Trunk won't open, not broken pin

hillbily tdi

TDI
Jetta
A while ago the trunk on my 01 jetta stopped opening. In the beginning i could reach into the trunk and open it manually and the trunk would open using the switch once or twice, before I needed to open it up manually again.

Now it will not open up with the switch, but I can use the switch to unlatch the mechanism when I latch the trunk when open, but not when latched closed.

When the trunk is closed I can hear an electric whine, and see no movement, when the trunk is open I can use the switch and unlatch the trunk perfectly.

I have replaced the opener and no luck. I am stumped. What else should I look at replacing?

gordsmail

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Broken Trunk

I had the same issue with mine. It ended up being a broken wire in the harness between the body and the trunk lid. On mine it runs along the drivers side arm.

Hope this helps

TDI_bubble

Veteran Member
TDI
98 tdi bubble
The lock mechanism is pretty shotty to say the least, it requires a cast aluminum notch that is about 1/8th inch to grab into the other side of the same thing. Now with part of the mechanism removed, yet still requiring a real key to turn, truck operates with key just fine.
Just another feat of over engineering fail.

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I had the same issue with mine. It ended up being a broken wire in the harness between the body and the trunk lid. On mine it runs along the drivers side arm.

Hope this helps

yup, it sounds like the wires have oinched inside of the harness where it curls by the support arm. it's common on the mk4. slice open the cover of the harness, repair the wires that are pinched. pull your fuse first