www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 21:03   #1
giw

TDI(s): 99 jetta
Fuel Economy: 53 hwy 43 combined
Default how to replace rear springs

hello tdi group
i am a current gm muscle car gasser who now drives a 264k 99 jetta a4..
i am in love with the performance and fuel economy.. and the forum
i purchsed the car out of state and to get through pa inspection i need to replace the rear springs as 1 is broken, i also plan to replace the rear shocks and it needs rear brakes..
i reviewed the awesome write up on the rear brake job but could not find any "how too's "on rear coil spring replacement..
also any suggestions for parts over oem replacement..
this is a daily driver in combined city and highway use..
thanks for your help
giw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 22:14   #2
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

All you need is a pair of lift jacks and a spring compressor-that easy really. I am going with heavier springs in my car from a jetta wagon. idparts.com among others sells springs.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:55   #3
Alchemist
Veteran Member

To replace rear springs, disconnect the ABS sensor wire and see that it has slack, then remove the lower shock bolt. The axle beam will move down enough for the spring to fall out. Make sure you have some support under the axle beam or it will pull on the brake lines and cause some damage. When the new shocks are in place, you may need to jack the axle beam up a bit to connect the lower shock mount.

Paul
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 15:35   #4
PDJetta
Veteran Member

I broke one and just replaced the single spring. I bought the replacement at 1stvwparts.com (a VW dealer with online sales) and saved about $45 over what my local dealer charged. I disconnected the rear shock on its upper mounting. You are supposed to replace the two shock mount bolts if you remove them, but I did not have new ones, so I reused the old ones. No issues so far.

You don't need a spring compressor. Note to disconnect the ABS sensor wire from its retainer and watch the brake lines.

--Nate
Old June 24th, 2011, 20:01   #5
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

I stated the spring compressor way as there isn't any need to disconnect anything that way and no need for bolts. But you can do it taking more things apart as well. You can rent the spring compressor from most auto stores.
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 20:32   #6
lglamb
Veteran Member

for alternative springs, do a site search on 'moog springs'.

Here's a sample thread I have saved for reference...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=287469&page=2
lglamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:12   #7
giw

TDI(s): 99 jetta
Fuel Economy: 53 hwy 43 combined

all thank you i would have certaily ripped the abs out if you guys didnt respond
giw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:49   #8
davebugs

Check your axle beam bushings. If they haven't been done they are way overdue. And you're probbaly getting some noise from them and possibly even handling issues.
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:49   #9
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer16 View Post
I stated the spring compressor way as there isn't any need to disconnect anything that way and no need for bolts. But you can do it taking more things apart as well. You can rent the spring compressor from most auto stores.
True if you have one that fits. I did try my spring compressor first, but it would not fit up on the spring with it in the car.

--Nate