www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 14:24   #1
Sarahvici0us

Fuel Economy: 42
Default Weeping EGR

I just looked at my car today and my EGR has a small oil leak.
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI. It's not leaking profusivley, or enough for me to notice that the oil is missing whenever I check the dipstick.

Is there anything I can do to stop the EGR from leaking? I was thinking about cleaning up the intake hoses and just doing a complete all around inspection to see if that helps with anything.

Could buying a new EGR help my cause at all? I've read that it's normal for these kinds of cars to leak oil at the EGR, but I'm a worrywart and would like some help and advice.
Sarahvici0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 14:36   #2
Sarahvici0us

Fuel Economy: 42

Oh yeah, my car is at 145k miles.
Sarahvici0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 17:31   #3
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

My '01 EGR weeps some. I put a clean small rag under it and change to a new one when its oil change time. I don't worry about it, but a new one would fix it.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 20:02   #4
Keith_J
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 MPG @ 80 MPH with 2 bikes on top. 52 MPG @ 60 MPH slick

Yes, cleaning the intake and intercooler will help. As will removing the EGR valve and cleaning it too.

Make sure the crankcase pressure isn't high, the ALH engines have an oil control baffle in the valve cover, I don't think yours can be taken apart to be cleaned. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, these will raise crankcase pressure since the vacuum pump discharges air into the valve cover area, increasing the rate of flow of air through the crankcase ventilation system.

You could insert a small brass tube into the vent hole that is weeping oil, venting it to a small catch container. Remember, it needs to be open to atmospheric pressure since that is what pushes the EGR open. Plug it and the EGR will not function.
2k Jetta manual. PP520s. Ventectomy, Panzer Plate, DT hitch, 16"s w/ 205 55s. Short shifter. Boost gauge with blue LED backlight, same intensity as dash. Blistein struts and shocks. 0.658:1 5th gear swap and LOVING IT.
Keith_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:45   #5
PDJetta
Veteran Member

The EGR is completely different on the PDs, as opposed to the ALH engined TDIs. Its electrical on the '04 and there is no diaphragm or weep hole. I suppose it could be leaking from the o-ring that seals it to the intake manifold.

One thing that really leaks oil on the BEW is the joint between the throttle housing and the rubber boost elbow (this is normal from the mist in the intake charge from blowby and turbo seals). The throttle housing sits to the left of the EGR valve (when looking at it, standing in front of the car). Replacing its O-ring can help a lot. And installing this will prevent future leaks and also keep the joint from pulling apart:

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-str...anifold/Detail

--Nate