www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 29th, 2011, 21:46   #1
Davinciad

Default TDI Wont turn over

I have a 2002 VW Jetta TDI, about 117,000 miles on it.

So leading up to it for about two days I was getting horrible gas mileage. Then I came home one day turned off my car left for about 1 hour then cam back out and it won't turn over. Lights and dash, even radio all come on but when I turn the key I just hear a single click from the engine compartment then nothing else. Other than the mileage the car was running just fine and started just as normal. 2 weeks prior to this my engine light came on and I had it check out and they said it was my third glow plug was bad or going bad cant remember, but I didn't get it fixed. I have tried to jump it with no success. I believe my timing belt is overdue for a change to but not sure, it was unclear from the seller if it had been replaced before I bought it. Hopes this help let me know if you need any more info.

Also the battery in it is only about 3 months old.
Davinciad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 21:53   #2
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Probably the starter motor or a bad connection, it sounds like the solonoid is clicking but the starter motor isn't budging. Check the battery volts first, they should be 12.5 there abouts, if not then there's not enough power in it to crank the engine. If the volts are fine check the connection on the starter and make sure there's the same volts there too.

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:40   #3
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

I hope you are not getting any gas mileage. You have a diesel.

How old is the battery? Has anyone checked both ends of all battery cables?
While I don't think it is the primary reason for a problem, I suggest having that glowplug issue addressed. It should not be an expensive maintenance and it could help your problem.

Last edited by Joe_Meehan; June 30th, 2011 at 02:42.
Joe_Meehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:15   #4
Alchemist
Veteran Member

There is a 3" piece of heavy wire from the solenoid to the starter which frequently corrodes off and causes the symptoms you describe. It is bare copper, and is probably green and crumbling. Just get your finger behind it and give a bit of a tug. If it crumbles and breaks in half you have found the problem. I don't know of a cure for this other than a new starter, but it will get you going again.

Paul
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote