www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:15   #1
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

Default Has anyone replaced subframe bushings?

(Did a search on this question and didn't see anything. I'm a little suprised!)

What's involved time wise to change the subframe bushing on a MkIV Jetta? What level of difficulty?

Here are the bushings I'm referring to:

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=582

TIA,
Old June 3rd, 2011, 08:58   #2
02DslPwr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg 38-40mpg

They aren't something you do by themselves. You have to remove or mostly disassemble the front suspension, so replace everything you can while you're in there.

They're not hard though. Lower the subframe and pry the old bushing out with a screw driver. Insert new bushing halves and they get pressed together when you tighten the subframe.

I can't comment on what they do by themselves. I replaced everything in my signature (suspension-wise) all at once on a 125,000 mile suspension with torn CA bushings, so the difference was unreal.
His: 2002 Jetta Wagon GLS, 194k, PP357, VNT17VB, KERMA tune, IDParts OMI/Up'r/Low'r pipes, 01M-ectomy by Dr Alphaseinor, APTuning Race Gear Set, .658 5th, Peloquin, KONI FSD, Shine Springs & Bar, BFI Stage I all'round, TT CA/Subframe Bushings
Hers: 2007 New Beetle, 94k, Package 2, Shadow Blue w/grey leather

Last edited by 02DslPwr; June 3rd, 2011 at 15:04.
02DslPwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 09:18   #3
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

Thank you, just the info I was looking for.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 09:59   #4
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

And when you are finished, you'll need a front end alignment if that isn't obvious.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:33   #5
Tom W.
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Getta 49MPG IDI 60MPG Passat 34mpg
Default bushings-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02DslPwr View Post
They aren't something you do by themselves. You have to remove or mostly disassemble the front suspension, so replace everything you can while you're in there.

They're not hard though. Lower the subframe and pry the old bushing out with a screw driver. Insert new bushing halves and they get pressed together when you tighten the subframe.

I cant comment on what they do by themselvesw. I replaced everything in my signature (suspension-wise) all at once on a 125,000 mile suspension with torn CA bushings, so the difference was unreal.
How many hours did you put into replacing the bushings?

canadiangrizzly's Diagnosing limp mode: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179589

GoFaster on loss of power:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=75959
Tom W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:01   #6
davebugs

I took the easy(quick) way out.

Bought new Mehle LCA's with those already in them, new Ball Joints, new end links.

Also did strut mount & bushings, sway bar bushings.

And rear axle beam bushings.

Hope to be good for another 200k.

I did it to have a quick turn around.

Infact I kept the OEM LCA's should I need to press more bushings in I can have that done at my leisure. Or if anyone local needs them to do the same thing.
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 15:02   #7
02DslPwr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
How many hours did you put into replacing the bushings?
Once you're there, about an hour or two of prying and cussing. You'll destroy them getting them out. At least I did.

Getting there is the laborious part. Having done it twice now, I could be at the subframe bushings in an hour or two. Having the right tools will help. Before I did it the first time, I bought a Dewalt cordless impact wrench good for 300ft/lbs. Saved me LOADS of time and energy. No ratcheting, just clak, clak, zing! and the bolt's off.

Once they're out, just slap the new ones back in their place and tighten everything back up. You may want to get new bolts as the subframe bolts are TTY, 1-time use.
His: 2002 Jetta Wagon GLS, 194k, PP357, VNT17VB, KERMA tune, IDParts OMI/Up'r/Low'r pipes, 01M-ectomy by Dr Alphaseinor, APTuning Race Gear Set, .658 5th, Peloquin, KONI FSD, Shine Springs & Bar, BFI Stage I all'round, TT CA/Subframe Bushings
Old June 3rd, 2011, 15:16   #8
02DslPwr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebugs View Post
I took the easy(quick) way out.

Bought new Mehle LCA's with those already in them, new Ball Joints, new end links.
These don't come in the LCAs. These are subframe bushings. You're thinking of the Audi TT LCA bushes. No one sells LCAs new with the TT bush unless you get a new Audi TT LCA. A few places are starting to sell used/repainted LCAs with the TT bushes in them already.

I would love to have an extra set of LCAs around. Definitely a time saver.

$200+bolts for what you get is a lot. The regular SF bushings are very very stiff. I don't know how much difference these would make on an otherwise stock car.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 15:33   #9
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

Actually, $165 gets you new genuine Audi TTsubframe bushings from Audi. And, $400 for the genuine Audi TT LCAs.

So, for $565, you can have genuine Audi parts.

I'm not sure why aftermarket TT subframe bushings cost $207. They should be half that, imo.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 17:43   #10
POWERSTROKE
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

I can tell you one thing. The tt bushings stiffen up tw front end, bu they sure don't last as long as oem. Yes, used oem Audi bushings.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 17:50   #11
chromeBuddha
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg @ 75 mph

Where do these go? Someone thought they replaced it when they did the front suspension, someone else says no...

Curious George
"El Bonbon" - The Marshmallow
chromeBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:17   #12
02DslPwr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeBuddha View Post
Where do these go? Someone thought they replaced it when they did the front suspension, someone else says no...

Curious George
Hold on guys, we're now talking about two totally different sets of bushings. Control Arm bushings and subframe bushings. The OP was asking about Subframe bushings, then davebugs brought up Control Arm bushings. Dave may have been a tad confused as to what the OP was asking. But no big deal.

The Audi TT Control Arm bushings will wear prematurely if they are't installed correctly. My last set lasted ~80k, but I know the weren't tightened down with weight on the car. This last time, I did tighten with weight on them, so hopefully they will last longer.

Subframe bushings are far less common to replace. I've never heard of anyone replacing them because they are worn. May have happened, I just haven't seen/heard about it. They are usually replaced with the TT version for increased stiffness. I suppose they are generally seen as too expensive for what you get.

So, to answer chromeBuddha's question, yes, the Control Arm bushings are replaced all the time with TT bushings. Subframe bushings are 6x the price and rarely replaced. The Subframe bushings are located in between the subframe and the chassis of the car. They dont get to flex much. The Control Arm bushings are, obviously, in the control arm. Control arm bushings flex constantly and far more than the subframe bushings. Therefore, they wear faster.

Last edited by 02DslPwr; June 4th, 2011 at 08:26.