www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:11   #1
Conan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 GLS TDI
Fuel Economy: 32-48
Default Wiring Diagram for MKIV Jetta TDI?

Hi,

I have the Bentley manual, but I'm wondering if there are comprehensive wiring diagrams out there. I checked IDParts (where I got my Bentley book), and they don't sell any wiring diagrams.

Specifically, I'm trying to troubleshoot a non-funtioning A/C system. I believe battery acid ate through one of the wires going to the compressor clutch. I see a green or green/black wire heading from the burned plug (on top of the starter) down towards the clutch. I'd like to unplug that plug and test for proper voltage, etc. I really need a good wiring diagrams, with colors, if possible. I've been through the book and I'm missing it if that info is in there.

The way VW changes things willy-nilly, I'm thinking there are probably 48 different diagrams out there (for my generation car) to cover all the changes. The harness part I'm working on (p/n 1J0971349FQ) shows 20 different parts numbers in ETKA!

I don't know if it would be a copyright infringement to post that stuff online, but if not, I'd like to see it. Don't mind paying for it if I need to, either.

Thanks in advance,

Lee
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:59   #2
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

WD 38/4 shows the A/C clutch; wiring harness T4/3 does show a green/black wire from the coolant fan control module, in engine compartment, left. T4/4 is a brown/black(ground) wire. This T harness is near the starter. Is this what you are looking for? Manual A/C system.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:28   #3
Conan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 GLS TDI
Fuel Economy: 32-48

JB, I have to admit that I've been trying to diagnose this stuff from work, where I don't have my Bentley. You're right, it's all there. What I was looking for was either a comprehensive wiring diagram (whole subsystem), or a "map" of the harness. I had acid burn right through a connector, but because of the way the harness runs in that area, I was having a hard time telling what all is in it at that point. I have mostly working on a project Honda car ('87 CRX Si) lately, and I got spoiled by the great Honda manuals, that have kind of an "X-Ray vision" picture of where the various parts of the harness physically run in the car, and where they terminate. It's fantastic when you have a situation like this where you have open circuits but you're not sure what they are. Thanks again for the research.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 18:04   #4
ZoeCat

TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI
Default Conan - did you find a diagram?

I too have been spoiled by the totally incredible shop manual and electrical system manual (it's own book) with excellent schematics, wiring diagrams, and location maps for my 1989 Toyota Pickup. Did you happen to find some useful drawings for the 03 Jetta wiring?
ZoeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 18:17   #5
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Check with your local library. With my library card, I have access to repair and wiring diagrams all for the cost of $53 this year according to my property tax bill.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 18:18   #6
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

I find the Bentley wiring schematics very good. For working purposes only, I copy and enlarge the diagram I need. Works great, and then I file the copy away for future use!
'84 Vanagon ALH TDI engine (33 mpg) Malone Stage 1 tune, Polaris Diesel ATV, Allegro Bay RV 5.9 cummins, VWs 41 years, VW diesels 34 years, ALH TDIs 12 years
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 18:32   #7
Dodoma
Veteran Member

check with a dealer if they have a separate wiring diagram.
Dodoma is offline   Reply With Quote