www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old July 27th, 2011, 21:09   #1
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

TDI(s): idi
Default BURNT TOAST, AHU with rover pump... TDI-M

the car.... 1985 grumman kubvan, low floor..

stock, 1.6 idi auto tragic..

day i got it, 5-15-11

after bumper to bumper... so on.. tdi-m build.. so on..

6-25-11

in detail of what was done..
http://www.crsmp5.com/burnt_toast/burnt_toast.htm

CRSMP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:07   #2
AndyBees
Veteran Member

The first thing I'd do is get rid of the K&N filter.............the MAF doesn't like the oil that comes off that filter! The OEM style filter system or equivalent is much better.

What/how will you be using the vehicle? Delivery?

Edit: I followed the Link above and then reviewed the various link titles within. The one on 6/23/11 has a terrible off-taste title! Not appealling at all! In fact, I find it rather offensive!.........just my two cents! Otherwise, seems to be a neat machine!

Last edited by AndyBees; July 28th, 2011 at 10:13. Reason: Add comment
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:47   #3
v8volvo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
The first thing I'd do is get rid of the K&N filter.............the MAF doesn't like the oil that comes off that filter! The OEM style filter system or equivalent is much better.
M-TDI = no MAF.

Neat looking rig.

v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:57   #4
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default Manual TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
M-TDI = no MAF.

Neat looking rig.

I agree...but, he had it the other way around TDI M. And, earlier in the post he said something about it being an auto when it was a 1.6.

So, I was just assuming it was a Manual as in a 5-speed!
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:48   #5
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

rover pump...... that in its self should say m.. add that to no maf in photo..

titles are what they are.. including 6-23... at least it does not say offering free candy.. or seeking alter boys... crap like that much more offensive if you think 6-23 bad...

even has a 3" stripper... affixed to my cup holder made from a real prostic.. so if you dislike my humor.. i suggest you no look..

what im doing... well i have historical plates, classic care insurance.. so no real work.. more of cross country trips/camping/fun times.. was supposed to do 7k road trip in a couple weeks, but my travel friend just had major surgery and well postponed till spring now..

headed from o-crap-o to seattle, down the cost and back thru the lower section.. hit up yellowstone, gran canyon and all that stuff.. there is no real reason for it other then riding with doors open, burning bio... and good times to be had..

Last edited by CRSMP5; July 28th, 2011 at 11:51.
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:58   #6
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

I remember seeing this thing on Craigslist.

Awesome find. Have fun on the road trip. Are you going to Make it to Volksfest in Pataskala, OH in August?

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:19   #7
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

mine came from ben imadison wisc... doubt it was this one...

think the white one was the ftd one on cragslist.. its getting passed round like a crack whore.. no one wants to show it needed love...

this is a low floor.. much more room in back vs rest ive seen forsale.. and only reason i bought it.. 2nd one ive ever seen with caddy style rear suspention..

notice wheel tubs...

polished one from mk1madness... idea of rear room differance... my floor goes to the bumper... may not seem like much, till you see them side by side..

not heard of show in ohio... shoot me over some info..

Last edited by CRSMP5; July 28th, 2011 at 12:23.
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:20   #8
slimbadboy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 jetta

Move on please. This thread isnt for whinning douches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Edit: I followed the Link above and then reviewed the various link titles within. The one on 6/23/11 has a terrible off-taste title! Not appealling at all! In fact, I find it rather offensive!.........just my two cents! Otherwise, seems to be a neat machine!
slimbadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 17:39   #9
G60ING
Veteran Member

I love these things
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 17:49   #10
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts

what a great TDI swap! Is there room for a dirtbike or a couple mt bikes in back?
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 18:17   #11
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Saturday Aug 13th

http://www.covvc.org/

would be awesome to see you there.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 19:57   #12
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Guys, I'll be around for a long time to come......ain't going nowhere! And, if I see something I don't like, I'll say so or maybe keep to myself!

The link was there and I followed....

And, Slimbadboy..........I am not a damn whinning douche. Go get a life!

And, as I said, pretty neat machine!
Old July 28th, 2011, 20:44   #13
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

the low floor has room for say a dirtbike.. hell a 10 speed stands in back with no issues.. high floor... no way....

sadly this model i cannot seem to find any info on.. thru discussions at mk1 madness.. guy in cali with both a kurbwatt (electric version) and a low floor i put a cis 1.8 5 speed in back in 97.. aka other low floor ive ever seen.. guy in canada with http://www.divemaster.ca/kubvans/ who has tons of kubvan info.. he has never seen a low floor till my pics showed up to him.. its a odd model.. got all the 84 and older kubvan info i can find.. but not a thing on 85....

yes link still exists.. :P it was 1st night out with the beast.. and trust me.. for stupidity sake.. i was cruizing with someone... its so fun to drive...

aug 13th is doable.. thanks for the link... someone on vwdiesel.net may also have to attend.. he is a central ohio person and wants to see this sooo bad.. ill make sure he has info too..

unlike the other kubvan builds ive seen pop up over a year or so... im not flipping mine.. i did the work.. i spent the loot.. i did things how i feel they should be done.. its my baby.. now if it was a high floor.. and i needed funds fo ra low floor.. then id sell it.. but as far as im concerned.. of the 3 kubvan models i know of (litature says 2 kv 70 and kv100).. this is the best of the best..

my build pages has some interesting photos... link in 1st post.. how i did 11" front brakes.. fitted porsche wheels.. kept my functioning ability of cruizin with doors open and such.. the clutch master.. shifter (that will be redesigned over winter.. out of money and time type of thing) along with all kinds of other goodies will be added..

for the original 5 week build.. i think i did pretty good. .i know some improvements need made.. all projects do.. whats fun with the kubvan is its such a huge blank page to play with...

so thanks for the kind words..

and growler.. everyone asks me if this is the one NLS sold in pa, he got it from some guy in nc.. he fliped it with good profit.. ben in madson wi sold me this one as he horded it for 4 years.. just lacked funds/time to do it.. between those 2 people.. id have loved to see how they would build one.. lucky for me.. ben hooked me up with the rairest of rair kubvans.. which he knew... and IMO has found a good home..

Last edited by CRSMP5; July 28th, 2011 at 20:52.
Old July 28th, 2011, 23:03   #14
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSMP5 View Post
there is no real reason for it other then riding with doors open, burning bio... and good times to be had..
I like this^^^
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:39   #15
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

couple days to the show..... no idea if

will show or not... went and picked that up monday.. guy from cali bought it.. needs major bumper to bumper.. but his attending depends on if he has time to piss away

also gotta see this..

which is hit real hard up front..

gotta meet a guy with 2 ford tempo powered kubvans.. factory built.. who wants a diesel conversion.. soon project for me.. and at some poo dunk gas station.. stopped to see why oops started to bleed oil on mine.. met a guy who used to build roofs for kubvans..