ECU Reflash Recall Notice

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Hey guys, someone mentioned this thread to me yesterday so I wanted to just check in and clarify a few things.

First general information on the 2009s, security, reading updated files, recalls etc.

The 2009s that we have seen even with the updates do not have the updated security measures. Or to better explain they are no more secure than they were in 2009. Like the later gas engines the ecus in the 2.0 CR engines cannot be fully read through the obd 2 port. You can get about 256K of the full 2 meg file. If you have a file already and the update is minor you can simply construct the new file from that small bit that you were able to read out using the old file as the base. Unfortunately the updates in this case were more involved and require a full file.

There are really only 3 ways to get these files, buy them on the black market (yes there is an underground network to buy these files), hope VW puts it on an update CD for the dealer diagnostic equipment, or open the ecu and read it out once it is in booth mode. The first option isn't really an option for most it is extremely costly and people like to talk smack about anyone found doing it even though most have bought a file here and there. The second is no longer something VW does. Our head office in the UK is a licensed VW repair facility, we are legally authorized to perform warranty work on VWs and other vehicles because we own the proper equipment which includes a vas5052 along with the necessary subscription. We used to get CDs every few weeks and VW no longer sends them out. So we are left with the final option of for each ecu ID and software level we must have at least one ecu provided to us or read through a dealer by removing it and opening it to be read out via boot mode on the bench.

This read out procedure is the same for 2009 through current 2.0cr ecus as well as many others.

Now about recalls. The recalls and any update to the ecu itself 100% overwrites any software you may have in the car. This does not change regardless of tuner. If you have any work done that updates the ecu software your aftermarket software is gone. If a dealer says they performed the recall/update and you still have your aftermarket software after they they did not update anything.

In regards to VW instructing dealers to overwrite vehicles with any performance software, this is actually completely against VWs policy. While VW does not necessarily want you to modify your car they have no legal right to overwrite the performance software you have paid for. If there is no update to be done a dealer cannot even write to the ecu the system simply will not allow it. Basically if you have for example the 03L 907 019CM with a software level of S8060 (made that up) which is the highest available version to date the system simply will not allow a flash to be performed without someone from the tech center remotely forcing the flash. I saw that once in my years of working for Vw/Audi dealers and it was only done to undo an update they thought would correct a problem but made it worse.

All VW recall and ecu updates require your dealer to inform you verbally that this will be done as well as provide you with documentation to sign authorizing to do so and states specifically the ecu will be overwritten and that they are letting you know ahead of time that if it was modified you will lose that software. Unfortunately most dealers do not do this and simply overwrite any car that shows an open bulletin or campaign. Even when dealers do inform the customers of this they often think it is an attempt to void your warranty (dealer does not have that authority) so the customer denies having software or is afraid to refuse the update.

For the 2009s to the best of what I can tell there were 6 different ecu Ids in North America that all superseded to 2 and then the update was applied to those two IDs. The 2010s are simply just a software level update and the 2011s are just an update to the software level as well.

There are times when a tuner may believe they have a file completed but not yet be aware of an update that was recently released to the world. With the recent updates on the 2.0CR engines this happened numerous times. In some cases by the time we read out and updated one file we found out there was yet another update.

Currently I would suggest anyone looking for performance software visit their local VW dealer to have all updates performed before getting flashed. This will save you the time and hassle of having to deal with being updated. Obviously if they release another update in 6 months there is nothing anyone can do to prevent you from needing to be reflashed but since we are aware of the current updates it isn't worth flashing cars that everyone knows will just be overwritten at the next service. If your tuner has the updated software they should have no problem performing the update for you however this can be a red flag at a dealer that you have software since their system will show you are due for an update that your ecu shows you have.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Chris: Thanks for the complete update. I (personally) am glad to see you joining the TDIClub and clearing up any confusion about your (and other) tunes.

I would strongly advise you to look into becoming an "official" vendor here. Having "vendor" status will let you announce sales and other perks. All that is required is to fax a form to the moderators.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Here is info about how to become a TDIClub vendor: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=214572

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Ok second part/post I wanted to address the issues with rootrider directly.

First off rootrider we would like to apologize for any inconvenience this issue caused you. Modifying your car is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable experience we never want to hear about anyone having a difficult time or a problem regardless of whether they are actually one of our customers or not. Obviously when you are one of our customers we want to make sure the issue is resolved as quickly as possible.

I want to make sure that yourself and others here understand that we have the ability to read your ecu and all others on the market right now for this application. There is nothing we need to change or update with our hardware or software to allow us to read an ecu. Assuming there are no outside issues and the procedure is done correctly there is nothing stopping any of our dealers equipped with our SPX hardware from reading or flashing any 2.0 CR from 2009-11.

At this point we have not for lack of a better term finalized our investigation. Hardware to repair the two SPX units damaged during this read attempt just arrived minutes ago for me to finish doing some tests. We have not yet spoken with our dealer about our findings so I will not post specifics. I do want to be clear however that the hardware used (SPX) to read and unlock the later ecus was in no way responsible for locking/damaging your ecu. The problem had nothing to do with mismatched files, new security or anything else besides human error. The SPX is 100% safe and is actually designed to fail before it could damage an ecu, in short the ecu actually damaged the two SPX units, not the other way around.

Since we are not currently advertisers here (hopefully new GM will be sorting that soon) I will limit my current posts regarding our specific products to the above. If anyone has general questions regarding flashing that would apply to any tuner I will try to answer them the best I can. Questions regarding this incident or Revo specific product questions I will refrain from answering here until we are paying to do so, in the mean time please direct any questions to my email: chris.cafiero@revotechnik.com. I will try and be prompt with my responses.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Chris: Thanks for the complete update. I (personally) am glad to see you joining the TDIClub and clearing up any confusion about your (and other) tunes.

I would strongly advise you to look into becoming an "official" vendor here. Having "vendor" status will let you announce sales and other perks. All that is required is to fax a form to the moderators.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Here is info about how to become a TDIClub vendor: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=214572
Don thank you for the link. I mentioned just last week to our new GM that this is one site we need to finally get on board with so he was supposed to be in contact shortly. I will pass this along and hopefully our future posts will be as a vendor.

WFL

TDI
2012 TDI Passat DSG Grey Comfortline
I had mine redone about a month ago and so far its looks like I've taken a 2-3 MPG hit in economy. The motor seems a little lazier as if they reduced the timing. I'll keep on checking.

plap17

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI/DSG
I was directed to this thread after posting a new topic a few days ago. Didn't think to look "recall" when the dealer told me there was a software update. I have a 2010. I'm amazed at the range of reactions to the update. I was not able to wait the extra 45 minutes. I may wait, as I see these comments come in - tho no doubt, at some servicing, it will get done regardless.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
definitely appreciate you being here and stating things clearly.

right now I just want the software that I haven't had for two months :(

I repaired the damaged SPX unit last night, I didn't have a spare here I could risk damaging if I needed it for a local customer which held me up with reading out your original ecu. Assuming I have the time today to repair the ecu to the point it won't cook the SPX again I should be able to read out the file from the ecu that is here. Current turn around time is about 24 hours on our diesel stuff so hopefully have something for you by the end of the week if this read works.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Reflash, rescan & clear DTC's

FWIW... Be sure and tell your dealer/mechanic to clear out all the DTC's after the reflash. My dealer didn't do it. I ran a scan with VAGCOM today and I had the following fault codes...
01-Engine -- Status: Sporadic communication error 1000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
0F-Digital Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: Malfunction 0010
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
1C-Position Sensing -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: Malfunction 0010
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
65-Tire Pressure -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000

After clearing the DTC's and rescanning all of them cleared. (except #09, my front headlight burned out.) I'm glad I purchased a VAGCOM.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
FWIW... Be sure and tell your dealer/mechanic to clear out all the DTC's after the reflash. My dealer didn't do it. I ran a scan with VAGCOM today and I had the following fault codes...
01-Engine -- Status: Sporadic communication error 1000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
0F-Digital Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: Malfunction 0010
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
1C-Position Sensing -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: Malfunction 0010
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
65-Tire Pressure -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000

After clearing the DTC's and rescanning all of them cleared. (except #09, my front headlight burned out.) I'm glad I purchased a VAGCOM.
Would they effect how the car runs.Were did they come from?

chris@revotechnik

TDI
The cars have a full can-bus basically your turn signals know when you buckle into the back seat. Everything talks to everything.

When the car is being flashed the ecu does not have a full program all the time so it cannot communicate on the can-bus. Some of the modules who rely on information from the ecu will for lack of a better term check in periodically and realize it cannot find the ecu.

So for example the transmission control module gets information from the ecu like rpm, load, throttle position. The engine module gets information from the ABS like vehicle speed, or wheel speed if equipped with an anti slip system that would dial back the throttle. So when they try to go get this information they store the code about not finding the ecu.

In most vehicles the codes mean nothing once they find it they are fine no big deal they just go about their business. We and most tuners suggest our dealers always do a full scan and clear after each flash. With VCDS on the mk5s you can clear the codes in one quick click of a button so it isn't even time consuming, still unfortunately people do forget at times.

The only vehicle I currently know of that has any problem at all with not clearing the codes are automatic (no DSGs seem to have an issue) 2.0Ts they will put the transmission into limp mode of the codes are not cleared. Other than that the codes do no harm and have no negative affect on the drivability of the vehicle.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Probably no effect on operation. They probably come from the fact that communications on the CAN bus was interrupted while the dealer's computer was writing to the ECU. Most dealers will clear all these DTCs before they give you back the car. Apparently this dealer was in a hurry, or didn't think to do this. A real problem might effect how the car runs, but left-over error codes (where the condition that caused them is no longer true) should have no effect on the car's operation.

Have Fun!

Don

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Probably no effect on operation. They probably come from the fact that communications on the CAN bus was interrupted while the dealer's computer was writing to the ECU. Most dealers will clear all these DTCs before they give you back the car. Apparently this dealer was in a hurry, or didn't think to do this. A real problem might effect how the car runs, but left-over error codes (where the condition that caused them is no longer true) should have no effect on the car's operation.

Have Fun!

Don
That dealer isn't getting paid for the work they did then since they would not have been able to set readiness with codes stored in the engine module like that which VW requires for a dealer to get paid for any warranty work include recall that would require a reflash.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Thanks for information guys.The reason I ask, my car got re flash on 5/31/11. The MPG drop 4 to 5 miles or more, I will know more when I fill up next week.I just did 120 mile trip which I have done before,The mpg I got before re flash 40 to 41with a/c on.Now I on the same trip I get 36 to 37:( This is what the computer reads.It also takes a long time for consumption 1 to move up but it moves fast down after I reset it. The will think Iam nuts.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
So does anyone know exactly what the flash does? My dealer stated it "fixes" an issue with an overly sensitive O2 sensor and that's it. If that's the case and my car has been running great with 50K miles...maybe I'll let the flash go and not have it done.

Does anyone know more or have thoughts on the topic? With folks losing 3-5 mpg...it doesn't seem like the flash is the best of ideas.

Thanks in advance for your input.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I'm not sure how many people are reporting losing mpg. I didn't and I recall some members reporting an increase in fuel economy and performance. It's been almost 4k since the reflash and my car has been running as good as ever, and maybe a bit better in the mpg department.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
So does anyone know exactly what the flash does? My dealer stated it "fixes" an issue with an overly sensitive O2 sensor and that's it. If that's the case and my car has been running great with 50K miles...maybe I'll let the flash go and not have it done.

Does anyone know more or have thoughts on the topic? With folks losing 3-5 mpg...it doesn't seem like the flash is the best of ideas.

Thanks in advance for your input.
When I had my HPFP replaced a few weeks ago, I asked the SA about the flash indicating what posters are saying about the effects on mpg both + and -. The SA said it will have no effect on mpg or performance. Someone did quote the service bulletin in a previous post and the SA indicated the same. Not trusting the SA I called VW customer service and explained my concern with the flash. He said the flash is not a recall and not required. The car will run the same with / without the flash. All it does is widens the tolerance before certain DTCs are triggered.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Thanks jbright and Plus3 - then that is totally in line with what my Master VW mechanic told me so I'll get it done. They have to replace my drivers side sun visor due a faulty micro switch so when it goes back in next week I'll have him flash the ECU as well.

rickcrna1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Just took my 2010 JSW to the dealer last week for some minor warranty repairs and asked to have my ECU updated. Since then, I have noticed improved idling, and there is no more issue with shifting into first gear from a stop (aka car doesn't feel like it wants to stall). Overall, the engine performance seems improved since the update.

Although I haven't done the exact calculation yet, judging by the number of highway miles I can drive on a quarter tank of gas, I wouldn't be surprised if this update improved fuel mileage as well.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
While waiting for the oil change and reflash, I walked the dealer lot, like I always do. I noticed that there appeared to be identical Jetta Sportwagen TDIs on the lot. By this I mean same year and same equipment, but he MPG values on the window stickers is increased on the latest manufacturing dates. Could it be that the newer cars have stickers based on the 23H1 reflash?

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I almost answered your question before posting the original message. I am indeed sure. I was so convinced that there was something wrong with my comparison producing different results that I checked the shifters themselves as well as the stickers, and then I did it again. I was visiting one of our (tdiclub) favorite salesman's lot and there were many sportwagens to choose from, by that I mean a few dozen. It is quite interesting that those MPG numbers changed IMO.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Are you sure you weren't comparing DSG with 6-spd? They're different, aren't they?

Yes they are a little different the M6 has a little taller 6th gear than the DSG does.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I compared apples to apples. The sticker now shows 30/42 for the three pedal. It used to be 30/41 IIRC.

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
I'm not sure how many people are reporting losing mpg. I didn't and I recall some members reporting an increase in fuel economy and performance. It's been almost 4k since the reflash and my car has been running as good as ever, and maybe a bit better in the mpg department.
I've notice that the fuel economy from the MFD is more accurate now. Prior to the flash, it was always 1-3 mpg optimistic in the summer. Now the display value reads slightly lower, but more accurately reflects reality. So far, it's been within .5 mpg of the hand-calculated value. I haven't noticed a significant change in real world economy.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
A little taller? Meaning the engine turns lower RPM's at highway speed or numerically a higher number so the engine turns more RPM'S?

Thanks,
Chris Rehtorik[/QUOTE

The engine turns less RPM ay highway speed.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Gearing . . DSGs vs 6 MTs

A little taller? Meaning the engine turns lower RPM's at highway speed
or numerically a higher number so the engine turns more RPM'S?

Thanks,
Chris Rehtorik[/QUOTE

The engine turns less RPM at highway speed.
:)

There are three sets of gears for the 2009 and later TDIs:

All DSGs have an overall ratio of 2.29824 according to the latest figures on http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/tire-wheel-gearing-calculator.htm

All 2009 6 MTs have an overall ratio of 2.2356

2010 and later 6 MTs have taller or the highest gearing of 1.97892

You can plainly see, the late 6MTs clearly have the advantage when it comes to F E!
There's a difference of approximately 300 rpms per mile
at 60 MPH and it get worse as one goes faster.

It is indeed no wonder that the late 6MTs do so much better F E wise when on the highway.

HTHs

:D

D