www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 9th, 2011, 19:41   #1
hillbily tdi

TDI(s): Jetta
Default Trunk won't open, not broken pin

A while ago the trunk on my 01 jetta stopped opening. In the beginning i could reach into the trunk and open it manually and the trunk would open using the switch once or twice, before I needed to open it up manually again.

Now it will not open up with the switch, but I can use the switch to unlatch the mechanism when I latch the trunk when open, but not when latched closed.

When the trunk is closed I can hear an electric whine, and see no movement, when the trunk is open I can use the switch and unlatch the trunk perfectly.

I have replaced the opener and no luck. I am stumped. What else should I look at replacing?
hillbily tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 19:51   #2
gordsmail

Default Broken Trunk

I had the same issue with mine. It ended up being a broken wire in the harness between the body and the trunk lid. On mine it runs along the drivers side arm.

Hope this helps
gordsmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:21   #3
TDI_bubble
Veteran Member

The lock mechanism is pretty shotty to say the least, it requires a cast aluminum notch that is about 1/8th inch to grab into the other side of the same thing. Now with part of the mechanism removed, yet still requiring a real key to turn, truck operates with key just fine.
Just another feat of over engineering fail.
TDI_bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:35   #4
Zedbra
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordsmail View Post
I had the same issue with mine. It ended up being a broken wire in the harness between the body and the trunk lid. On mine it runs along the drivers side arm.

Hope this helps

yup, it sounds like the wires have oinched inside of the harness where it curls by the support arm. it's common on the mk4. slice open the cover of the harness, repair the wires that are pinched. pull your fuse first

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 19:21   #5
hillbily tdi

TDI(s): Jetta

Thanks guys, I'll get to that this weekend
hillbily tdi is offline   Reply With Quote