www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 14th, 2011, 13:26   #1
DIESEL~ME

Default 1997 Passat Jumped Timing:What would you do?

Hello community at large,

Our 97' Passat tdi jumped timing and is in need of an injector pump and a head rebuild.

I can have the work done right for approx. $2200. We bought the car for $2600 and last week I installed new bilsteins and mounts all around.

So, what would you do? Cut bait or pay the piper?

For what it's worth the interior is 9-10, exterior has minor surface rust confined to 2 doors (7-10)
Old June 14th, 2011, 13:37   #2
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Please give further details.

Why an injection pump?

Head rebuild alone, done right, would be about $2.5K, iirc. Injector pump rebuilt about $850. How long would you like to own this car? My B4 gets 45 mpg on the highway in comfort - I'd get mine fixed. I don't know of another car I'd rather purchase that doesn't cost $3K in payments within 6 months.
Old June 14th, 2011, 14:37   #3
DIESEL~ME

Hello,

The car is at Herm's shop in Richmond, ME. It appears that the pump is bad in addition to the jumped timing. He has a rebuilt Bosch unit in stock to replace it for around $700.

He sends the heads out to MO to Frank, he is on this forum, and estimates approx. $1000 for rebuild.

Then we have the cost of timing belt kit + labor to put it back together.

I agree, no other sedan returns such mileage with such room. I had a 96' sedan for 8 great years b4...still not sure why i ever sold it?!?

Others, please weigh in...what would you do??
Old June 14th, 2011, 14:39   #4
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

If Herm can do it for that price, get it done.

Do you mind sharing why did the timing jumped?
Old June 14th, 2011, 15:42   #5
G60ING
Veteran Member

How many miles?

If you do pull the trigger something you might want to consider is spending $300 more or so and re-ring it. The piston rings tend to have a lot of carbon build up. At least mine did at 180k miles.
Thinking about a TDI swap? Review the TDI swap directory
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 15:47   #6
DIESEL~ME

Timing belt was done 2/10/10 by some monkeys at a shop in Scarborough, ME

She was hard to start for the last week, but only in the morning..seemed to be a glow plug issue at the time.

Herm said he could literally slip his thumb between the belt and the pulley..almost no tension there at all

Car has 160k, and we do love it.
Old June 14th, 2011, 16:04   #7
G60ING
Veteran Member

What would you get for $2k-$4k to replace it? (figure you could still sell it for $1,000 as a parts car)

What other work will it need in the next 6 months to a year?
Thinking about a TDI swap? Review the TDI swap directory
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 16:29   #8
ninedee_golf_tdi

A new AMC after market head is about $750 so with gaskets/bolts/gadgets you're about about $900. I've installed many of them with absolutely no issues.
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:47   #9
VWWV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48hw/36town

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
What would you get for $2k-$4k to replace it? (figure you could still sell it for $1,000 as a parts car) //SNIP//

Exactly. They aren't making them anymore and never will again. Do anything you can to keep it going, IMO.

WV - where relativity is more than just a theory.

TERM LIMITS NOW
VWWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:51   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Seems like Herm is doing you a favor fixing it for that much, I'd jump on it! Then you can motor on in a superior car for less than 1/4 the cost of the cheapest Kia you can buy!
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:52   #11
Abacus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL~ME
The car is at Herm's shop in Richmond, ME. It appears that the pump is bad in addition to the jumped timing. He has a rebuilt Bosch unit in stock to replace it for around $700.

He sends the heads out to MO to Frank, he is on this forum, and estimates approx. $1000 for rebuild.

Then we have the cost of timing belt kit + labor to put it back together.
That is a good deal. The parts are top notch and Herm does good work, you won't go wrong. I think Herm said he uses DFIS for the pump rebuilds, and I know he doesn't cut corners on ANY parts or procedures.

Wow, I live in Nobleboro as well, on East Pond Road. I have seen a black B4 around, is it yours? Mine is the dark green one with the 16" wheels. It can't be the maroon one since I think they live in Waldoboro and have a greasecar kit installed, and Herm doesn't do greasecar kits.

I would have it rebuilt, and here is why.

You would be very hard pressed to find a car that gets 45-50 mpg and is comfortable to drive. The B4 is great in the snow, has a good history of longevity, and is relatively easy to work on (major mishaps like this notwithstanding). You would be especially hard pressed to find one for merely a few thousand dollars. I know, living in midcoast Maine, the term "merely" isn't often found in conjunction with "thousand dollars", but in the car realm, they are.

A regular car may also cost you a large amount of money to have repaired, and you know the history of yours, so after this repair is completed, what else would it need?

The B4 is a great car, some people hate them with a passion, but they really are nice once you know how they're put together (minus the heater core of course).

If you want to discuss anything further, please send me a PM or e-mail and we can get together for a local coffee.
HEX-USB-CAN Vag-Com, A3/A4/B4 timing belt tools & manuals, IP socket, alt & specialty tools.

Last edited by Abacus; June 15th, 2011 at 09:12.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 14:57   #12
DIESEL~ME

Thanks for all the responses. I am still not sure what to do

As it stands now she is for sale at Herm's shop. I am asking $2500

Link is here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=321279

Bilstein TC's front and rear were installed with new mounts 2 weeks ago. Car also has ecodes but is otherwise stock.

Fortunately I still have a Passat tdi of sorts as, unrelated to my
Passat's troubles, I bought this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Di-New-England
Old June 15th, 2011, 17:39   #13
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG mixed @75MPH

It was a good deal to repair the B4 with Herm. I concur with all the B4 lovers, it's a great vehicle. I've put more than double what I paid for into mine to bring it back to (more than) running condition.

But then again, that's one sexy golf swap. I can see why you weren't concerned with the fix!
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 20:09   #14
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48

I would have fixed it. Thats a no brainer on a 160k mile TDI. Plus you know what you have. Getting another vehicle has always come with unknown problems for me.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 18:00   #15
DIESEL~ME

Bumping this thread as I'm moving on and want the B4 to go to a good home.

As stated in the for sale thread I am willing to offer the right person a sweet deal on this car of they agree to have Herm fix it.

Contact me directly for more info if you are SERIOUS.

Thanks