Urea in 2012 Passat

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'm just ready for the debate:

ONLY USE VW BRANDED DFE, ALL OTHERS ARE JUNK AND WILL MAKE YOUR CAR BLOW UP AND WILL STEAL THE SOUL OF YOUR FIRST BORN. STICK TO OEM FLUIDS OR ELSE!!!!

Santa2ya

TDI
None

ONLY USE VW BRANDED DFE, ALL OTHERS ARE JUNK AND WILL MAKE YOUR CAR BLOW UP AND WILL STEAL THE SOUL OF YOUR FIRST BORN. STICK TO OEM FLUIDS OR ELSE!!!!

You will viod your warranty if you use anything other than VW adblue & have a certified VW mechanic install said fluid. I believe this is on page OU812 of the owners manual. :D

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)

???? What prompted this inane comment?

Gee...I can buy a full tank (5 gal.)of adblue from a local dealer for $27. What was the Walmart price? for what quantity?

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Walmart and PepBoys also sells this. If worse comes, collect your pee and boil it to increase urea concentration. Use that as adblue.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Walmart and PepBoys also sells this. If worse comes, collect your pee and boil it to increase urea concentration. Use that as adblue.
Yo...newbies...he's JOKING!!! You have to dye it blue, as well. (yes, I'm joking, too!!):D

irondogger

TDI
'12 Sportwagen TDI
Aux urea

I keep telling my wife to keep an ice chest full of beer in the trunk should we be 'stranded' in west West Texas, low on Adblue. German beer required to produce VW approved urea. Preferably Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, value for the Deutsche Mark. :rolleyes:

L8r,.............dogger

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I keep telling my wife to keep an ice chest full of beer in the trunk should we be 'stranded' in west West Texas, low on Adblue. German beer required to produce VW approved urea. Preferably Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, value for the Deutsche Mark. :rolleyes:

L8r,.............dogger
Deutsche Mark? LOL! They haven't been around for quite a while. I have a few of them and Pfennigs too.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Is it as simple as just keep refilling with urea?
I heard somewhere you should drain the urea tank every xx,xxx miles and refill with "fresh" urea.:confused:
What's the consequence if you don't drain out the "old" urea in the tank?
No, that was in reference to your bladder; if you wait too long, the consequences are obvious. :D

Aja1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I'm at 15,200 miles and I called the dealer to see if I needed to come in for the adblue top-off. He said that only if the warning light comes on which suprised me, I thought it was an every 15k kind of service. But he confirmed that if the light comes on between 10k services that no appointment is needed to fill it up, just drop by and they will add it.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
I'm at 15,200 miles and I called the dealer to see if I needed to come in for the adblue top-off. He said that only if the warning light comes on which suprised me, I thought it was an every 15k kind of service. But he confirmed that if the light comes on between 10k services that no appointment is needed to fill it up, just drop by and they will add it.
They were supposed to have topped it off at your 10,000 mile service.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

L8r,.............dogger
Granted, there is not much in west West Texas, but any place that sells Diesel will also sell DEF for your car. It is literally everywhere.

Bill

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
On the note of Urea, I ran mine down to 350 miles left - only because I knew it was being serviced right after the fest and before the mileage ran out.

If anyone runs the urea out they are either blind or an idiot.:confused: First, the MFD warning pops up each time you start the car starting at 1,500 miles to go. At 650 miles to go the warning goes of - while you are driving - and the yellow fill warning flashes at the top of the MFD. From then on, to at least 350 miles, the top of the MFD flashes between the normal direction, time, trans mode and the yellow fill warning. You can't miss the fill warning flashing.

Not sure what would happen if you go lower than 350 miles as that is when mine was refilled. Sorry I didn't get pictures I didn't think of it and should have.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If it runs completely out you get 20 starts.... then it has to be towed.

Which is similar to other DEF rigs. I think GM slowly imposes a speed limited, limiting how fast you can go and gradually decreases it untill your SOL. But still it's not like the dash wouldn't be screaming for DEF for quite some time before you got to that point.

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
I just bought a 1/2 gallon bottle from the dealer for $13. They wanted $40 plus cost of adBlue to top it off at the same time with the oil change. From reading this thread should I understand that ANY DEF will be fine? I plan on cutting the bottom off the bottle and refill with DEF bought from somewhere else.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's pretty pricey! You can buy it cheaper elsewhere. DEF is DEF is DEF no matter where you buy it, it's all the same.

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
Canadian Passats don't come with the complimentary service offered in the US, so my 10k mile service would run about $220 after oil, tire rotation and urea. That's why I'm trying to do most of the work myself and have a few stupid questions.

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
Just had my 10k (miles) done today. They added just under 2.5 gallons. So, For me that should be about 20K miles on a tank of urea.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
You will viod your warranty if you use anything other than VW adblue & have a certified VW mechanic install said fluid. I believe this is on page OU812 of the owners manual. :D
And you don't want to know what that certified VW mechanic has to do if the stealership happen to be out of the Adblue stuff.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
People should stop perpetuating this. Urine is not def fluid. Urine is mostly water. Any one that actually tries this is bound to damage their car. Some one is bound to try it though as everything on the internet is true.... right?