www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:54   #1
freakwithracket

TDI(s): 2003
Fuel Economy: 50.57mpg
Default Chevy Cruze Eco MPG

I saw a commericial yesterday for a Chevy Cruze Eco that gets 28 city and 42 hwy. That is very close to the 30/42 that the 2011 Jetta TDI is posting. At about $8,000 less than the TDI, along with the lower cost of gas vs diesel, combined with the natural "issues" that come with owning a euro diesel (labor and parts costs, reduced number of diesel stations, winter cold starts, etc. etc.) all I can say is that VW better get the Polo TDI here ASAP, because although it is still better in my opinion, it is quickly becoming less and less practical to buy the TDI.
freakwithracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:19   #2
cmitchell
Veteran Member

I've owned only one GM vehicle, and it was two cars in one ... my first and my last GM.

2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed black / black leather
2013 Subaru Outback Limited Cypress Green (Wife's)
1983 Isuzu P'up 4X4 diesel 4 speed
cmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:20   #3
freakwithracket

I hear that. Its worth noting however that the cars made by the Big 3 are notably better after 2009 than before. I'm not even saying the TDI's are worse, they are better. You, I, and everyone on this site knows it...but if VW wants people to go diesel they need to offer up something more than 2mpg city in exchange for $8000 higher price tag and a higher cost of fuel. 2mpg + $8000 +higher fuel cost + higher repair cost vs. Same gas millage, lower fuel costs, lower repair costs...even with the argument of the diesel lasting longer, most people aren't looking to run their car into the ground. After about 150,000 miles or so people start looking to upgrade to something newer. I bet 90% of people will go for the Chevy in a side by side choice. And considering that most people have bad perceptions about diesels and many don't even know that a diesel car is an option in the States, that number could be higher.

Last edited by freakwithracket; June 9th, 2011 at 07:27.
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:56   #4
freakwithracket

My mistake with the $8000. Go Google "Chevy Cruze Eco" and you the first thing that comes up is "2011 Chevy Cruze ECO"...but that link does not take you to the ECO page..I assumed it had. MrMopar, I'm all with you. Understand that my point is not that the TDI is not better, but the average consumer will not look at ft. lbs. of torque when shopping...hell there is even a phrase to go along with that "people buy HP but drive torque". With the resale value of the car, they have indeed held up higher than the gassers, but how much of that has to do with the huge difference in MPG. I mean the MKIVs, like mine, get 50+mpg whereas a 2003 grand-am gets like 28....huge difference. Huge. I'm not all too confidant that a TDI will be worth so much more in resale if it gets 2mpg city better...remember for many people buying a used car, cost is an issue (not for all, some people just don't like buying a new car because they get a better deal with a slightly used but depreciated car). Either way my point remains the same, VW needs to get the Polo over here because as nice as it is that the Jetta gets twice as many lbs of torque, the average consumer does not care. And the big selling point in any car today is MPG.
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:47   #5
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

Default Cruze CDI hatch

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/brit...ion-51907.html

GM says "No diesel for U.S."!

It is a darn shame that we won't buy hatch or diesel.
Oberkanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:00   #6
BretAZ

The real world difference in price is even less. My neighbor just paid full MSRP for a Cruz Eco, nobody would deal. My Jetta was $23,765 and I picked it up for $21,990. He paid somewhere just shy of $20,000. In my opinion, the only two things these cars had in common was MPG. The Jetta is bigger, more confortable, and more features for only a little more money. In terms of reliability and service, they both are probably comparable. But the edge for me went to the TDI.

The biggest reason to not buy the Cruze for me was I would get tired of friends asking me why I was driving a rental car.

I actually like the Cruze, just not $20,000 worth.
BretAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:53   #7
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberkanone View Post
...It is a darn shame that we won't buy hatch or diesel.
Which is why over the last 15 years or so, Jettas have outsold Golfs by 9 or 10 to 1 in this country.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:14   #8
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Which is why over the last 15 years or so, Jettas have outsold Golfs by 9 or 10 to 1 in this country.
I've had a 2001 Jetta and a 2002 Golf. The Jetta's trunk was huge! The Golf hatch with the rear seat up is not very big.
2014 Passat SE TDI DSG, Opera Red Metallic, Cornsilk interior
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:10   #9
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I'd take a Focus (hatch!) over a Cruze any day of the week ...
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:14   #10
schwarze Käfer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 50mpg @ 75mph

And GM (government motors) backs a plan to add $1/gal fuel tax? Why? To sell more Cruzes/Volts? Reason enough NOT to buy anything GM.

x2 Brian - Ford anytime!

New Beetle Mini H1 Bi-xenon Retrofit Performance Videos

Last edited by schwarze Käfer; June 9th, 2011 at 11:17.
schwarze Käfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 14:49   #11
MonsterTDI09
Veteran Member

Does the Chevy Cruze need Hi octane fuel, to get that mileage

German engineers do things because they can,not because they should

http://www.dpfregeneration.com/
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 19:29   #12
tdi90hp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
I drove a 6 speed ECO a few weeks ago for 30 miles or so....the car is flat out amazing....quiet, quiet, quiet, well built, shifts nice and revs super low on hwy....not as much torque in tall gears but dont discount this car and feels very well screwed together.......sorry the 5 speed base focus for 2-3 K less does not compare...real basic. still think the Golf Highline feels like a lot more car but we paid almost 7K more in Canada than a Cruze...although our car has a lot more equipment...I like GMs warranty as well....100,000 miles on powertrain is nothing to sneeze at.
tdi90hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 21:06   #13
BretAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMopar View Post
See, I have the same opinion.
Call me a typical American but I have been conditioned by a decade of domestic car manufacturers rolling out giant rebates, financing and good discounts off MSRP to keep people buying American cars. Selling me a $20,000 Chevy sedan? It better come with a $4,000 rebate and 0.9% financing if you expect me to pick that over a Honda Accord.
Chevy had the Cobalt as the American-built small car that was "better" than the Cavalier it replaced. The pre-production models shown off to Motor Trend and C&D years ago had GM practically begging them to publish good things about the cars with a promise that they were tweaking things and this time the cars were going to be really good and not designed solely by cost-cutting bean counters. Well, they constantly finished at the bottom of comparisons.
Now they're selling the same thing with the Cruze. This time it is getting good reviews but both MT and C&D are saying "What is up with the $20,000 price?" The Cruze is a Honda Civic analog - a small car that's supposed to be efficient and reliable. Well, GM had a lot of years of cars being unreliable and it will take a serious effort over the next decade to convince the American buying public that their cars are reliable over the long term. Until then they should expect to compete on price and what remaining "Buy American" sentiment they have left.
GM has always competed with price. Its all they had. They could probably learn a thing or two from Hyundai if they would just open their eyes. Hyundai overcame all the bad memories of those first Hyundai Excels. Today, Hyundai is pretty well regarded. But first they had to prove themselves. GM should be doing the same thing. I guess some people are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I am not. I will keep my $20k.
BretAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 21:15   #14
ssamalin
Veteran Member

Cruze has a driver knee airbag. VW are you listening?
ssamalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:41   #15
sfierz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/42/35

I don't know, I drove a Ford Focus rental car a month ago and it was a pretty nice car. Interior was basic, but nice. Stereo had satellite and bluetooth, and the car was pretty zoomy. I expected it to get 30 MPG but it got 42 MPG cruising 80 MPH on a 300 mile trip to Detroit. The CVT transmission was smooth and shifts were crisp. Only omission that I could see was a lack of cruise control. But, it may have been a basic model since it was a rental. It also was a little "darty" on the freeway. Good car, otherwise, and probably only $15k MSRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
sfierz is offline   Reply With Quote