www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 29th, 2011, 05:23   #1
Wayne64SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 03 Golf
Default Finding TDC without flywheel marks

Bought a sachs G60 vr6 regular weight SMF clutch kit for my 5speed swap from IDParts. I double checked that there was a) flywheel marks for tdc and b) that it matched the one on the dmf. Everything looked good.

Get that ****ing pile of **** together and I can't see ANY of the marks while it's in the car.

Got ye-ol dial indicator out and yanked #1 injector. I have it at EXACT TDC on the dial indicator and the cam plate and IP lock fit in fine.... can i do it this way? If so I'm going to make a new mark on the flywheel with a chisel while i have it at TDC and locked down. Anyone ever run into this before? Why can't I see the god forsaken marks?
Wayne64SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:43   #2
DidJettarun
Veteran Member

You can look at 1st cam lobe...it should be at 90 degrees pointing forward. Also remember that the flywheel marks are in different orientation for manual and automatic trannys
DidJettarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:54   #3
Wayne64SS
Veteran Member

Right, but what i'm saying is that you can't see ANY marks on the flywheel.... it's definitely in the correct location, i used a dial indicator. You can't go by where the lobes are for EXACT location, only to get you close to where you can see the flywheel mark and then go from there.

I'm 99% on what i'm doing, I just want to double check before I put it together and have a problem.
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:08   #4
KLXD
Veteran Member

What you are doing will work but you should do it in both CW and CCW directions, make a mark in each direction and use the middle between them as TDC. This is because the piston will stop moving a little before TDC on the crank.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:11   #5
Wayne64SS
Veteran Member

I did go in both directions. The amount of movement in between TDC in either direction is so minute i can't feel or see it.
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:17   #6
DanG144
Veteran Member

That should work. I am going to go look at my new flywheel right now! Perhaps it does not get near enough to the starter teeth to see?
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:21   #7
Wayne64SS
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144 View Post
That should work. I am going to go look at my new flywheel right now! Perhaps it does not get near enough to the starter teeth to see?
Yea I dunno *** happened between when it was out and when it was in. I remember double checking with the DMF before I installed the parts. UGH.

For reference I can see approx 1/4" of the large flat part behind the teeth where the marks are supposed to be. I even yanked the starter to see if i could locate the marks and extend them and it's just as bad if not worse from there. FML. I'm the ONLY one that this has happened to???
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:22   #8
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

When you installed the new flywheel were the TDC marks that you noted on it in the same relative position to the old one when it was bolted on?? Are you sure you are not 180* out of rotation??

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:25   #9
DanG144
Veteran Member

The excellent marks on my new flywheel will NOT be visible once I install it. They are too far toward the engine.

I will extend them toward the starter teeth prior to installation.

You MIGHT be able to see the marks if you use a mirror to peak in under the housing toward the engine.

Dan
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:26   #10
Wayne64SS
Veteran Member

If I'm 180 out of rotation then the IP lock and cam lock wouldn't fit. Also the lobes on #1 are pointing up like they should be. I held the new SMF to the DMF and lined up the holes and checked the marks before going together. Yes they were in identical places.

Thing is, I had my buddy bar the motor over like 5 times yesterday to try and see the marks ANYWHERE on the flywheel and I can't see them ANYWHERE. It's not like they're in the wrong place 180 off, I just can't see marks PERIOD.
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:27   #11
DanG144
Veteran Member

Your method of finding TDC should work fine.
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:28   #12
DanG144
Veteran Member

In case you missed it while writing your post, look at post #9.
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:28   #13
Wayne64SS
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144 View Post
The excellent marks on my new flywheel will NOT be visible once I install it. They are too far toward the engine.

I will extend them toward the starter teeth prior to installation.

You MIGHT be able to see the marks if you use a mirror to peak in under the housing toward the engine.

Dan
Dan I did try the mirror and there's just no good angle to get enough light and your face in there. Thanks for double checking yours!! I'm ****ing livid that the marks are unhelpful. What pisses me off even more is that if this ****ing transmission would come out without having to wait another 4 days for new bolts I'd just pull it back out and mark the flywheel and reinstall. I've already been sitting on this car for 2 god damn weeks.
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:30   #14
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

There are good marks on the harmonic balancer and belt covers. Just highlight them with a silver sharpie before you put them back in place. Then lower the engine so you can see the marks throgh the wheel well. This will give you a straight sight and avoid any parallax from looking down from the top/side

I just used these marks to align a TB two days ago.

Last edited by runonbeer; June 29th, 2011 at 07:32.
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:33   #15
Wayne64SS
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runonbeer View Post
There are good marks on the harmonic balancer and belt covers. Just highlight them with a silver sharpie before you put them back in place. Then lower the engine so you can see the marks throgh the wheel well. This will give you a straight sight and avoid any parallax from looking down from the top/side
AWESOME!!! I will double check what I have on the indicator with the balancer and belt covers tonight. I looked all through the manual for something like this yesterday and couldn't find anything. Sure would've saved me about 1 1/2hrs of setup time with this damn dial indicator.