www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010+) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old July 17th, 2011, 05:52   #1
Luidwig

Default 2011 Golf TDI Navigation System Question

New owner of a 2011 Golf TDI, great fuel mileage. I'm in a quandary about the clock (time setting). The expectation is the navigation system would use satellite time, not the manual entry time from the user. The service manager at Pete Moore advised me and I quote; "The VW navigation system works off of a two satellite system signal". Amazing that a highly engineered GPS system would use outdated technology and use the 2-D Trilateration (satellite triangulation) vs. the standard 3-D system. Rather than spending $500 on the Nav option I could have got better accuracy using a $84 Tom Tom unit from Wal-Mart. Does anyone know of a software update or is the SM BS....ing me?
Luidwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 00:03   #2
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Coming soon

It sounds more like the service manager does not know exactly what he is talking about.

The navigation unit will connect to a maximum of 8 satellites for 3-D triangulation. You will be able to pinpoint (within a few feet, of course), latitude, longitude, and elevation.

It will not be able to get time/date info, however. Time is set through the MFI screen.
Old July 18th, 2011, 03:24   #3
Rob_MacCara
Veteran Member

I'm curious to which company supplies the "guts" to the Nav 315 system?
Old July 18th, 2011, 03:52   #4
c17chief
Veteran Member

Pretty amazing how the people that typicaly know the least about a car is the dealerships selling them.
c17chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:02   #5
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Coming soon

Rob,

According to the label on the 315's I have in stock, They are manufactured by TechniSat GMbH.

I've never heard of them.
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:55   #6
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat 6.8-7.2 L/100 km Golf 4.8-5.5 L/100 km (summer-winter)

Whatever, it seems to work pretty well though the odd mistake creeps in like an address being on the wrong side of the street. We nicknamed ours "Our Lady of Lost Souls" because of the female voice (I have mine set to talk in French). I often disobey her when I have a better route in mind to get to the general vicinity of where I'm going, then I let her navigate the route to the exact spot.

I'm much happier with it than using my Garmin GPSMap 296 in car mode.
05 Passat TDI
Toys: 79 Beech Sundowner, 12 Cervelo R3 Team Ultegra, '94 Marinoni Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 14:14   #7
Rob_MacCara
Veteran Member

Thanks for that - are we able to apply updates to them? Mine is a couple years out of date on some major new roads in my area.
Old July 18th, 2011, 15:09   #8
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_MacCara View Post
Thanks for that - are we able to apply updates to them? Mine is a couple years out of date on some major new roads in my area.
VW Nav updates
05 Passat TDI
Old July 18th, 2011, 15:42   #9
Rob_MacCara
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link Mike. Unfortunately it doesn't give a revision number other than a year. I'd like to think that my '11 came with the latest maps, but who knows - maybe they are just horribly out of date!
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:18   #10
Biffster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI

My GPS is an angry, insistent alpha-b1tch who can't handle being countermanded.

It's a love/hate relationship.
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:19   #11
Biffster
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
$200 (!)

Really?!?
Old July 19th, 2011, 19:14   #12
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
$200 (!)
Really?!?
Yeah that caught my eye too. Makes the old Mk I GPS look like a bargain (eyeball and gas station road map). I wonder if there's a cheaper way?
05 Passat TDI
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:57   #13
c17chief
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah that caught my eye too. Makes the old Mk I GPS look like a bargain (eyeball and gas station road map). I wonder if there's a cheaper way?

There was for the Honda I had. A little time searching the internet + a blank dual layer DVD is all it took.

Don't know if that would be as easy to accomplish with these though since VW's are not as common in N. America as Hondas are, thus I imagine it would be harder to find what you are after if it's there to be found in the first place.

Last edited by c17chief; July 20th, 2011 at 07:59.
c17chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:14   #14
rambalu80
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by c17chief View Post
There was for the Honda I had. A little time searching the internet + a blank dual layer DVD is all it took.

Don't know if that would be as easy to accomplish with these though since VW's are not as common in N. America as Hondas are, thus I imagine it would be harder to find what you are after if it's there to be found in the first place.
Not just Honda's...BMW's too. My 2007 328i came with the OEM 2007.2 DVD. Since then, there have been 4-5 DVD updates some with Dual Layer DVD's and for the past couple of years Single Layer but East Coast and West Coast on separate DVD's. E90 Post message board members shared the torrent links and have even updated the DVD's with red light and speed camera listings.

Not sure any of this can be done with the RNS-315 map data.

VCDS available in the Greater Houston area

rambalu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:33   #15
Biffster
Veteran Member

Quote:
Anyone with a VW OEM GPS installed needs to register at these sites:
http://gpsunderground.com/forum/car-...en-seat-skoda/
http://vwnavi.com/
http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-ca...-entertainment

It keeps tabs on ALL of the latest worldwide software/firmware updates for virtually every model available, along with available download links.

I *did* find the following RNS-510 updates *FREELY* available (both USA and EU). They're big, multi-GB files. I'll see if one of my domains can handle the traffic without incurring additional charges. Some of the smaller files are likely UPDATES instead of full downloads.

Files:
EUROPE WEST V7.1 2011 CD_7388 (3.95GB)
RNS510-SW3970 (1/3976/3978/3974) (500MB) (USA) (Info Link)
RNS510-V7East CD_7334 (2.6GB)
RNS510 V7.0 West Europe incl Dutch POIs (4.8GB)

Last edited by Biffster; July 20th, 2011 at 12:11.
Biffster is offline   Reply With Quote