www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 6th, 2011, 11:07   #1
RudyH

Default 2011 TDI Jetta Sportwagen oil change schedule headache

Hello: I need some help understanding my oil change intervals. My car has 15,000 miles on it. Just before a road trip a few months ago, I took the car into the dealer for its 10,000 mile service. I did that about 700 miles early because the road trip was to be 3500 miles and I wanted to make sure the oil got changed.

I have another upcoming road trip. This time I will have about 18,000 miles on the car when I start the road trip. After the road trip, the car will have about 21,500 - 22,000 miles on it.

What should I do about my service intervals? Should I keep taking the car in early or can I safely drive another 1500 to 2000 miles and then get the oil changed?

The complicating factor is that there is other service to be performed at these 10,000 mile intervals. I imagine that those can usually wait, but I'm used to getting oil changes done close to the recommended intervals.

Should I have them change the oil before the trip, and then the rest of the service after the trip? That would be a bit of a nuisance, but I'd be willing to do it.That would de-couple the oil change intervals with the other service intervals, though.
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:15   #2
Fordcougar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: muy bueno

Perhaps, and I haven't looked into it yet, you can schedule it for a dealer
that is along your route somewhere? I can't imagine that you are bound to use the purchasing dealer. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...(since I'm the noob)
Fordcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:22   #3
HaveBulldogWillTravel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordcougar View Post
I can't imagine that you are bound to use the purchasing dealer. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...(since I'm the noob)
You are correct...he is not bound to the selling dealer. Any VW dealer will do.

HaveBulldogWillTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:22   #4
RudyH

I thought of that, but I'd be losing some important vacation time, and I have a personal policy against having a car serviced within a week before a long trip. New components fail and mechanics make honest mistakes. I don't want to be in the boonies and then have a failure on the road. Also, it seems that a VW has a serious reputation problem for spotty quality of dealer service shops.
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:31   #5
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Judging from what I have learned about the high tech oils used in our TDIs, I would check oil levels and top off as necessary but wait to do the oil change until you get home. However, there is one possible issue with this. I read somewhere that VW dealers can only charge VW (as part of your "carefree maintenance") for service done within a thousand miles (plus or minus) of the scheduled mileage. I am not positive that this is true, so you might want to confirm this with a dealer. If this is not an issue, I would wait until you get home. If they will do your maintenance for free at 18,000 miles, it should also be free at 22,000 miles. As stated above, finding a dealer along the way is also an option - the scheduled maintenance is only fluid and filter changes, rotating tires and (if you are lucky) a free car wash. They should be able to do this in only few hours.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 03:57   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

Only other thing the 20K does is the fuel filter, if you are confident of the fuel you use is up to par (no crud no water) then I don't think there's anything wrong with stretching the oil change/service interval another 1K. I'm planning to go 11,000/12,000 on this oil change, seeing i'm picking up the tab on this change (40K) and i've already changed the fuel filter (35K).

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote