www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 5th, 2011, 20:06   #1
iboomalot

Fuel Economy: 37city 43 hwy
Default what HP increase could a 2012 passat TDI from a tune?

my 2006 TDI jetta really liked the tune I got.

What about the new Passat ? It seems to have the stock 140hp/236tq motor what can I get from a tune on that engine?

Thanks
iboomalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 20:51   #2
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Should be the same as all the other CR motors. Check out malonetuning.com for one option. He's just the only guy I know who is actively tuning those ECU's. Might not be as much of a bump as your Jetta was as tuners have to be a little careful about the emissions devices on the new motor.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:10   #3
no-blue-screen
Veteran Member

Plus the passat will use emissions fluid (urea) unlike the same motor in the 2009+ jettas.
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:16   #4
WVU TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin View Post
Should be the same as all the other CR motors. Check out malonetuning.com for one option. He's just the only guy I know who is actively tuning those ECU's. Might not be as much of a bump as your Jetta was as tuners have to be a little careful about the emissions devices on the new motor.
If anything, it seems to me the Passat should respond BETTER to tuning due to a lack of DPF.
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6M -- turbo failed at 9500 miles.
WVU TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:30   #5
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

The Passat has a DPF. It doesn't have a NOx trap.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:32   #6
brandonfast

oh there is a dpf, there is also a air to water intercooler!!
brandonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:51   #7
WVU TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
The Passat has a DPF. It doesn't have a NOx trap.
Whoops, my mistake. Thanks for clearing that up
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6M -- turbo failed at 9500 miles.
WVU TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:08   #8
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Sigh misinformation is rife. The Passat DOES have a DPF and it DOES have a NOx trap, but the latter works on different technology in the Passat. In the latter, called SCR (selective catalytic reduction), the urea-based DEF acts as the reducing agent; in the Jetta, NOx is converted in what's called an LNT (lean-NOx trap) by alternating accumulation/release/conversion cycles with periodic operation in rich fuel-air mixture mode and the resulting unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream act as the reductant.

The fuel-rich mode to regenerate the LNT is why engines using this NOx aftertreatment technology suffers a fuel-economy penalty. SCR doesn't use this mode, hence no associated penalty. But there IS still a NOx catalyst.

Edit to add link: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles..._dorenkamp.pdf

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; July 6th, 2011 at 08:25.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 21:37   #9
Mike_V
Veteran Member

TDIMeister, I (very possibly mistakenly) had thought that post-combustion injection was used to burn off particulates accumulated by the DPF. Is this not true? And if not, will the Passat have any post-combustion injection cycles? Seems this could have very important ramifications for high-percentage biodiesel use.
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:07   #10
xcdhracer15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_V View Post
TDIMeister, I (very possibly mistakenly) had thought that post-combustion injection was used to burn off particulates accumulated by the DPF. Is this not true? And if not, will the Passat have any post-combustion injection cycles? Seems this could have very important ramifications for high-percentage biodiesel use.

post injection is used to keep exhaust temps up which help with all of the above
xcdhracer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:33   #11
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

^ Also incorrect. The LNT/SCR have their optimum conversion/regeneration efficiency at a much lower temperature than that required for the DPF (200-400C vs approx. 600C or more). See the link in my post above, slides 17, 24. In fact, exposure to temperatures of 750C or more "ages" the catalyst and permanently diminishes its conversion effectiveness in a fairly short period of time that mimics the aging process in a car after thousands of km (slides 17, 20, 24 and finally 19).
  • DPF regeneration requires lambda > 1 and high temperature (post-injection);
  • LNT regeneration requires lambda < 1 and low- to moderate temperature (intake throttling);
  • SCR does not need any particular engine-side calibration measures (except urea fluid consumption is proportional to the engine-out NOx emissions that must be reduced, so it's in the interest of the calibration to generate as little engine-out NOx emissions as possible in the first place, mainly via EGR and injection strategy);
  • De-SOx catalyst regeneration requires lambda < 1 and high temperature (likely some combination of intake throttling and post-injection).

The temperatures quoted above for NSC (NOx Storage Catalyst, analogously LNT) are different than those quoted in the 2006 DEER paper owing to likely different catalyst formulations from 2 years of development separating both publications, but the ranges and overall points made are still valid (picture is from MTZ 06|2008 Volume 69).

After all is said, this does not answer the original poster's question. The clarifications of the presence/functions of the DPF and LNT/SCR catalysts are important, but from a performance standpoint it can be expected that the SCR-equipped Passat can be tuned at least the same performance levels (other factors like turbocharger matching, boost pressure and fuel injection rates being assumed comparable) to the LNT-equipped Golf/Jettas, without the associated fuel consumption penalty for LNT regeneration but at the expense of likely increased DEF consumption.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; July 7th, 2011 at 11:40.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:55   #12
JarHead
Veteran Member

TDIMeister I bow to you Sir...
JarHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 19:34   #13
iboomalot

malonetuning.com

kinda costly any other tuning options avail ??
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:17   #14
deucelee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg @ 80% highway

Actually $550 for a 30hp boost and 70lb torque gain doesn't sound that bad. Other options are also good to know tho...any?
deucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 18:06   #15
iboomalot

my tune on my Jetta was like 300 so twice the price seems high