Goodbye to hpfp issues

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I really hope VW/Bosch come up with a solution soon, although it took ~5 years to do that for the BS (most cars out of warranty by then). And I know the B5.5's are small in production, so no large group of owners screamng. I really want a newer TDI, but I am very reluctant to jump in until the HPFP issue is resolved.
I know that pain, the B5.5 is still my favorite. Ride, style, car had it all............still bummed out about it all turned out. While I like the Jetta, don't have near the attachment I had to the Passat :(

Same here, I sure hope they find the answer to the HPFP issue - even with a 1% failure rate it's like Russian Roulette, a game nobody likes to play.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I TL;DR'ed this thread.

That said, I hope upsbroke calls Customer Care and gives them a piece of his mind. He had to deal with the crappy dealer (VW Tulsa / Green Country Imports / Brad Noe Volkswagen) I have at my disposal, and I wish nothing less than total annihilation for them.

I've ridden in a riced out Genesis, and it's OK. I don't like the placement or design of the fuel consumption meter, and they make it difficult to upgrade the stereo at all... But it's generally just an OK car. I have nothing to complain about other than it being a Hyundai. And I think that this is precisely what Hyundai wants.

I mean, upsbroke could have put himself into a 2002 Mercury Cougar that looks like a Bugatti Veyron :).

LeighRocks!

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I waved goodbye to my future hpfp issues tonite when I traded my 09 JSW in on a 2012 Hyundai Genesis. It's a big load off my shoulders worrying when it was gonna happen again and where.
Again- like I told you guys- I really liked my JSW but after already paying for the BSM in my wife's 05 Passat and the spending 10 days broken down dealing with hpfp failure- enough! HPFP failure was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Knock on wood- it'll be so nice to have trouble free car. And the Genesis-even in V6 form- is a tremendous car for the money and fun to drive too.:)
Hyundai wont stand behind warranty claims unless they are cheap repairs. My ex bought a Hyundai hatchback brand new and the head gasket blew on it at maybe 30K miles? I told her to take it to the dealership. She took it to the Hyundai dealer in Ann Arbor Michigan on Jackson road the next day. She came home and said they wouldn't fix it. I pulled out her warranty paperwork and it should have been covered. So the next day I took it into the dealership and said the head gasket is blown and should be repaired under warranty. The Service Mgr or General Mgr looked me straight in the eye and said "Hey I agree with you it is the head gasket and that it is covered by warranty, but if we repair it - we repair it at our cost and submit the bill to Hyundai for reimbursement. The problem is Hyundai wont reimburse us! They owe us thousands of dollars for warranty work and they just wont pay us. You can sue us if you want to, but there is nothing I can do. We regret ever buying a Hyundai dealership and as soon as we are able we are going to disassociate ourselves with them."

So I LMAO every time I see a Hyundai commercial claiming they have America's longest warranty. A warranty is only as good as the company and the people that stand behind it.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Hyundai wont stand behind warranty claims unless they are cheap repairs. My ex bought a Hyundai hatchback brand new and the head gasket blew on it at maybe 30K miles? I told her to take it to the dealership. She took it to the Hyundai dealer in Ann Arbor Michigan on Jackson road the next day. She came home and said they wouldn't fix it. I pulled out her warranty paperwork and it should have been covered. So the next day I took it into the dealership and said the head gasket is blown and should be repaired under warranty. The Service Mgr or General Mgr looked me straight in the eye and said "Hey I agree with you it is the head gasket and that it is covered by warranty, but if we repair it - we repair it at our cost and submit the bill to Hyundai for reimbursement. The problem is Hyundai wont reimburse us! They owe us thousands of dollars for warranty work and they just wont pay us. You can sue us if you want to, but there is nothing I can do. We regret ever buying a Hyundai dealership and as soon as we are able we are going to disassociate ourselves with them."

So I LMAO every time I see a Hyundai commercial claiming they have America's longest warranty. A warranty is only as good as the company and the people that stand behind it.

Jeez...here we go again...or should I say "still". "ALL them Hyundais are a POS, lousy mgmt...etc. etc."

I'm NOT doubting your experience, which IS unacceptable. However, from my extended family's experience, with 5 different Hyundais, I have to say the opposite. They love their cars, and have had only good experience with them, and the dealerships. Do I claim that as the standard? No way.

(That said, I would never own one, because of my own narrow prejudice about what the company represents...but hey, we're all driving cars produced by the same company that brought the world the V1 and V2, so yes, I'm a hypocrite...go figure)

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
The problem I have with the VW HPFP issue is this:
The Bosch pump is designed for 460 micron HFRR, the US averages about 520 micron.
VW is "mostly" warrantying the failure now, but with much car owner headache.
VW is replacing the pump with a pump needing the same spec fuel (460 micron HFRR).
The USA is providing its citizens with 520 micron HFRR fuel.

If VW would cover all HPFP issues without question until the USA could provide 460 micron HFRR fuel, regardless of mileage or age, then I could see someone purchasing a CR VW. Until that time, it is a ticking time bomb, whether it is 2% failure rate or 50% failure rate...

It is VW's fault for releasing their CR vehicles into the USA knowing that the country did not have the required fuel. It is much like introducing a vehicle that must use only unleaded gasoline in a country that only has leaded. Whose fault is it???...

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Cleaver...you are 100% correct, clearly stating what has been stated here many times before.

However, to be perfectly clear, I would ask you to replace the word "shear" with the more accurate HFRR (High Frequency Reciprocating Rig). Your numbers are accurate, but your credibility, especially with a dealership, will go up if you use the more correct phrase. Of course, I'll bet that most service advisors will give you a blank stare if you start stating facts, HFRR numbers, etc. It will then give you the opportunity to work up the dealership food chain and try to find someone who understands.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
The numbers represent the diameter of the wear scar produced by the HFRR, unit of measure is micron.

RLS1400

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG Prem Nav
I'll probably jump ship out of my 2009 TDI before the car hits 80,000 miles. Already had the fuel system replaced, and I'm not willing to accept that risk too far out of warranty. I'm almost at 60k now and drive close to 40k miles a year, so I'll be looking at Mazda's new SkyActiv gas offerings.

I do love the TDI but so much risk. You people that say the fuel issue is blown out of proportion are morons. There are PLENTY of cases not even reported on the forums or to NHTSA. Hell, I know of 3 other failures just through my friends/family and their associates. Not only is the fuel issue huge, but there will be question marks regarding the DPF system on the Jettas. At least the Passats use SCR technology which puts less load on the DPF system.

I just hope the resale on the 2009s holds up a little bit longer before they get a bad reputation. The 2006s are still worth huge money on the used market.

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I'll probably jump ship out of my 2009 TDI before the car hits 80,000 miles. Already had the fuel system replaced, and I'm not willing to accept that risk too far out of warranty. I'm almost at 60k now and drive close to 40k miles a year, so I'll be looking at Mazda's new SkyActiv gas offerings.

I do love the TDI but so much risk. You people that say the fuel issue is blown out of proportion are morons. There are PLENTY of cases not even reported on the forums or to NHTSA. Hell, I know of 3 other failures just through my friends/family and their associates. Not only is the fuel issue huge, but there will be question marks regarding the DPF system on the Jettas. At least the Passats use SCR technology which puts less load on the DPF system.

I just hope the resale on the 2009s holds up a little bit longer before they get a bad reputation. The 2006s are still worth huge money on the used market.
guess there are lots of "morons" on this forum....and lots on the kia forums and the ford forums and the nissan forums....all defending a product they like/love and spent their hard earned money on cause it was the best value for them. Morons everywhere I guess. Every mfr has challenges...This is what puzzles me the most....and every car has warranty repairs....lots of them....spent 23 yrs managing car dealerships from toyota to ford and mitsubishi and 3 yrs at a vw store....every single mfr had known issues with every single model and year of car....some of those issues caused huge damage once a small part failed...collateral damage. guess I will put my head back in the sand and keep being a moron cause the writer above told me so. sadly the only person that is looking like a moron is YOU sir.

RLS1400

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG Prem Nav
I work in the auto industry and I too know there are warranty issues from all manufacturers and various suppliers to the manufacturers. But the denial that some on this forum have over the fuel system in the CR Jettas and Golfs is absolutely insane, and completely justifies using the "moron" to describe their fantasy that all is fine and well.

I'm all for diesel. I think diesel cars are a GREAT solution to the oil crisis, especially for those like me who drive around 40k miles a year with a lot of highway use that a hybrid is a waste on. But how can I keep this car now with the constant fuel issues that are occurring all over the country? Sure, my fuel system was already replaced... but there are 2011s with the same "revised" pump also failing. What good will it do me if it fails at 100k? Should I spend ten grand to replace my fuel system?

Who knows, maybe VW will come up with a solution that will work for the long term in these cars. I sure hope so. Love everything about the car except the worry of the fuel system in the long term.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
I did much like the original poster and after nothing but hesitation problems with my 2009 traded it in on a Hyundai Veracruz.

Guess what? 3 months and no problems. Driveability is soooo much better.

And, I don't have any reason to worry about big mechanical failures somewhere down the line.

My favorite car purchase of all time is still my 04 JSW. But, the 09 was the polar opposite.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
And a couple of other obsevations.

First, to give the Devil his due, I came out better on value of the 09 TDI than any car I've ever owned. Some of that is due to the fact that I picked the market entry pretty well. May 2009 fuel prices hadn't spiked recently. I shopped dealers from Albequerque to Dallas and got a big discount off MSRP. Went to Dallas to buy where dealers were making me offers while I was sitting with the sales guy.

Second, despite the mechanical concerns us enthusiasts here on the TDI Club know well, the cars held their market value very well... so far (I hope they continue to because I still think VW deserves support for trying to keep the diesel option alive for consumers in this country, but am glad I cashed out of the market on my 09 when I did).

Lastly, if my 09 had not had any hesitation issues and had no issues with future problems hanging over it, like the fuel pump worry, I would still buy my 2004 new over my 2009 every time. MY reason, handling. The 04 was so tight, taught, responsive, yet comfortable day to day. At 105 it felt like you were on rails. One time I needed a little warranty work on it and the dealer gave us a rental. We drove the rental down state. It was a small Chrysler SUV. It was windy on the way back. I was driving it 75 to 80 and really felt like I was driving the heck out of that car. It was kinda fun battling the ebb and flow of the diagonal cross wiind, but, I had to stay on top of it and drive it. Got back to Lubbock, picked up the JSW and was really dumbfounded by the trip from Lubbock to Amarillo in the same wind was like sitting in my recliner. One hand on the wheel, no need to correct for the cross wind. Just zipped along with hardly a thought about the wind. Handling.

The suspension on the 2009 had been cheapened up, dumbed-down and/or Amercanized. Less responsive, mushier/cushier and more easily blown around in the wind we have regularly around here. Still not bad, mind you, compared to most other vehicles, but one of the MAIN things I valued in my 2004 was simply gone. Yeah, the 09 had more horse power and acceleration when it wasn't hesitating, but, that farfignuggen factor was greatly, greatly reduced.

Last edited:

Stool Sample

TDI
2010 Jetta - manual
i have to disagree. my 2004 manual jetta sedan is way softer and doesn't handle as well as my 2010manual sedan. maybe it's the 17 inch tires maybe it isn't. my 2005.5 brm jetta with 16's also handled better and i liked the ride more than my 2004. i did trade my 2005.5 in on the 2010 due to cam related issues. i add xpd to my fuel and must admit i don't have any of the issues with my car at 25000 miles that i read about on this forum. maybe my car is the norm, maybe the ones with problems are the norm but i know one thing, most forums i visit are for people looking for solutions to problems or complaining about a problem and not leaving comments like " hey everything is great how about you?" or in this case "i got rid of the problem and you still have yours". reminds me of the conversation i had with the comcast rep the other day. i called with a complaint about my service. the guy gave me a hard time. i said to him" what did you expect? did you think i was calling to say my service is great. thanks for only making me pay $165 dollars a month." with that said i do drive my 2010 alot more than my 2004 because for me, i like it better.

Adrenolize

TDI
2013 Jetta MkVI TDI Premium
i have to disagree. my 2004 manual jetta sedan is way softer and doesn't handle as well as my 2010manual sedan. maybe it's the 17 inch tires maybe it isn't. my 2005.5 brm jetta with 16's also handled better and i liked the ride more than my 2004. i did trade my 2005.5 in on the 2010 due to cam related issues. i add xpd to my fuel and must admit i don't have any of the issues with my car at 25000 miles that i read about on this forum. maybe my car is the norm, maybe the ones with problems are the norm but i know one thing, most forums i visit are for people looking for solutions to problems or complaining about a problem and not leaving comments like " hey everything is great how about you?" or in this case "i got rid of the problem and you still have yours". reminds me of the conversation i had with the comcast rep the other day. i called with a complaint about my service. the guy gave me a hard time. i said to him" what did you expect? did you think i was calling to say my service is great. thanks for only making me pay $165 dollars a month." with that said i do drive my 2010 alot more than my 2004 because for me, i like it better.
Everything is great here, how about you? :cool: