www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 29th, 2011, 18:31   #1
iwannaatdi

TDI(s): 98 Jetta
Default Starting Problem 98 Jetta

I am having a problem starting my 98 Jetta. When I turn the key over to start. I lose power to the clock and the milage. When I turn off I get power restored and there is a clicking on the left side of steering wheel. I have replaced the ignition switch. Thank you in advance.
iwannaatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 18:48   #2
iwannaatdi

Default Starting Problem 98 Jetta

I have also replace the 109 relay. I have been searching the post but have not found anything thats close to what I have trouble with.
Old July 29th, 2011, 18:52   #3
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Bad battery or bad connections maybe, dirty earth etc?

Seatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 19:16   #4
iwannaatdi

Default Thanks

The battery worked not getting the clicking but starter will not engauge.
Old July 29th, 2011, 20:15   #5
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

maybe the solonoid for the starter is the culrit, how long has it been like this?

Seatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 20:32   #6
iwannaatdi

I drove the car Sunday every thing was fine, Monday morning it would not start, tried to jump with another car nothing. After work look at it again was able to jump the car from another. Went around the block, shut the car off, Started acting crazy. Ordered ignition switch, replaced, changed 109 relay, almost same as b4. Changed battery, good light, no start . Pushed started, I am charging battery, after 10 minutes, charger says battery charged. I am thinking Alternator, will have it checked at auto zone tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:01   #7
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

Bad grounds possibly,but I'm thinking starter bit the dust. The metal braided strap on top of starter that I think goes from solenoid to starter tends to disintegrate.Look to spend around $140 or more with your old starter from your local stores(Advance,Autozone,Napa,etc...)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:20   #8
iwannaatdi

I changed the starter, didnt start. Checked the old starter which was good. With the key off,I put the meter on ground and the red on positive on the battery I am getting 12.65 volts. I disconnect one of the wires on positive cable it goes to zero. I think the alarm is bad is there a way to disconnect it? Or any other suggestions.
Old August 8th, 2011, 16:37   #9
ctrlburn

Fuel Economy: 2000 Best:50.57 Avg:46 / 1999 Best:???? Avg:????/ 1998 Best:42 Avg: 42
Default Symptom Clarification - for broken solenoid braided wire

My 1998 Jetta TDI normal sequence when reconnecting battery: Clicking left side of steering wheel is alarm module behind the light switches (white poly box) . A "whirring" at the left rear, (doors unlocking?) and running lights blink.

I just disassembled mine - almost same symptoms - metal braid on starter to solenoid disintegrated completely through.

Prior to disassembly for solenoid to starter wire failure when just turning the key with the solenoid to starter wire broken - it mine did not trigger clicking in the alarm module, or odometer/clock reset.

If yours is doing that same sequence when you turn your key - it is the same as mine when the battery is removed from the circuit, sorry no insight as to "why?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny View Post
Bad grounds possibly,but I'm thinking starter bit the dust. The metal braided strap on top of starter that I think goes from solenoid to starter tends to disintegrate.Look to spend around $140 or more with your old starter from your local stores(Advance,Autozone,Napa,etc...)
ctrlburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 16:17   #10
ajo134

I Am currently having the same problems with my 97 jetta tdi. Was this problem ever resolved? I have already replaced the ignition switch, relay 109 and have cleaned all the ground wires. I check all the fuses in the fuse panels and the fuses in the engine compartment. When I turn my key to the on position the clock and odometer go dim and no gauges on the dash turn on. The engine cranks great but it does not start. What was the final culprit?

Last edited by ajo134; December 4th, 2011 at 19:46.
ajo134 is offline   Reply With Quote