www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2011

TDIFest 2011 Discussion about TDIFest 2011 on the Labour Day weekend (September 2-4th, 2011) in Lexington, KY.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:08   #1
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!
Post Big Changes to Car Show Format

TDI Fest 2011 Show ' Shine event information

25 August, 2011: Show entry is limited to vehicles (cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc.) presently powered by a diesel engine.

Show Classes:
Three Classes are available this year. Classes are separated into Stock, Modified, and Radical levels of change from original condition. The decision to use these classifications, which are based upon degree of modification instead of by chassis generation, was made to permit non VW diesel powered vehicles to compete on an more equal basis with the more customary VW vehicle entries, to reduce the number of classification sub-categories, and to simplify judging.

15 August, 2011: A fourth, non-judged, class has been added for those that want to be eligible for the People's Choice and Longevity awards but not have the pressure of fully preparing the car for the judged portion. Just specify when you arrive at the show registration tent that you wish for a non-judged entry form.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Class selection:

The Exhibitor will choose the one class in which he or she wishes for their entry vehicle to compete when registering at the show area on the day of the show. This class choice is up to the entrant to decide. It is not for the judges or registration personnel to classify a vehicle. Any car could be entered in any of the three classes, but it will be judged to the criteria, and using the score sheet, of the class the exhibitor will have selected upon entry to the show arena.

An exhibitor may think that the modifications they have made are minor, would be at most a minimal deduction, and that they would do better overall if entered and competing in a 'stock' class, than if competing against the entries in the 'modified' class.
Or they may think that their class ranked score of their lightly modified car would be better if it were to be entered in the 'modified' class than if it were entered in the 'stock' class.
Or that the quality and execution of their less extensive modifications are enough to counter a more highly changed, but less well done, entry in the 'radical' class.
The entrant will need to consider in advance which class he or she thinks their entry vehicle will be a better competitor based on the guide or examples suggested in the Class Descriptions below.

Class descriptions:

Stock: As delivered new from the dealer, or as could have been delivered new from the original dealer. Only equipment, options and accessories offered through the manufacturer or original dealer for that vehicle in the year of the car’s manufacture are considered to be ‘stock’.
For example: A4 handbrake cup holders should be on a late A4 and would a deduction if not present, but would not be original to an early A4 and would be a deduction if they were installed.

Modified: Exchanges, upgrades or retrofitting of non-original items into the vehicle.
For example: other manufacturer's stereo systems, aftermarket wheels, added tint on windows, front mount intercoolers.
or installation of items intended for other model cars into the vehicle.
For example:
Exchanges between models: installing GTI seats in a TDI, or Jolf or Getta nose swaps.
Exchanges between brands: Audi wheels on a VW.
Exchanges between markets: Euro code lights on US cars or Euro badges.

Radical: much more extreme in scope than Modified, more than mere bolt on or swapping of like for like components, requiring engineering and fabrication of items.
For example:
Suicide doors, AWD installations, TDI Eos, or a gull-wing SL Mercedes with CDI engine swap.

Ranking for Recognition Awards

Each of the three classes is being judged to a different standard. To maintain equality between classes, the points earned by an entry in each class will be converted to a percent of that class's leader's score.
For example:
If the entry with the highest judged score points in the 'Stock' class earned 50 points, and another entry in that same class earned 45 points, that second entry earned 90% of that class leader's points.
If the highest judged score in the 'Radical' class were 80 points and an entry in 'Radical' earned 60 points, that is 75% of that class leader's points.
The 'Stock' entry earning 90% of the 'Stock' class leader points will be ranked higher in consideration of recognition than the 'Radical' entry earning 75% of that 'Radical' class leader's points.

Best in Show (one award):
Each of the class leading entries, as based on judged points earned, will be entered as nominees in a "run-off" to select a Best in Show. The selection of one entry from these three class leaders to earn this Best in Show award will be performed by a judge that hadn't judged any of the classes. This Best in Show selection is a non-scored selection. The selection criteria is simply: "Is this stock class nominee a better representation of 'stock', than this modified nominee is a representation of 'modified', or this radical nominee is a representation of 'radical'? The one entry selected from these three nominees will earn the recognition of “Best in Show”.

August 25 2011: Note that this Best in Show judging is an additional judging that will take place after all the cars are judged for class ranking. The top scoring vehicle in each of the three judged classes must be present for the three way run-off judging for best in show.
If a top score in class vehicle is not present at the time of the Best in Show judging, the selection for Best in Show will be from the remaining class leaders present. The missing vehicle(s) will still earn the best in class award for their class, but will not be eligible for the Best in Show.
Should none of the three class leader vehicles not be present for the Best in Show judging, the highest Longevity score of those three class leaders will be used to select the Best in Show recipient.

Best in Class (two awards):
The two remaining nominees in the run-off will each be declared “Best in Class” in recognition of earning the most points of all the entries in their chosen class.

Top Ten (seven awards):
The next seven highest percentage earning entries, regardless of class, will receive recognition for scoring well against their class leader. These recognition awards are based on the percentage of points an entry earned relative to that class's leader’s judged points. Doing well and being tougher competition for a class leader will gain recognition. Being a more distant second to the class leader in a class size of two entries isn't enough for recognition this year.

People's Choice (one award):
One selection, un-judged, un-pointed, based on a popular vote ballot, will be chosen.

Longevity (one award):
One show vehicle will receive recognition as a hard use survivor. The selection of the entry earning this recognition is based on a show vehicle's information and application of a formula to that data.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The right to revise this information between now and the actual day of the show is reserved, but I don’t expect there will be any significant changes. Official information will be available at the show registration area on the morning of the show.

Lug_Nut
3 August, 2011

Update: 15 August, 2011: I've created a non-judged category to allow those that would prefer to not 'compete' for the judged points and those ten recognition award that the judges will be deciding, yet still wish to be entered for the voting for the "People's Choice" award and for the longevity award.
This declaration of "stock", "modified", "radical", or this newly added 'not judged' classification, needs to be made when the vehicle is entered.
Due to scoring tabulation requirements it will not be possible to change the classification later, so consider carefully before arriving to register for the show on Saturday.

Update 25 August, 2011: I've added a contingency action should one or more of the best in class vehicles not be present for the Best in Show judging. See the Best in Show section for details.
I've added an eligibility clause that the vehicle must be diesel powered. I know it's expected to be, but wasn't specified.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; August 25th, 2011 at 16:19. Reason: added updates
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:06   #2
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Very nice! "Winning" the A3 class a few years ago was a bit of a hollow victory since my only competitor was another A3 which clearly was not prepped for show. Good, reliable car, yes. Clean and show-worthy, no. These changes will make placement more of a challenge... perhaps even impossible for me since my car is not so pristine these days.

I suspect "Modified" will be the fullest class.
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 03:07   #3
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Question on the Longevity award: Is this simply going to be the car with the most miles?
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:50   #4
TDIDaveNH
Left Lane Coal Roller at Large

TDI(s): 1997 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Longevity (one award):
One show vehicle will receive recognition as a hard use survivor. The selection of the entry earning this recognition is based on a show vehicle's information and application of a formula to that data.
Pray Tell,
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:56   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Having been in the vintage VW scene for many years, I almost have to laugh at the thought of a car show involving such infants*... but I understand this is 'what the people want' so I am cool with that. I'd still like to see an actual swap meet, though. I mean, if we are going to treat our new(ish) cars to shows, why not treat them to a swap meet to we can sell/buy/trade all our 'NOS' and used 'vintage' parts?

*sorry, but a guy polishing his 5 month old Jetta in a parking lot does not seem as trophy worthy as a guy polishing his painstakingly restored 1955 Beetle.

Don't get me wrong, I love all these cars, even the ones their owners seem to hate, just not sure about the competition aspect of the show. I much more enjoy the banter and such.
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:41   #6
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

OH,

I get your sentiment. But there's another view, too. My first show entered was in 1999 near Dallas, TX. I took first place from a guy who had been winning every year for a LONG time with his European 1989(?) GTI with 8400km (yes, 84 HUNDRED KMs). He was really pissed that the car he bought new, kept in a garage, and drove ONLY TO SHOWS lost to a much younger car despite the fact mine was daily driven and had over 45,000 miles on it. To add insult to injury, I also took "farthest traveled to show" from him. Driving up from Monterrey Mexico each year, he was accustomed to taking that award and was boasting about doing it again until I pointed out I had driven in from NM (650 miles to his 572). He went home empty handed for the first time in YEARS and was really peeved. Don't get me wrong. I really liked his car/display and asked a lot of questions. I had no expectation of winning anything.

But I also had no idea anyone could get so cranky over a car show. The tirade solidified my position that I'd never get torqued over how a show went. I enter the shows to get a great parking spot where plenty are around to "watch" the car. If I win, great. If not, so what! But I do ask judges what I could have done to improve my score. The majority of folks who've been annoyed by me placing had nice cars. But they weren't CLEAN beyond just the paint. And they certainly weren't as "used" as mine. Again, I don't care if I win. But I also don't sympathize with someone who didn't win if they didn't bring a good show.

BTW, living in NM meant my car usually looked like this the day before and the day after a show:

I'm very confident I put more work into polishing my "new" car, especially the wheel wells and engine bay, than the other guy put into driving his garaged-stored, hardly-driven beauty. I don't think my car will be as much of a head-turner next month as it once was. But, however it looks, my efforts will be shown on the tail end of a 5000-mile summer vacation including a trip back to White Sands, NM. In other words, I will be CLEANING before I show. I think it's cool that TDIFest judges take the odometer into consideration at our shows. Not sure if that'll still be the case this year. But it's all good!

Take Care,

Scott
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:10   #7
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

Thanks for this....you just made up my mind! The car will sit in the parking lot

2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Frost Silver/Titan Black
1996 Passat TDI Storm Grey
1984 Mercedes 300D Blue/Green

Last edited by tomo366; August 11th, 2011 at 19:55.
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:22   #8
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: Tdi avg 48.6mpg. BMW avg 10 CPM and practically NO MAINTENANCE!

Great job setting up the judging criteria. I like the score normalizing (like grading on a curve.) Well done. I hope the Fest members love this show.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:27   #9
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

I think everyone who brings a TDI should be able to park in the 'show' area, regardless of your entrance into any said show.
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:49   #10
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I think everyone who brings a TDI should be able to park in the 'show' area, regardless of your entrance into any said show.
Agreed. However, I can understand the logic behind segregating show cars from personal displays or parked cars if that's the direction they take. Segregation speeds up the judging and ensures none of the show cars are missed if parked in a fringe area. If the cars are intermingled, I would suggest the cars do something obvious to indicate their "status" such as hoods-up for show and hoods-down for parked. Yes, the show cars will likely have special tags in the windows. But the hoods would make it obvious from a distance. Of course, I'm sure the organizers are well ahead of us and already have a plan that makes this idea look really elementary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
Thanks for this....you just made up my mind! The car will sit in the parking lot and I will not bother
I don't understand this. Is this an "if I'm not guaranteed a trophy then I won't play" thing? I think any car that's special in one way or another (swaps, cool mods, unique color, super-clean, older than average, etc) should show with or without any appropriate amount of "show prep." Dirty or clean, a cool car will be appreciated if shown. Brand new stock cars? Sure, show them. I'm sure they'd need to be perfect to place. But our shows are too small to feature a lot of classes. Three trophies for a class with four cars is dumb. And buying three trophies for a class which winds up having just two cars is a waste for the club. This new format will elimate waste while ensuring the best are recognized... not just the really good cars, not just great cars... THE BEST (according to prescribed criteria).

We're there to see the cars, meet the people, and support the site. The best of the best will place. The rest of us can just show off. I'd be pleased to place at the show; but I'd respect the work and dedication of those who outshowed me if I leave empty handed. There's nothing wrong with not placing, especially if the competition is worthy.

Scott
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:59   #11
PeterV
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

This format change is for this year. Lets try and accept change it might be for the good. My '00 TRed has been in every fest and every S&S. Sure I have many TDIclub awards perhaps I will not win any this year we shall see.

I sure would like to see a certain white 2 dr Golf here... And dog training driver.
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 13:44   #12
Bonjonbart

TDI(s): 2000 Golf GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
I sure would like to see a certain white 2 dr Golf here... And dog training driver.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!

I work every Labor Day Weekend. It's pre-arranged 10 months in advance.
You'll have to see a certain white 2 dr Golf in your neighborhood or you can stare at my profile picture until you're all "Golfed" out.
I'm not sharing it with anyone ... I can barely bring myself to share it with my spouse of 30 years.
Old August 5th, 2011, 14:16   #13
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth TDI View Post

I don't understand this. Is this an "if I'm not guaranteed a trophy then I won't play" thing? I think any car that's special in one way or another (swaps, cool mods, unique color, super-clean, older than average, etc) should show with or without any appropriate amount of "show prep." Dirty or clean, a cool car will be appreciated if shown. Brand new stock cars? Sure, show them. I'm sure they'd need to be perfect to place. But our shows are too small to feature a lot of classes. Three trophies for a class with four cars is dumb. And buying three trophies for a class which winds up having just two cars is a waste for the club. This new format will elimate waste while ensuring the best are recognized... not just the really good cars, not just great cars... THE BEST (according to prescribed criteria).

We're there to see the cars, meet the people, and support the site. The best of the best will place. The rest of us can just show off. I'd be pleased to place at the show; but I'd respect the work and dedication of those who outshowed me if I leave empty handed. There's nothing wrong with not placing, especially if the competition is worthy.

Scott
I could care less if I get a trophy.....and why are you putting in words I didn't say? I just don't care for the format...
They are telling me because I put vent shades on the car and tinted the windows and put split mirrors and a bra my car isn't stock......these changes do not make my car a modified car....
So I am not going to take the 2-3 days to clean and polish the car to get it ready for the show,
I will just look at everybody elses cars and not show it....not a problem and not upset.

Tom

2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Frost Silver/Titan Black
1996 Passat TDI Storm Grey
1984 Mercedes 300D Blue/Green
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 14:34   #14
paramedick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
They are telling me because I put vent shades on the car and tinted the windows and put split mirrors and a bra my car isn't stock......these changes do not make my car a modified car....

Tom
Are they VW accessories that the dealer could have installed at delivery? If so, they qualify as "stock". Something to think about....
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 14:37   #15
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Tom,

I didn't put words in your mouth. I asked if that's what drove your comments. I admit my choice of words was crude. But that's how your remarks read to the casual observer. Regarding your mods, the format clearly allows a car with mods to enter in stock. Entrants just have to accept a points deduction for out of class mods. I think a car with light mods prepped to the max can beat a completely stock car that's not as detailed. Just sayin'.

Scott