www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 31st, 2011, 20:23   #1
Dude_57

TDI(s): None yet
Default TDI maintenance cost of jetta

I been really thinking hard about getting a jetta TDI but am un sure I it would be worth it because of how expensive it might be to repair and do regular maintenance I was hoping if anyone could help explain to me if it's just a little more expensive to maintain these or if it's alot thanks!!
Dude_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 20:36   #2
flatlanded
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 55ish US MPG

It's not so much cost of parts as it is finding someone to do the work. If you fix it yourself it's not too bad. If you go to the dealer, you will have to sell a kidney. Find a guru nearby and it's not a problem.

Parts are a little more expensive than your average car and there are some MUST DO maintenance items but I've noticed that stuff on these cars just last longer.
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:15   #3
kiva822
Veteran Member

which jetta are you thinking about?

Bola: 03 Wagon, RC2
03 Golf: Whitbread/RyanP GTB2056vk 2.5" Turboback EJ SMIC PD150 Intake & Tip 764's 11mm Peloquin w/ 3.14 R&P Eibach Pro System 20AE/Audi TT Brakes VWMikeL Tune

Disclaimer: all advice worth price charged
kiva822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:38   #4
Doug Huffman
Veteran Member

Location: Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Door, Wisconsin
Fuel Economy: 50+(Jetta)

I'm on my second TDI, the first was a NB. Fuel costs saved will be spent on maintenance. If you want a car cheap to maintain then Japanese is the way to go.
Jetta Wagon TDI 2K3 Silver, software EGR duty cycle mod, fuel pick-up drilled, FrostHeater, drilled coolant level connector, HiddenHitch, Panzer plate, 175K+ miles going strong tornado-tough. Jason T. Daniels Is my 55 mpg guru.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:26   #5
procupine14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
If you want a car cheap to maintain then Japanese is the way to go.
I second this but honestly, I personally have saved enough on fuel costs that the extra maintenance has been paid for along with extra money in my pocket. A lot of that depends on the car you currently have. In my case, I had a gas guzzler that used Premium so it saved me a boat load.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:40   #6
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: best: 49.91 hwy w/ ULSD worst: 28.xx city with Jet-A/D1 mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I'm on my second TDI, the first was a NB. Fuel costs saved will be spent on maintenance. If you want a car cheap to maintain then Japanese is the way to go.

Where is the like button on this!!!!

Anything I saved o fuel, I put back in parts alone, and I did do almost all of the work (past warranty) on the car myself, or a friend did it free of charge, and it is still a money losing proposition. (If my car weren't paid for, or if I had a job, it would be gone.)

I have kept meticulous maintenance records, and I have completely filled a 1" binder just with the receipts for all of the parts that I have bought in just seven years (135k miles) of ownership.

Oh, PS: flame suit on.

Unless you really love working on cars, or really love hanging out at a dealership/repair facility waiting room, run as fast as you can to your nearest Honda or Toyota dealership.

As evidence, I offer you this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...50&postcount=7 which is now 3-1/2 years old, so you can add much more to that.

There are many others on this forum who have had similar experiences; I"m just the most vocal of them.

Bottom line, if I had known then what I know now, I would not have bought a VW, and I won't be buying another one.Some people say that my car breaks because I don't drive it right or I don't take care of it, so if that's true then this is not a car that you can just drive and not worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP
...you [are] a loyal VW owner, wether you like it or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_TDi
I'm just not buying the whole, 01M sucks...end of story bit.

2001 Jetta Sedan GLS. 01M trans. Koni Reds. Evo Skidplate. Otherwise stock.

I <3 my automatic transmission. =)

They say that if you play a Windows CD backwards, it plays satanic music; that's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs Windows!

Last edited by FL2AK-tdi; June 1st, 2011 at 10:43.
FL2AK-tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 13:01   #7
mjwilson
Veteran Member

This is a snapshot of the operational expenses I've had so far on my 2004 Jetta. Maintenance includes all scheduled items (including TB). My cost/mi. has been consistent for nearly 3 years. I wonder how this compares to other auto manufacturers.

Old June 1st, 2011, 13:03   #8
procupine14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastormike View Post
This is a snapshot of the operational expenses I've had so far on my 2004 Jetta. Maintenance includes all scheduled items (including TB). My cost/mi. has been consistent for nearly 3 years. I wonder how this compares to other auto manufacturers.
WOW. I'm pretty sure that you are in econo car/toyota Yaris type car territory with that number.
Old June 1st, 2011, 13:14   #9
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

I must agree with Post #6.
get a Honda-Toyota-Nissan-Subaru
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 14:52   #10
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Maintenance includes all scheduled items (including TB).
Does that includeall of your UNscheduled maintenance? many people (and many salesman) brandish "low maintenance costs" by estimating "scheduled" maintenance only, but fail to account for UN scheduled services.

My UNscheduled repairs have been FARRRRRR more costly than any of my scheduled maintenance, including my TB.

Quote:
OMG!!!!! you've spent SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS on maintenance alone (16341.59 less fuel costs of 9871.59). That is just under a thousand dollars per year in repairs!
Quote:

Quote:

They say that if you play a Windows CD backwards, it plays satanic music; that's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs Windows!
Old June 1st, 2011, 14:54   #11
FL2AK-tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
I must agree with Post #6.
get a Honda-Toyota-Nissan-Subaru
I would second the Subaru, but they come with a high initial purchase price and are hard on fuel. (They're bullet proof though.)
Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by FL2AK-tdi; June 1st, 2011 at 17:22. Reason: spelling
Old June 1st, 2011, 16:58   #12
Tom_B
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.8 lifetime (Jetta)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude_57 View Post
I been really thinking hard about getting a jetta TDI but am un sure I it would be worth it because of how expensive it might be to repair and do regular maintenance I was hoping if anyone could help explain to me if it's just a little more expensive to maintain these or if it's alot thanks!!
The following is my opinion and my experience, which obviously may differ from others. To me the key is the highlighted phrase above. Based solely on repair/maintenance costs vs fuel savings, my VWs would not compare very favorably to other vehicles I've owned. To be fair, I've never maintained any of those other vehicles by the book as I have with the VWs. When something breaks, and something will for any car, it's definitely more expensive to fix, or have fixed, than many other makes.

On the positive side, we've owned our Passat and Jetta for all, or nearly all, of their operational lives. Both have over 120k miles and I would not hesitate to jump in either one at a moment's notice and drive across the country. They are both still tighter, drive and handle better than any other vehicle I've owned did at 40k miles or less. We got our NB with about 62k miles so we weren't in control of its earlier service history. It's in good shape but frankly I'm not as secure in it as the other two I mentioned.

Right now I'm sold on our TDI's. In other words, for me, it's worth it considering my values. I can even say that for the Passat with its BSM replacement cost. When it comes time, I really don't know whether I'll replace one of these with another VW, especially these new fangled ones. However, I'm hoping I don't have to make that decision for another 100-200k miles on any of them. I could be singing a different tune if something major and unexpected happens, but the same could be said for any make.
Old June 1st, 2011, 18:18   #13
mjwilson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2AK-tdi View Post
Does that includeall of your UNscheduled maintenance? many people (and many salesman) brandish "low maintenance costs" by estimating "scheduled" maintenance only, but fail to account for UN scheduled services.

My UNscheduled repairs have been FARRRRRR more costly than any of my scheduled maintenance, including my TB.

OMG!!!!! you've spent SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS on maintenance alone (16341.59 less fuel costs of 9871.59). That is just under a thousand dollars per year in repairs!
The costs include UNscheduled repairs and parts, too.
Old June 1st, 2011, 18:35   #14
Rob02f350
Veteran Member

maintenance costs is something to think about... my truck i bought with 130K miles. Currently @ 180 miles, oil changes every 5K miles(4 gallons oil) 80-120$, a started junked out when i was on the road.. chewed up the flywheel, 1200$, front axle hubs, u joints, 500$ and im needed a rear end rebuild but found a used better shape one with a locker for 300.

but fuel prices... 18mpg summer,15mpg winter just shy of 50K miles... 3 years..

the car.. cheep money, parts are smaller and cheaper so far. except a timing belt job.
and plus, 50 MPG vs 30-33 on a gasser, unless you buy a Mini that will get 40.
Old June 1st, 2011, 19:07   #15
Dude_57

TDI(s): None yet

Wow that really helps alot guys! Thanks!! Lol so many positive and negatives haha I'm Thinking a 2006 jetta TDI but I'm not sure..... The new ones look pretty decent but I don't want a payment I just need a dam good car to get me back and forth to work and to take on trips I plan on paying cash for one if I find a good deal and if I get convinced its worth it ya know?? Obviously 40+ mpg I's catching my eye I drive a dually right now and
I can't imagine doubling my mpgs
Dude_57 is offline   Reply With Quote