www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mountain/Southwest States

Mountain/Southwest States Local discussions for those Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, & New Mexico

Old July 24th, 2011, 01:31   #1
xTheChadx
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 81 Dasher
Default Denver Emissions Testing...

Hello i am moving to Denver this sept, luckly my tags will be good untill Aug of 2012, but after that im worried about passing emissons with my TDI.. anyone from denver and had any problems? im lucky and KS has no emissions at all
Old July 24th, 2011, 13:12   #2
TDI Stevestr
Veteran Member

Default Colorado Diesel Emissions Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTheChadx View Post
Hello i am moving to Denver this sept, luckly my tags will be good untill Aug of 2012, but after that im worried about passing emissons with my TDI.. anyone from denver and had any problems? im lucky and KS has no emissions at all
Honestly the "clean air" folks don't go into very much specifics for Diesels.

Also, just a heads up, you're supposed to get your license and tags within 90 days of becoming a "permanent" resident. I suppose if no one complains and you don't get stopped until Aug '12 you will be OK in that department.

Denver is in the "enhanced" inspection area.

Update: According to the Air Care site you have 15 days in which to register the vehicle and get the emissions test done. See http://aircarecolorado.com/consumer-...new-residents/

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/ap/mobile.html#Diesel Emissions Control Program
Small fleets and privately-owned diesel vehicles take part in the Diesel Opacity Inspection Program. This program is for all light-duty diesel vehicles as well as heavy-duty diesel vehicles not subject to the large fleet self-certification program. The Diesel Opacity Inspection Program requires that eligible vehicles be inspected on an annual basis by private, state-licensed diesel inspection stations. New light-duty diesel vehicles are exempt from testing for four years. The program applies only to the Automobile Inspection and Readjustment Program area and utilizes a loaded mode dynamometer-based test.
From the use of "opacity" sounds like they are just gunning it and seeing what color the smoke is out the back.

The inspection is not cheap, since it is run like California and some other states, in which the inspections for Diesels are not covered by the state emissions test centers. You have to go to an approved shop and pay whatever they want to charge for the test.

Here's a list of the shops:
http://aircarecolorado.com/locations...-test-centers/
Here's a list of the shops with the pricing that is updated frequently:
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/ap/down...ationrates.pdf
Hope that helps somewhat.

5K149M 2011 Golf 4-DR 2.0L TDI Auto Exterior: A1A1 - Black / Interior: KA - Titan Black
Options: 9VE Dynaudio; 9W7 Bluetooth; GTM Rubber Mats and Chrome Exhaust (Port); P71 Navigation (310); P83 Xenon Headlamps; W79 Cold Weather Package
Mechatronics: 1 / Transmissions: 1 (14,200 Mi) ** VCDS/VAGCom Available **

Last edited by TDI Stevestr; July 24th, 2011 at 13:26. Reason: Add info
TDI Stevestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 23:29   #3
xTheChadx
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 81 Dasher

yeah that does, thanks alot, just wondering if anyone has had any problems with mods on there car...
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:25   #4
Behemecoatyl
Banned

Denver tests ONLY for opacity. There is no inspection. Unless your engine smokes like a steam engine then you will have no trouble passing. Diesels Only on Alameda is the cheapest and the least likely to fail somebody for modifications.
Behemecoatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:14   #5
DrFaustus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~40 MPG

I've used Diesel Testing Center on Havana. I had enough mods that I WAS smoking like a freight train. They worked with me while I got the emissions under control without any hassles at all.
1970 Triumph Spitfire - Alternator conversion, Camber compensator, Dual SUs, Overdive, Custom dash
DrFaustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:43   #6
Conan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 GLS TDI
Fuel Economy: 32-48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemecoatyl View Post
Denver tests ONLY for opacity. There is no inspection. Unless your engine smokes like a steam engine then you will have no trouble passing. Diesels Only on Alameda is the cheapest and the least likely to fail somebody for modifications.
In a bone stock '03 Jetta TDI that wasn't smoking visibly at all, I failed TWICE! (At fifty bucks a pop.) Opacity testing here is a complete joke. After my second failure, a guy with a similar car passed the test, smoking like a freight train. It's a racket. There is, however, a solution. PM sent.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:46   #7
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

Register the car on the Western slope!
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:38   #8
Conan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 GLS TDI
Fuel Economy: 32-48

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighassassin View Post
Register the car on the Western slope!
I think that is getting harder to do. I don't remember the exact details, but I think the address on your driver's license, registration, and other DMV records have to match. Too many people were playing that game.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 21:26   #9
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

They don't have to match, I've done it. Just tell them it is your 2nd address. Usually the county you try and register in, does not want to lose out on the tax revenue so they don't even question it. Many communities on the Western slope do not have house postal delivery meaning you need a PO BOX. So you put down a physical address and also a mailing address.
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:52   #10
sdeck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-42 avg Jetta, 45-46 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I think that is getting harder to do. I don't remember the exact details, but I think the address on your driver's license, registration, and other DMV records have to match. Too many people were playing that game.
Won't work. Diesel emissions are state-wide. opacity limit is 35%. They put it on a dyno and gun the crap out of it (sometimes literally). Anderson Foreign Auto on West Colfax has been good working with me.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249556
sdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:27   #11
Auslndr

I do not believe the testing is statewide. I live in Teller County and we are exempt (for now). According to the Colorado Department of Revenue, "The full counties of Boulder, Jefferson, Broomfield, Denver, and Douglas, and the partial counties of Adams and Arapahoe, Larimer, Weld, and El Paso" have required emission testing.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1186648384011

Now, I will say this. I've purchased a Golf TDI from the Denver area and a Ford F250 from south of Parker, and both titles indicated they were "gas" engines. I suspect the previous owner(s) somehow had the title changed so they could bypass emission testing. I don't know how, but I found it suspicious nonetheless.

Auslndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 14:23   #12
sdeck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-42 avg Jetta, 45-46 Passat

You are correct. I am in Larimer and we got rid of mandatory testing a few years ago EXCEPT for diesels. I was told diesels were statewide. Of course mandatory testing of gas engines is back now in the northern front range because revenues are down.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249556
sdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 15:39   #13
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 45mpg on B100

Progressive Diesel in Englewood is pretty good, and is less than $60 for the test. Never had any issues passing the opacity.

"We think B20 is for suckers" - N. Cowell, Denver B100
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 13:40   #14
TDI Stevestr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslndr View Post
I do not believe the testing is statewide. I live in Teller County and we are exempt (for now). According to the Colorado Department of Revenue, "The full counties of Boulder, Jefferson, Broomfield, Denver, and Douglas, and the partial counties of Adams and Arapahoe, Larimer, Weld, and El Paso" have required emission testing.

Now, I will say this. I've purchased a Golf TDI from the Denver area and a Ford F250 from south of Parker, and both titles indicated they were "gas" engines. I suspect the previous owner(s) somehow had the title changed so they could bypass emission testing. I don't know how, but I found it suspicious nonetheless.
I live in Adams and I think the DMV is just used to registering gas vehicles. My first copy said Gas and I had it changed to diesel. Gas cost slightly more to register here and I have a feeling it may cause trouble with Air Car Colorado later on down the road that will be a bigger headache. But judging the number of smoking diesels I have come across around here the testing requirements must only be for certain areas of Colorado as you said.

5K149M 2011 Golf 4-DR 2.0L TDI Auto Exterior: A1A1 - Black / Interior: KA - Titan Black
Options: 9VE Dynaudio; 9W7 Bluetooth; GTM Rubber Mats and Chrome Exhaust (Port); P71 Navigation (310); P83 Xenon Headlamps; W79 Cold Weather Package
Old August 16th, 2011, 13:42   #15
TDI Stevestr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslndr View Post

Pretty good find there. Thanks for the link. The testing schedule for gas vs diesel is about the same for new vehicles - exempt for 4 then every 2. The only thing is that diesels are not tested via the mobile stations parked along the freeway entrance ramps so there is no chance to pass there and skip a test.