all, and if it includes the remote kit - then that is a hell of a deal! I could have 3 ways to potentially get into my fuel tank (not including the credit card method I have been using).

Most importantly, though, I need that actuator.
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:37   #4
TDIdragon
Veteran Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzboys View Post
That would be me (Vendor), how is this for a manual release, Fuel Door Remote

$45 for a used actuator, and a Fuel Door Remote Kit
http://www.aarodriguezcorp.com/fuel-...mote-kit1.html
In any case, you have a used actuator that you are willing to sell me for $45 + a fuel door remote kit? How much is shipping to 78258?
Old August 17th, 2011, 15:59   #5
AARodriguez Corp.

$5.00 for USPS priority mail