www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 27th, 2011, 14:13   #1
scottisha
Veteran Member

Default REVO Software Installed Today

Forge Motorsports installed it. Took less than an hour for them to remove the ECU upload the software, clear a couple codes and send me on my way.

I have heard others say they couldn't tell their car was chipped. Not sure why. There's absolutely a difference. I would compare this TDi to my previous 2002 GTI 337 1.8 20V when it was stock with more torque.

I stopped by David Mauss VW to have the car aligned (because of lowering it Saturday) and the Internet Sales Manager has a 2011 TDI JSW. I gave him a ride and he's pretty impressed. Think he's going to get his done.

The downside is that I feel like I'm in a sporty Golf and have been heavier footed all day today. Love it!

Guys at Forge were professional and great to deal with.

Scott

Last edited by scottisha; June 27th, 2011 at 15:47.
scottisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 14:39   #2
Fordcougar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: muy bueno

Cost? DSG Support? Or only 6mt? Thanks

2011 JSW DSG Candy White... Stock for now. Central Florida
Fordcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 14:41   #3
JZoidberg
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 11 Golf

Very cool. Your cars looking good. I'd love to get a program, but I think I'll wait till the warranty is up.
JZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 15:13   #4
scottisha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZoidberg View Post
Very cool. Your cars looking good. I'd love to get a program, but I think I'll wait till the warranty is up.
25% discount.....A good friend hooked me up.

I have the VW factory extended warranty and I'm pretty confident I won't have any issues. I used to race in SCCA and Instruct high speed driving with a service writer at one of the Orlando dealerships and have always taken care of the techs working on my cars in the past.

I typically order a couple large pizzas for the techs and service writers, whenever I have my car serviced. It's pretty amazing what $20.00 worth of pizza will get you.

I've done this for over 10 years. To VW, Mercedes, Hyundai, etc.....They really appreciate it.
Old June 27th, 2011, 16:16   #5
JZoidberg
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 11 Golf

Good tip.
JZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 18:05   #6
scottisha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordcougar View Post
Cost? DSG Support? Or only 6mt? Thanks
25% discount..from Revo

I have a manual trans...

Revo has DSG software. Two stages. If I had a DSG I would absolutely get it.

Scott
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:04   #7
chris@revotechnik

Glad to hear you are loving the software.

Until I am knighted a vendor I will refrain from answering anything that could be perceived as selling but I did want to clear up that the software works for both DSG and manual applications. Currently there is no software for the DSG itself for any diesel application but it is hopefully being worked on.
chris@revotechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:14   #8
ToeBall
Veteran Member

Would love to see some VCDS logs to compare/contrast with the Malone. Specifically, I'm curious to see the fuel rail pressure curve. Revo's always had a good reputation and I was originally planning on doing their tune on my car, but the local vendor I went to flaked and refuses to tune TDI's anymore. Glad your experience is better.

2010 VW JSW TDI "Barley", 6-speed manual, Blue Graphite - 255/40's on 18x8's, Sigma6, B&M Shifter, Malone Stage 2, Koni coilovers w/H&R springs, 28mm front/27mm rear swaybars, GTD Grill, 900W stereo, PDE downpipe, Banks exhaust, APR intake, Votex kit.
ToeBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:27   #9
scottisha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeBall View Post
Would love to see some VCDS logs to compare/contrast with the Malone. Specifically, I'm curious to see the fuel rail pressure curve. Revo's always had a good reputation and I was originally planning on doing their tune on my car, but the local vendor I went to flaked and refuses to tune TDI's anymore. Glad your experience is better.
I gave some serious consideration To Malone's software. Even so far as to consider removing the DPF so I could go with his stage 2 flash.
But, with Forge right here in Orlando and having been around for quite a while, it seemed to make more sense to go this route. Understand, if the dealer updates my ECU and I went with Malone, I would have to ship my ECU back to him to be re-flashed. Same scenario with REVO and I just drive over and have the guys at Forge take care of it in less than an hour.

Plus, I think 60% of REVO software sales in Europe are for TDi's. So I felt pretty safe with their experience in the diesel realm of tuning.

I'm curios to know what gains I would get with the REVO flash and the removal of the DPF. That thing has to restrict the flow of exhaust gases substantially. I bet the turbo would spool up quicker with it gone.

I have a friend with a stock mk5 GTI and my manager has a 2003 A4 1.8t. I will do a couple runs with these guys in the next couple of weeks and post the results. At least you will have an idea of where a chipped TDi stands compared to a stock GTI.

Scott
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:34   #10
scottisha
Veteran Member

I should add, Malone came highly recommended to me and I have no doubt his software for our cars is plenty capable. Plus the guy does custom stuff all the time, so he must have a pretty good clue to tuning a TDi.

This was really a logistical decision for me.

Scott
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:36   #11
chris@revotechnik

Our current flash is going to be very different from what Malone offers due to there being a big difference in power.

The V1 software we are selling right now is based around factory EGT limits for the region which are different then the limits in other regions. If you are going to stay within these limits and still maintain full factory safety features (will pull power if egts rise too quickly) you are limited on total power out put.

We advertise currently about 20-25hp and 55-60 ftlbs of torque with this software. If you tried to make 30hp and 65 ft/lbs of torque while maintaining all the factory safety controls and egt limits you would make that for one run and then on the next run the car would make stock power. Wait a half hour it will do one run at 30hp and a second at stock power. What we tuned for was the max one could maintain doing numerous back to back runs under high load (trying to simulate a long hilly max power situation) and it would not pull back to stock.

This by no means is saying that others are doing anything unsafe. The egt limits in other regions are much higher and if you use those limits you can make more power. Our initial/current offering was meant to sell to anyone who wanted to make a little more power and retain stock egt limits. We have in testing our V2 tuning that will make more power but requires us to raise the actual limit slightly. All of the factory safety features are retained that will allow the vehicle to pull back power output if EGTs rise too quickly or get too high. This software will be something more comparable to many of our competitors who came out with higher hp tunes then we first sold.

The good news is so far all current ecus on the market allow for us to fit 4 different files. The vehicles we have testing the V2 software around the country all have a file capable of switching between stock, our current V1 25/60 software, our V2 higher output software, and an anti theft mode that disables the vehicle even if someone has the key. You can go between any of the 4 programs on the fly, although we really don't recommend that you do it while moving .
chris@revotechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:00   #12
stuckinneutral
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4L/km

Hey I know our exhausts are really restricted by cats and our notorious D.P.F. but you hear any increase in exhaust sound? Or sounds stock?
stuckinneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:17   #13
scottisha
Veteran Member

Chris, That's exciting news.....I'm in when it's released! I guess I need to get an SPS switch, or whatever they are called.

Stuckinneutral: I have a open air intake aka hot air intake, and now I hear the turbo spooling up and the whooshing sound when lifting off the throttle.

I do not have a rear muffler. in place of the rear muffler is straight pipes to a dual tip (GTI style) exit. The car has no exhaust note. It sounds exactly as it did stock. Honestly, I'm not even sure why VW installs a rear muffler on this car.

Chris, keep me updated! Is Osmun on this site too? if not, let him know I'm a customer for the V2 release, once it's available.

Scott
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:30   #14
stuckinneutral
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4L/km

Hot air intake? Is that a cold air with holes drilled? More info would be appreciated thanks for the quick reply.
stuckinneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:35   #15
scottisha
Veteran Member

I was being sarcastic. I have a Neuspeed P-Flow. Not truly a "cold air intake" like APR's TDI intake.

Scott