www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:17   #1
MrMopar
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none
Default How reliable is a 2011 or 2012 Jetta 2.0 gasser?

With used car values being at an all-time high, I have a chance to trade my subcompact 2009 Hyundai Accent for a slightly larger car. I can get a 2011 Jetta S for $17,265 that will get pretty much the same fuel economy as my Accent, have a little more room inside, and have higher crash safety scores.

The 2.0 is the only gasoline engine I am considering given the poor reliability and so-so fuel economy of the 2.5 I-5 engine. I know this engine makes only 115hp, so it leaves the performance of a Jetta somewhat underwhelming, but it's an economy car. I'm used to 110 horsepower from my Accent. This engine is old enough to belong in a museum instead of a new 2011 car, but does it have a good reputation for being robust and reliable?
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:24   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMopar View Post

This engine is old enough to belong in a museum instead of a new 2011 car, but does it have a good reputation for being robust and reliable?

You've summed it up nicely right there. It's ancient and is completely outgunned by anything else out there. Does it make the engine bad? No, certainly not. That old 2.sL0 has a pretty solid reputation. I had a MkIII Jetta w/5 spd. No issues ever, fuel economy seemed to hover right around 30mpg, city or highway. It's just that the engine has sort of an argricultural feel to it...almost like it should be in a Subaru.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:42   #3
MrMopar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf View Post
You've summed it up nicely right there. It's ancient and is completely outgunned by anything else out there. Does it make the engine bad? No, certainly not. That old 2.sL0 has a pretty solid reputation. I had a MkIII Jetta w/5 spd. No issues ever, fuel economy seemed to hover right around 30mpg, city or highway. It's just that the engine has sort of an argricultural feel to it...almost like it should be in a Subaru.
A few reviewers have had slight struggles getting VW to provide S base trim cars to them to review. It's as if VW is embarrassed they had to cost-cut so much that they stuck a boat-anchor 2.slow engine under the hood to get under the $17,000 base price point. SOHC 8v engine? Next I suppose I'll find out the fuel injection is still BATCH FIRED . . .

At any rate, I don't care about the lack of horsepower. Another big question - this engine used to have a timing belt in previous cars, right? The VW specifications page says it now comes with a timing chain.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:51   #4
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:

Next I suppose I'll find out the fuel injection is still BATCH FIRED . . .

Ohhh, wait. This is the car they've fitted with rear drum brakes, isn't it? For me, that instantly disqualifies the vehicle from consideration. There are just too many other modern choices out there at this price point.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:59   #5
MrMopar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ohhh, wait. This is the car they've fitted with rear drum brakes, isn't it?
Yes, rear drum brakes. VW states that with 90% of the stopping done by front brakes that no one driving will know the difference. I don't care as my current car has rear drum brakes. Still, I couldn't figure out what VW saves by using drums in the rear. When ordering batches of parts to make something like 250,000 or more cars a year, what is the incremental part cost savings of a single set of rear drum brakes when compared to discs? It has got to be something like a $2 savings per car . . .
Old June 28th, 2011, 13:05   #6
WVU TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40s.

Chiming in to agree with the fact that drums/discs on the back of a FWD econo car don't make a damn bit of difference.
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6M -- turbo failed at 9500 miles.
WVU TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 13:22   #7
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Yes, rear drum brakes. VW states that with 90% of the stopping done by front brakes that no one driving will know the difference. I don't care as my current car has rear drum brakes. Still, I couldn't figure out what VW saves by using drums in the rear. When ordering batches of parts to make something like 250,000 or more cars a year, what is the incremental part cost savings of a single set of rear drum brakes when compared to discs? It has got to be something like a $2 savings per car . . .

Yeah, that's my perspective too.

Anyhow, that would instantly disqualify the car. It's so friggin' archaic and I hate working on drum brakes.
Old June 28th, 2011, 13:25   #8
MrMopar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Anyhow, that would instantly disqualify the car. It's so friggin' archaic and I hate working on drum brakes.
I will never work on the brakes. There are enough shops near me with rates low enough. If I have problems or parts wear out, brake jobs for drums can be had for under $100 with parts included in that cost or not much more than that.
Old June 28th, 2011, 13:28   #9
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Aren't you going to look at any other cars?
Old June 28th, 2011, 13:37   #10
MrMopar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Aren't you going to look at any other cars?
I have looked a bit, but don't like what I see from other manufacturers in similar models.

I checked out a Mitsubishi Galant because the local dealership is offering 120% of KBB "Good" value for trade-ins, but the base price of Galants has gone up a bit from the psychological $20,000 price point that mid-sized sedans are at. And the Galant has not offered a manual transmission for quite some time.

Mitsubishi faces an uncertain future in the USA. MMNA exists solely to be a tax write-off for Mitsubishi-UFJ (largest bank in Japan). Mitsubishi gets to act as the owner and supplier for MMNA, which enables them to use all kinds of accounting tricks for tax write-offs. As soon as these tax write-offs become marginal or non-existent, MMNA will exit the auto business in the USA.
Old June 28th, 2011, 13:52   #11
WVU TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40s.

What about a Mazda3?

Killer car outside of the cartoonish front bumper.
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6M -- turbo failed at 9500 miles.
WVU TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 14:03   #12
MrMopar
Veteran Member

I will check out a Mazda3 on Thursday when I get a chance.
Old June 28th, 2011, 14:03   #13
MrMopar
Veteran Member

I will check out a Mazda3 on Thursday when I get a chance.
Old June 29th, 2011, 18:40   #14
tdi90hp
Veteran Member

my accountant has 2 new 2slos....loves em....200 bucks per month lease in canada
tdi90hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 19:30   #15
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

A 2.0 Mk6 jetta will be faster than a 2.0 mk4 jetta... the mk6 is lighter. I drove a TDI, and thought it was a nice driving car.

Even the 2.0 is SPFI, and is drive by wire

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote