www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 15th, 2011, 15:41   #1
TNTDI

Fuel Economy: 52/48/52
Default Beetle engine won't turn over.

I have a 2000 Beetle with 82k. I did an intake clean, EGR/Cooler delete. I also replaced the VNT-15 actuator. Took the car out for a test drive. It finally has some power. Maybe went a mile and it shut down. I coasted to my driveway. It now won't even crank over. The dash lights and glow plug light comes on, but the starter won't crank. What did I do to my wifes Beetle??
TNTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 16:00   #2
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Good question How's the oil level? can you turn the engine over by hand? If it's a manual you could jack up one of the drive wheels and put the car in 5th and try it that way. Was there any noise before it shut down? Have you checked all the fuses?

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:14   #3
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTDI View Post
I have a 2000 Beetle with 82k. I did an intake clean, EGR/Cooler delete. I also replaced the VNT-15 actuator. Took the car out for a test drive. It finally has some power. Maybe went a mile and it shut down. I coasted to my driveway. It now won't even crank over. The dash lights and glow plug light comes on, but the starter won't crank. What did I do to my wifes Beetle??
What's the TB history on the Beetle?? Please don't say it was the original!!
Don't try cranking it over any more until you determine what's wrong. Remove passenger front wheel and try to carefully rotate engine by the crankshaft pulley bolt. If you come to sudden resistance while turning clockwise-stop.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:48   #4
TNTDI

I checked the fuses visually and the oil level is fine. The belt appears to be intacked. I don't know the history prior to 65k. I'll try and move the crank today. It just shut down. No loud bang or nasty noises. Just heard the turbo winding down. The turbo seemed to be working for the first time in along time. The VNT was froze.
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:34   #5
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
I checked the fuses visually and the oil level is fine. The belt appears to be intacked. I don't know the history prior to 65k. I'll try and move the crank today. It just shut down. No loud bang or nasty noises. Just heard the turbo winding down. The turbo seemed to be working for the first time in along time. The VNT was froze.
So you don't know if its the original TB, or if it was changed before 65K??
If you don't/didn't know for sure-it gets changed for sure. Push down real firmly on the belt. Should not deflect at all.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:18   #6
TNTDI

Belt deflects and has some crazing. It needs to be changed. Just put a socket on the crank. It does not turn under enough pressure to move the engine in the mounts. How can this be locked up??
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:31   #7
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Belt deflects and has some crazing. It needs to be changed. Just put a socket on the crank. It does not turn under enough pressure to move the engine in the mounts. How can this be locked up??
It needed to be changed before now.
Piston is touching a valve. If the belt has deflection, tensioner probably failed and timing has slipped. Head needs to come off and repaired.

Old May 17th, 2011, 08:43   #8
TNTDI

Thanks Jettawreck. The timing belt as far as I can see hass all it's teeth. The other thought was I loosened up apiece of carbon/soot when I cleaned the intake. When I got on the highway and shifted at higher rpms. The turbo finaly working blew it in deeper.
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:58   #9
paramedick

Quote:
Thanks Jettawreck. The timing belt as far as I can see hass all it's teeth. The other thought was I loosened up apiece of carbon/soot when I cleaned the intake. When I got on the highway and shifted at higher rpms. The turbo finaly working blew it in deeper.
Bingo!! Valve hanging open due to carbon blockage is first guess.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:27   #10
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

That's got to be a mighty tough chunk of carbon to stop a spinning engine.

have you tried rotating the engine in both directions from the crank bolt? No motion?
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:47   #11
TNTDI

Was told clockwise only on the crank. I think the belt jumped a tooth or 2. Being a little loose and a good turbo pulled it. I will pull the valve cover next. Hopefully it was a soft landing.
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:05   #12
thesearcherman
Veteran Member

You know, this is like the third person this week who ran their timing belt to long, even if that is not the problem here. What the Government should do is require anyone who buys/owns a car with a timing belt, be required to take random drug tests as long as they own the car. It is beyond stupid to drive a car after the recommended TB change time/milege. One of the reasons we don't get the 65 mpg cars here that are in Europe, we are to stupid to own them. HA-HA
thesearcherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:22   #13
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Was told clockwise only on the crank. I think the belt jumped a tooth or 2. Being a little loose and a good turbo pulled it. I will pull the valve cover next. Hopefully it was a soft landing.
If you cann't turn it over it cann't be that "soft".
Whenever there is valve contact, the head comes off and gets some (depends on how many) new valves and a set of lifters-maybe a cam.

Old May 17th, 2011, 13:48   #14
TNTDI

Searcherman(TDI's none) likes to hear himself talk I guess. No constructive info from him. I was told belt was done before 60k. so much for trust. I will be taking off the head tonight.

Last edited by TNTDI; May 17th, 2011 at 18:17.
Old May 17th, 2011, 14:16   #15
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Searcherman likes to hear himself talk I guess. No constructive info from him. I was told belt was done before 60k. so much for trust. I will be taking off the head tonight.
Unfortunately, its one of those things that if you don't have 100% proof, you have it done/re-done so you do know. Trusting ends up costing.