www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You



Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:03   #241
lddrew
Member
 
lddrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: GA
TDI(s): none yet :(
Fuel Economy: 16/21 in the Dmax
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociT View Post
I asked you if your truck had the fuel related issues. I SAID in that same post I hoped you didn't.


I also said in that post I worked for GM as a Customer Relation Manager, but what do I know, right?


Don't go out of your way to talk ****, you'll lose.
you said i hope i didn't exactly where??

"Welcome!

Has your Duramax flooded it's crankcase yet or are you one of the lucky ones?"
__________________
07 LBZ Duramax 4x4
-one day will have a 1.9 TDI 5spd
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:05   #242
KryPTiC
Newbie
 
KryPTiC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default

He is just mad because GM didn't give him a free Duramax.
__________________
2001 Jetta TDI - Stock, for now.
2003 Duramax - Lots of stuff
1999 F350 7.3 - Stock
KryPTiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:14   #243
tdi90hp
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: brampton,ont
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociT View Post
I think he must have.

When I hear 'new GM Diesel coming 2013', the first thing I think is 'coming to dealer service departments everywhere late 2013'.
here comes MR +VE....Why not give GM a chance to release the new product before jumping all over them.....Plenty of cars of every make in service departments. Funny my over 15 GM's in my life have required regular service. Never a major challenge (trans, engine, electronics)....so take your GM hate elsewhere bud. The Cruze diesel is gonna put a bit of a fire under VWs butt and force other manufacturers to rethink their Diesel strategy. Why should VW own this market? Every comment of yours is negative....so why dont you go away?
tdi90hp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:17   #244
KryPTiC
Newbie
 
KryPTiC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi90hp View Post
here comes MR +VE....Why not give GM a chance to release the new product before jumping all over them.....Plenty of cars of every make in service departments. Funny my over 15 GM's in my life have required regular service. Never a major challenge (trans, engine, electronics)....so take your GM hate elsewhere bud. The Cruze diesel is gonna put a bit of a fire under VWs butt and force other manufacturers to rethink their Diesel strategy. Why should VW own this market? Every comment of yours is negative....so why dont you go away?
If GM makes another diesel as good as the Duramax, then VW is going to have a run for their money.
__________________
2001 Jetta TDI - Stock, for now.
2003 Duramax - Lots of stuff
1999 F350 7.3 - Stock
KryPTiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:23   #245
Robo48
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: michigan
Default

My thoughts are this: The EPA needs to loosen up regulations on diesels in the US. At some point when you hinder HP and mileage are we really improving emissions? I will be watching the "diesel cruze" situation from a distance to see what happens with it and after some real world R&D testing if it all works out might buy one. Really wish GM wouldn't have scrapped the "small duramax" they had nearly done for the 1/2 ton truck line. I understand they were in the final testing of the engine and had it doing laps between here and Colorado towing 10,000lbs and the numbers on it were great...mileage...HP...etc!! It would be very interesting to see a small diesel in a 1/2 ton silverado....I would most likely own one if the mileage and durability were up to spec....
Robo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:18   #246
tdi90hp
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: brampton,ont
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo48 View Post
My thoughts are this: The EPA needs to loosen up regulations on diesels in the US. At some point when you hinder HP and mileage are we really improving emissions? I will be watching the "diesel cruze" situation from a distance to see what happens with it and after some real world R&D testing if it all works out might buy one. Really wish GM wouldn't have scrapped the "small duramax" they had nearly done for the 1/2 ton truck line. I understand they were in the final testing of the engine and had it doing laps between here and Colorado towing 10,000lbs and the numbers on it were great...mileage...HP...etc!! It would be very interesting to see a small diesel in a 1/2 ton silverado....I would most likely own one if the mileage and durability were up to spec....
ditto....I do NOT understand the big 3s lack of push in this direction. a nice V6 diesel in a 1/2 tonne just makes sooooo much sense.....why are they waiting? the Ecoboost is a colossal waste of money in my opinion as the mileage is a BIT better than an 8 cylinder and the premium to buy the motor is 2K...where is the win? need a Diesel V6 Full size desperately.
tdi90hp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:29   #247
lddrew
Member
 
lddrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: GA
TDI(s): none yet :(
Fuel Economy: 16/21 in the Dmax
Default

the reason the 4.5l dmax and 4.4l PSD got put on the shelf is because the economy went in the trash and EPA laws are getting more and more strict. I would drive the hell out of a 4.5l max. The thing people don't realize is that it would be a 5000 dollar option. ford ecoboost option is 800 bucks. also it would take away from 3/4 and 1 ton sales
__________________
07 LBZ Duramax 4x4
-one day will have a 1.9 TDI 5spd
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:40   #248
MrMopar
Veteran Member
 
MrMopar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Bloomington, IL
TDI(s): none
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryPTiC View Post
If Isuzu makes another diesel as good as the Duramax, then VW is going to have a run for their money.
Fixed that for you.
__________________
"If you think the Indians got their asses handed to them, wait 'til we play cowboys and globalists."
MrMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:04   #249
lddrew
Member
 
lddrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: GA
TDI(s): none yet :(
Fuel Economy: 16/21 in the Dmax
Default

Ford and dodge didn't make theirs either. Detroit wasn't working out. Isuzu was the best option to partner with. Sales prove it to be a very effective and reliablee platform. Dmax is made in Ohio. 6.7 ford in mexico
__________________
07 LBZ Duramax 4x4
-one day will have a 1.9 TDI 5spd
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:54   #250
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member
 
Chris Tobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tennessee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddrew View Post
the reason the 4.5l dmax and 4.4l PSD got put on the shelf is because the economy went in the trash and EPA laws are getting more and more strict. I would drive the hell out of a 4.5l max. The thing people don't realize is that it would be a 5000 dollar option. ford ecoboost option is 800 bucks. also it would take away from 3/4 and 1 ton sales
The 4.5L Dmax would make similar power and torque to the LB7 Duramax in its stock form so GM could actually offer TWO Duramax engines in the 3/4- and 1-ton trucks. The 4.5L would be the entry level engine while the 6.6 would be the HP option. And if they put the 4.5L into production in the 1500 it would immediately shoot to the top of all the performance categories!!! Fuel mileage, horsepower, torque, towing capacity and so on all would be best in class! It would also be great in the Suburban, Avalanche and Tahoe and maybe even the Trailblazer or other midsize SUVs...

I made these arguments to a GM exec at the 2011 GM HD launch and he listened and even called his secretary to look up some Suburban 2500 sales stats, but they still haven't pulled the trigger so I am guessing that it still isn't financially feasible. But the 4.5L Dmax is production ready, they just need to pull the trigger and do it!
__________________
Chris Tobin Freelance Editor & Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS & other mags
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.
Chris Tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:29   #251
lddrew
Member
 
lddrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: GA
TDI(s): none yet :(
Fuel Economy: 16/21 in the Dmax
Default

Oh yeah it is absolutely ready. And it would be amazing. back when it was developed none of the emissions bull**** had dropped yet. so now it would be fitted with dpf/urea systems that add cost.

The new dmax 2011+ LML has an ECM that cannot be legally cracked to run performance tunes. One of the few company's that can delete the def/dpf has to leave the country. I am afraid the era of simple diesel performance is going to the wayside with all the new emissions/government mandates.

that same emissions and ECM configuration would have to be put on the 4.5l in order to mass produce it. This would hinder the fantastic fuel mileage that could be achieved by some points, and people don't like having to buy DEF on top of expensive diesel maintenance. This and a limited performance market make it seem very difficult to pony up for a 5000 dollar option.

I would agree with you 1000% if all of the emissions/EPA stuff hadn't hit the fan in 2007.
I drive the last truck before DPF's became mandated.
__________________
07 LBZ Duramax 4x4
-one day will have a 1.9 TDI 5spd
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:06   #252
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member
 
Chris Tobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tennessee
Default

My Duramax is an '01 LB7 in a rusty old 4x4 ECLB Chevy chassis with long travel suspension and 37-inch tires! I love the beast even though it has around 360,000 miles on it! Right now we are probably around 450 hp and 900 lbs/ft of torque but by this time next week we should be at 600-650 hp with 1100-1200 lbs/ft of torque!!! It is a fun truck to drive!

Having the TDI for the daily driver and road trips with the Dmax to play and haul stuff is a great combination!!! You'll be real happy when you get yours but you better do it soon, prices keep climbing with the price of fuel!!!

Even with the DPF/Urea system the 4.5L Dmax would still outperform the gas V8s in horsepower and torque and would give the 1500 much better MPGs. It would also be a good candidate in the 2500 at least as an entry level alternative to the gasser. Through economy of scale the DPF/Urea system would also become more affordable for GM for both the 6.6L and 4.5L Duramax engines. I would think that the tank size would be the only difference. The DPFs were definately considered when the 4.5L was developed and the way the GM engineers use the Urea it shouldn't hurt performance. They use it to clean the emissions and tune the engine for power and effeciency, instead of crippling the engine with emmissions tuning.

The way GM handles the DPF regen is way better than Ford or Dodge. GM uses a dedicated injector to fuel and regen the DPF while the others overfuel the engine and will end up with more fuel dilution. I think the LMLs will outlast the 6.7L Ford and Cummins engines for this reason...
__________________
Chris Tobin Freelance Editor & Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS & other mags
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.
Chris Tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:09   #253
kjclow
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW
Default

I asked about the diesel engine in chevys a few years back and was told that the developement was stopped to concentrate on hybrids. Talk about wasted effort.
__________________
2010 silver/black JSW TDI with DSG, 2011 red Golf TDI with dsg, 2003 red/gray Passat 1.8l gasser
kjclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:14   #254
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member
 
Chris Tobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tennessee
Default

Yup! Hybrids are a waste of resources but they are the hip thing and sheeple like to buy and drive them!!!
__________________
Chris Tobin Freelance Editor & Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS & other mags
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.
Chris Tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 15:55   #255
lddrew
Member
 
lddrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: GA
TDI(s): none yet :(
Fuel Economy: 16/21 in the Dmax
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
My Duramax is an '01 LB7 in a rusty old 4x4 ECLB Chevy chassis with long travel suspension and 37-inch tires! I love the beast even though it has around 360,000 miles on it! Right now we are probably around 450 hp and 900 lbs/ft of torque but by this time next week we should be at 600-650 hp with 1100-1200 lbs/ft of torque!!! It is a fun truck to drive!

Having the TDI for the daily driver and road trips with the Dmax to play and haul stuff is a great combination!!! You'll be real happy when you get yours but you better do it soon, prices keep climbing with the price of fuel!!!

Even with the DPF/Urea system the 4.5L Dmax would still outperform the gas V8s in horsepower and torque and would give the 1500 much better MPGs. It would also be a good candidate in the 2500 at least as an entry level alternative to the gasser. Through economy of scale the DPF/Urea system would also become more affordable for GM for both the 6.6L and 4.5L Duramax engines. I would think that the tank size would be the only difference. The DPFs were definately considered when the 4.5L was developed and the way the GM engineers use the Urea it shouldn't hurt performance. They use it to clean the emissions and tune the engine for power and effeciency, instead of crippling the engine with emmissions tuning.

The way GM handles the DPF regen is way better than Ford or Dodge. GM uses a dedicated injector to fuel and regen the DPF while the others overfuel the engine and will end up with more fuel dilution. I think the LMLs will outlast the 6.7L Ford and Cummins engines for this reason...
what turbo, trans, % injectors, Cp3 are you running to put 650????

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
I asked about the diesel engine in chevys a few years back and was told that the developement was stopped to concentrate on hybrids. Talk about wasted effort.
x2......
__________________
07 LBZ Duramax 4x4
-one day will have a 1.9 TDI 5spd
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Cherokee CRD coming for 2013 dieselyeti General Automotive 11 January 7th, 2012 10:10
Fuel economy - less than 50 mpg and more than 50 mpg MilenP TDI Fuel Economy 15 March 4th, 2011 14:19
50 mpg diesel hybrid supercar dougiefresh Non VW Group Diesels 0 July 4th, 2007 08:01
Diesel Motorcycle coming in March - up to 102 MPG gcarper General Automotive 23 November 18th, 2005 08:54


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2014
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2013, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17602 seconds with 10 queries
[Output: 137.97 Kb. compressed to 116.22 Kb. by saving 21.75 Kb. (15.76%)]