www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 11th, 2011, 14:31   #1
RndmGuy06

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Default Oil Leak...

I was changing my TB today and got a closer look at my oil leak. I always thought that I was getting blow-by out my oil filler cap. I had replaced the seal before but it still leaked. Never thought too much about it until today.

Oily Before Pics...

After TB and cleaning...

If you look at the TB and cleaning pictures. Those oil spots are splatters from somewhere. I had driven around the block once at slow speeds to get the engine temp up. I have no idea where it is coming from.

Questions.
Could the EGR valve be going bad and shooting oil out somehow?
Is my turbo going bad and dumping oil in my intake?
(There is quite a bit of oil residue in my intake system)
Would cleaning out the entire intake system stop the oil consumption?

Details about my car.
2002 ALH Automatic 235k miles and I add around a quart every 5000 mi. (but the oil consumption depends on vehicle speed ie. highway I lose more oil versus around town)

Thank you everyone in advance! I am always on here reading and learning
1987 Honda CRX 1.5L (Junkyard)

Last edited by RndmGuy06; June 13th, 2011 at 06:17. Reason: Removed Hyperlinks for Directlink...Embedded Images
RndmGuy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 19:20   #2
miketoth1979

Fuel Economy: 32/46/60.5 (towing, avg., best)

I haven't owned my TDI long enough to know how much oil consumption is considered normal... but I have read that the oil splatters you see around the EGR are "normal". They are coming from the lower port in the EGR. Do a search for "weeping (or weepy) ERG port" and you'll find that a lot of other guys have the same thing happening. My engine has 135K and does it, but not quite to the extent that yours does yet.
'01 Golf 5spd TDI 130K - Defender Steel Skidplate, Curt Towing Hitch, Independently-Powered Trailer Light Converter, DG 100k TB kit, Metra Aux ipod input added, MOOG VR6/wagon springs, Blausport shocks and struts, engine and trans stock

Last edited by miketoth1979; June 11th, 2011 at 19:23.
miketoth1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 19:33   #3
Jolio

I've got oil in the same place on my new (used) 01, just noticed it today. I can't speak to the consumption rate, but I think I would have noticed that much oil if it had been there when I bought it 400 miles ago. I remember thinking the engine was dirty and that the last oil change must have been sloppy. I'm having mine looked at early next week, if I find anything relevant I'll let you know.
Jolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:28   #4
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

For reference, My '96 uses about 2qts per 10000 mile oil change. My '06 uses about 1qt per 10000 miles. Both are considered normal.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 19:25   #5
CopaMundial
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RndmGuy06 View Post
Could the EGR valve be going bad and shooting oil out somehow?
That is exactly where that leak is coming from.
The oil enters the intake from the CCV as is normal with all of these engines. But eventually the top diaphragm part of the EGR will start to leak and spray a fine mist of oil. The spray pattern will hit the exact area shown in your photos... top of the valve cover, down the back side of the engine, intake, exhaust manifolds, and will leak all the way down until you're wiping oil off your right axle shaft wondering '*** is this coming from?'
It looks like a lot more oil that it actually is, just because it's sprayed out so fine of a mist.

When you remove your intake (for cleaning), replace the EGR and hit everything w/ a rag w/ a little degreaser. It's easier to reach down to clean the back side w/ intake and egr off the car.

Last edited by CopaMundial; June 12th, 2011 at 19:28.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 19:34   #6
Black00Jetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.1/44.3/39.6

I have the same issue with the weeping but have taken care of that by tying a thin rag around the EGR to absorb most of the spray. Check and change periodically takes care of most of the oil.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:11   #7
RndmGuy06

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta

Thank you everyone! I will search for "weeping EGR" and find out more. When we changed the TB we had oil everywhere! It really was quite alarming.

Follow-up Questions...may be covered under "weeping EGR"
How do you stop the weeping?
-Replace EGR? (for a little more I can buy a Malone tune with EGR Delete)
Can you repair the weeping EGR?
CCV Filter (Like the ones I see all the time made from Local Hardware Store)?
-Would this also slow/minimize the oil in the intake?
1987 Honda CRX 1.5L (Junkyard)

Last edited by RndmGuy06; June 13th, 2011 at 06:18. Reason: Added Follow-up question
RndmGuy06 is offline   Reply With Quote