www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 14:51   #1
fgilice

Fuel Economy: Much better than the Lincoln LS V8 used to be
Default wrench sign flashing on a cluster

Made a long trip from Ontario to Florida. The Jetta did an excellent job, but after I arrived I have a wrench sign flashing a few times where the odometer suppose to show the total mileage, every time I start up the car. It goes away quickly and the total mileage comes back. The owners manual says nothing about this warning light. I don't feel or hear any difference the way the car is running.
Please help. Anything to worry about? Fuel mileage consistent all through the trip about 5.4 l /100 km, 43 mpg, with higher speeds and ac on.
Thanks
fgilice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 16:12   #2
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

My guess is you have some maintenance due. Like oil change. In any case check out your owner's manual. It should tell you what it means. for your 2006 Jeta TDI.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 16:48   #3
fgilice

Fuel Economy: Much better than the Lincoln LS V8 used to be

Yes I think it is an oil change reminder.( I'm researching posts in the last hour) Now, the dealer changed the oil when I bought the car 8000 km (5000 miles) ago. Did they forgot to reset the computer? The sticker on the windshield says my next oil change is due at 77000km, 7000km away. Is the oil change reminder on the VW based on time only, or is there a sensor in the oil pan that figures the oil needs changing. I dont want to drive the car another 7000 km, if it needs oil change now, but if I'm only half way through the oil's life, why change it?
fgilice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 17:21   #4
Roshermoore
Veteran Member

The change interval for the oil for your Jetta is 10,000 miles if the correct oil was used. Are you sure the correct oil was used? If not, then I'd have it changed before you return to Canada making sure the correct oil is used. Check the owner's manual for what oil is required. You may have to provide the oil. Nevertheless, it will be synthetic.

I know how to reset the reminder on my 09 but not on an 06. Maybe someone else will chime in with that info.
09 Jetta Sportwagen, Blue Graphite Metallic, DSG, Sunroof, Rubber mats, Zeta Products body color side moldings, Body color door edge guards, VW front and rear Splash Guards, Clear rear bumper protector, 8" "Stubby" antenna. Build Date 11/08

Roshermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 13:51   #5
06 TDI

TDI(s): 06 jetta
Fuel Economy: 43-49

fgilice,
i have the same thing going on and did you figure it out if so please let me know what it is and what you did to fix it.
Thanks
06 TDI is offline   Reply With Quote