www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 00:14   #61
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Still have a few things to do when I find some time.

-Finish Air Filter plumbing/Airbox
-Get 150A fuse and wire alternator to battery
-Power steering system
-Lift pump
-Clean up interior wiring and mount the ECU
-Install A-pillar gauge pod with Autometer Ultra-lite II EGT, Boost and Oil Temp sensors
-a Few odds and ends
ToyotaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 00:16   #62
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Videos!

4Runner TDI Walk-Around

4Runner TDI Drive-By

4Runner TDI Drive-Up

Last edited by ToyotaTDI; August 23rd, 2012 at 00:24.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:14   #63
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

videos are awesome man!....sounds so familiar .... I really dig the underhood hand throttle too.... I was attempting something similar on my swap but the spring was way too stiff on the MKIV throttle sensor.... how's the power so far?

Last edited by jimbote; August 23rd, 2012 at 05:17.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 14:55   #64
FredS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 00 NB-39, 01 Golf-41, 94 Toy-30

Nice. The videos are sweet. Good to see another one on the road.
03 GTI, 2012 Tiguan
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 15:08   #65
Bczuk
Veteran Member

The Toyotas just sound right with the diesel rattling under the hood

2001 Jetta- 1852 Turbo, PP764, PD150 tip/intake, 2.5" turbo back exhaust, upgraded intercooler, Kerma piping, Malone tuned with coilovers and 18s
Bczuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 14:24   #66
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bczuk View Post
The Toyotas just sound right with the diesel rattling under the hood
I couldn't agree more....something totally harmonic about the vw/yota combo
Old August 25th, 2012, 22:43   #67
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Im thinking the MKIII throttle must have a lighter spring, the pedal feels just how I like it. Nice to keep the stock toyota cable/pedal, something about solid metal pedals

As far as the power goes its pretty good, about on par with the 22re. Im still chasing down this code though:

01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146)
18-00 - Upper Limit

I ran a bottle of diesel purge through it the other day which definitely helped in the power department, but didnt clear the code as I hoped. I was taking some reading with VCDS and my IQ jumps around quite a bit at idle. Its about 3.8 on average but jumps 2.0-4.0 when it feels like it, the idle lopes pretty hard when it drops to around 2.

Im thinking new IP is in my near future. Engine does have 300k Going to try the hammer mod when I get some time but I don't see that helping, as the average value is fine.

Also one thing I will mention, I underestimated the vibes coming out of the TDi at idle. That thing is a teeth rattler! If I was to do the motor mounts again I would definitely go with hydraulic...Maybe a project in the future.
Old August 25th, 2012, 22:48   #68
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Also noticed when I was logging that my QA voltage jumped past the limit. I think its ~2.4 and it hopes to 3.6 when I hammer on it. Hard to know what this engine is supposed to "feel" like. Never driven a TDi before
Old August 26th, 2012, 07:56   #69
jimbote

I guess your mounts are used and already broken in?....my mounts were a little stiff to begin with but did break in over the next few thousand miles....not too shaky at all...
Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:29   #70
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Not sure about the mounts. I been playing more and more with VCDS (so much to learn) and didn't realize that my IQ has been low most of the time. So the vibes are really from the lousy idle and not so much the mounts.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:37   #71
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

....and the reason I was playing with my IQ.

Bosio - PowerPlus 520

Wooo baby!

THIS is why I put in a TDI. Never have I put in a few hours and a few hundred dollars to have such a difference!! This truck pulls so nicely now..much better than the v6 turd that I pulled out. Not fast but its got some nice torque for sure.

Im really starting to hate living in the 'burbs man!! I need to get some plates on this thing so I can go give it some nice WOT hauls. Whoever said this engine will be too small to move a truck this heavy has never driven a TDi!

Unfortunately my N146 code still plagues me. Im thinking a new pump is on the horizon..I have started a thread about it here. Going to try hammer modding as a last resort, but the IQ bounces so crazy sometimes. I dont think it will help.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 07:16   #72
jimbote

What is your hot IQ numbers @ idle with no AC?....should be somewhere between 3 and 6....I like to run mine @ 3.6 .... a missadjusted IQ will definitely set a code for limit reached as well as cause a very lumpy idle (slowdown shudder) .... nozzles are nice!!...yes, the best bang for the buck for sure!!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 17:16   #73
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Put some detailed info in that new thread. Essentially it wont hold an IQ value...If I set it to be around 4 it will hop around 1 - 9 half of the time. I think the QA is shot honestly. It reads 3.74V when it does its sweep which is way too low.
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:14   #74
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Made some progress on the QA issue i've been experiencing. I managed to find the time to pop off the IP top cover and take a look inside. As far as I know, when the key is turned on, the QA electromagnet is powered to max and minimum states. Therefore making a "sweep" from max to min.

Here is a picture of the injection pump with the top cover off.

You can see the sweeping mechanism on the top near the back. The max and min sweep points were 4.5V and .74V respectively, whereas my max sweep value was going to only 3.5V. This low value was giving me the

17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached
P1562 - 35-00

I decide to check the sweep, when I moved it by hand it went to 4.7V at max position. The first time I moved it to max, I noticed some resistance...most likely some grime down lower in the body.So I wiggle to wiper back and fourth to try and free it up a bit.

SUCCESS. First time I cycle ignition it shoots to 4.5V.
Here is a video of the sweep.

I cycled quite a few times to make sure I was getting max position...yup all good. I fire it up and WOW. It runs much smoother now, no CEL or flashing GP light woohoo. QA is steady at 5mg/stroke.

Unfortunately....when I got back from my drive I noticed the value dropped to 4.2V tripping the upper limit code. I had to run too so didn't have time to dink with it any more. My thoughts are that some of the crap got back in the way of the sweep. Wishful thinking I guess

Will update soon.
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:16   #75
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Got my badge in the mail too!
Its from dubstopimports on Ebay, cheap and fast shipping