www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:26   #16
Driver72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Berry View Post
chrysler vans with vw diesel engines were exported for years. i don't know if that is still happening. driver72 you do know you can buy a crd sprinter with windows and seats?
Yes, but they are way too big.
Wouldn't fit in my garage, much less most parking garages.
Driver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:33   #17
Honeydew
Veteran Member

You could buy a ford transit and buy a diesel for it. An Australian scrap yard has a 2.4L transit diesel engine listed on their site for $650 AUD.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:02   #18
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, 49-55 Peugeot

You'll not fit a Transit 2.4 engine into a Transit Connect.
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:30   #19
Honeydew
Veteran Member

I see. Looks like they have a full-size transit like the Sprinter. Nevermind!
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:54   #20
ecarnell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
That's not true.
Last year I got a new 2010 Honda Odyssey Touring (the fully loaded version) and it's window sticker said $44,800
Since the 2011's were coming out that same week (which I'm glad I didn't get since the styling is not as good) I got a pretty good deal on the minivan, and my lease payments are only $439 a month.
I've gotten as much as 30.5 mpg with this van on a road trip (driving mildly at 70 mph since I was traveling with family with an RV.
But in the city I get only 17-18 mpg in the thing and in mixed driving average around 20-21 mpg. Definitely better than the huge SUV's which weigh 1000 lbs more and have V8's.
The touring Odyssey has cylinder deactivation that shuts down and drives on 3 cylinders when cruising so it helps highway mileage immensely.
But I still would love to have a diesel minivan for even better gas mileage and the big low end torque.

My boss has a BMW X5 diesel.
Just because you spend higher bucks on cars, doesn't mean you don't want to save a bit on gas and enjoy the torque of a diesel.

If VW ever comes back out with their own minivan again (not the rebadged Chrysler) I think they'll put the 3.0l TDI in it for us Americans.
Ford and Chevy are out of the minivan business. Simply because the ones they made were crap and they didn't even try to make them very competitive in the final 5-8 years of both their minivans. Nobody bought them, so they stopped making them.
I'll bet Ford will get back in the minivan game in the coming years.
I made a very general statement - should have said "most" ofthese customers.

Let's be serious - if you spend $40,000 + on a vehicle - fuel costs aren't on the top of your list.

Your depreciation alone on these fairly expensive vehicles (X5 for example) will be much higher than the potential fuel savings.

You bought a mini van and you like/want more torque? Is the 250 ft lbs not enough? What are you pulling? As I said - the mini van engines these days are pretty good.

If fuel prices were a major concern we would all be buying 4 cylinder vehicles like Mazda 5's and learning to live/travel like our parents had too(pre mini van era).....
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 17:51   #21
Driver72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
I made a very general statement - should have said "most" ofthese customers.

Let's be serious - if you spend $40,000 + on a vehicle - fuel costs aren't on the top of your list.

Your depreciation alone on these fairly expensive vehicles (X5 for example) will be much higher than the potential fuel savings.

You bought a mini van and you like/want more torque? Is the 250 ft lbs not enough? What are you pulling? As I said - the mini van engines these days are pretty good.

If fuel prices were a major concern we would all be buying 4 cylinder vehicles like Mazda 5's and learning to live/travel like our parents had too(pre mini van era).....
No the Honda minivan's 3.5 liter is strong enough.
It actually has the same 0-60 time of about 8 seconds flat as my Golf TDI DSG.

it's not that I'd need or want more power in the minivan, but having better gas mileage without having to push on the go pedal quite as hard would be nice.
I don't haul/tow anything with the van, but I do often put 600-700 lbs of people and/or equipment in the back.
Even then, the van never feel sluggish.

My TDI is the first diesel I've personally owned, and I just like the sound, feel, torque, and engine braking the diesel has, plus the "gas" mileage is a bonus too, as long as the premium $ to purchase the diesel option isn't too great. Luckily where I live diesel fuel is only about .12-.15 cents higher than regular gas. In Arizona recently I noticed it was about .40-.50 cents higher.
In that state, if it's like that most of the time, you'd be nuts to buy a diesel vehicle unless you need to two a large item often.
Driver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 20:15   #22
Bugdoc
Veteran Member

It's market-driven: the belief, probably backed up with some data, is that the primary drivers of minivans (ie soccer moms and dads) don't want to mess with smelly expensive diesel.

When we got my wife's A3 a few years back she wanted nothing to do with diesel (never mind who's paying the bills LOL). And I fear that she will end up putting gas in my TDI because cars are just appliances to her (nothing wrong with that, just the way it is.)
Bugdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 20:28   #23
Bugdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'll bet Ford will get back in the minivan game in the coming years.
Ford didn't get out of the minivan game, having the highly rated C-Max, S-Max and Galaxy. Just not in our market. And they have modern diesels.
Bugdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:15   #24
maroonfrog1
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Diesel minivan

Quote:
No the Honda minivan's 3.5 liter is strong enough.
It actually has the same 0-60 time of about 8 seconds flat as my Golf TDI DSG.

it's not that I'd need or want more power in the minivan, but having better gas mileage without having to push on the go pedal quite as hard would be nice.
I don't haul/tow anything with the van, but I do often put 600-700 lbs of people and/or equipment in the back.
Even then, the van never feel sluggish.

My TDI is the first diesel I've personally owned, and I just like the sound, feel, torque, and engine braking the diesel has, plus the "gas" mileage is a bonus too, as long as the premium $ to purchase the diesel option isn't too great. Luckily where I live diesel fuel is only about .12-.15 cents higher than regular gas. In Arizona recently I noticed it was about .40-.50 cents higher.
In that state, if it's like that most of the time, you'd be nuts to buy a diesel vehicle unless you need to two a large item often.
My '11 Audi A3 TDI is also the first diesel I've owned. I feel like I'm late to the game, but better late than never. As a reference point, my wife's '08 Highlander Hybrid SUV seats 7 comfortably, gets an annual average of 21 mpg. When we bought it, we were hoping for much better than that, but we're city folks, mostly doing city driving, with city-street commutes. My A3 TDI is averaging 27 mpg, so that's 29% better, but five people in that car feels like spam-in-a-can. Since we have four more years of driving teenage girls around, we would love a diesel minivan option -- as long as the mpg was somewhere in the average annual range of 25-30 mpg (here in North Texas where it's hot most of the time). Seems to me as if a 5-cyl TDI in a slick body that evokes sexy more than soccer would sell well here and get mpg in that range!?
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:23   #25
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

Have a look at Volkswagen's Euro website and check out the Sharan.

Wouldn't that work? The days of 6-cylinder minivans in Europe are over though.
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:21   #26
6910sb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Quote:
Luckily where I live diesel fuel is only about .12-.15 cents higher than regular gas. In Arizona recently I noticed it was about .40-.50 cents higher.
Diesel has a 34 cent premium over RUG in my area. However, my TDI is still 29% more cost efficient than my wife's CRV.

YMMV

That said, I would love to see a diesel minivan, or SUV here in the States.
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:12   #27
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

I do believe the first North American diesel minivan was built by David Rock (the Davidsfarm guy).

One junk ChryCo minivan + one 1.6TD + one welder + one redneck = one diesel minivan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote