www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 11th, 2011, 23:19   #1
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Cool First gen 4runner conversion

Howdy all, figure its about time to introduce myself considering im getting into the thick of my TDI swap. Guess you guys would like some details, no?

The truck is a 1988 Toyota 4Runner with a thirsty 3.0 V6 and an a clunky a340f automatic trans. Well I have picked up an AHU from a 1998 jetta with higher kms (hoping she will be okay) as well as decent w56 and everything needed for the 5spd swap.

The plan for now is just to get the thing in an running. After she is running I am hoping to add a nicer FMIC and some nozzles/chip. Gonna be lifting it about 4" with 33" tires so the extra power should do the trick nicely.

So, as it sits now the 3.0 and auto are ready to pull and should be this weekend and I have the adaptor plate 90% done. Just have to countersink some holes for the bolts going into the ahu. I also need to drill the holes for the 22re flywheel and find a source for an oilite bushing (best to do this locally?)

So let me start by asking what parts should I be ordering while im waiting around for time to wrench? Nothing worse then having some free time and waiting for parts...I was going to order the marlincrawler 1600lb HD clutch but ti turn out the factory was damaged during the earthquake sooo they are backordered without an ETA. Anybody with a clutch reccomendation??

Pleasure to meet you all, Glad to be among some of the most experienced TDI guru's!

Cheers
ToyotaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 23:26   #2
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Ill try to get some pics up ASAP--> Mech engineering student = Midterm week = FML
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:58   #3
dennis1a4

Fuel Economy: Hoping for 40mpg

For the bushing I had to use two bushings and press them together to make one. There's more info with sizes on my site. Or I know someone found a bearing that was the right size. Might have to do some searching to find that thread. I think it was on TDIClub.

For the clutch I would try calling Marlin up. Their site showed out of stock but when I called them last week, they said they had some 1600# clutches and are sending me one.

Last edited by dennis1a4; May 12th, 2011 at 08:08.
dennis1a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:08   #4
Danielg42
Veteran Member

Trailgear got me my clutch pretty fast...
http://www.trail-gear.com/brakes
Danielg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:58   #5
cumminsfromthecold
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TDIYota 28-30, always on B20-B99.9, R32 terrible, blue B4 TBD

Partial Order List

AEB oil filter housing/oil cooler adapter. with new gasket and o-ring.

Welder who can build you the custom coolant flange you'll need with the likely limited firewall clearance you'll end up with. New coolant flange o-ring.

I recommend BoraParts Oldpoopie timing belt/water pump kit.

Keeping AC? Get a VR6 water pump pulley.

Viton hoses if you're going biodiesel.

VAGCOM software.

New transfer case HD crossmember mount from TrailGear. I'd get the HD clutch from them too. Fast, efficient company.

ALH intake manifold.

Good luck
Previously: 1997 B4 Passat TDI (1Z) 5-spd (burgundy), 1999.5 Jetta TDI sedan (ALH) 5-spd, 2001 Passat W8 Sedan (01V), 2001 Jetta wagon TDI (ALH) 5-spd, 2000 Passault rallye wagon 4Motion (01V) (2.8l).
cumminsfromthecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 14:03   #6
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

I guess I forgot to mention that with the 5spd swap im moving my crossmember forward so any firewall issues should be eliminated. Would I still need the oil filter housing or would pushing the engine forward eliminate the need?

The timing belt and IP were recently done, so they should be good to go for now.

Now for a stupid question of which I should know the answer. What did you guys use for your fuel pump? Im assuming you need a lift pump of some sort, does the stock toyota pump do the trick or is the pressure too high??
Old May 12th, 2011, 15:19   #7
LukeWilson
Veteran Member

You might be able to use a regulator with the stock yota pump, it is way too high as is. I am not running any fuel pump in mine and it works just fine. It was a pain in the ass to bleed until i got a vacuum pump though.

Luke
LukeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 07:31   #8
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTDI View Post
I guess I forgot to mention that with the 5spd swap im moving my crossmember forward so any firewall issues should be eliminated. Would I still need the oil filter housing or would pushing the engine forward eliminate the need?

The timing belt and IP were recently done, so they should be good to go for now.

Now for a stupid question of which I should know the answer. What did you guys use for your fuel pump? Im assuming you need a lift pump of some sort, does the stock toyota pump do the trick or is the pressure too high??
I'm using the stock FI intank pump with a holley bypass regulator designed to convert FI cars to carburetor while maintaining the stock high pressure pump....I ordered it from a diesel performance website...it's adjustable too
Old May 15th, 2011, 22:20   #9
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

So most of you guys are running no sort of lift pump then? Interesting

I guess as long as its bled its fine or is it hard on the IP to be pulling fuel all the time?

All I can see from the trail-gear website is their heavy duty ceramic clutches. I heard those things are like an on off switch any experiences with this?
Old May 15th, 2011, 22:29   #10
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Wow dennis just checked out your site as well thats quite the project you got there. Great site buddy lots of good info on there, your doing the TDI world a service my friend.

Cheers!
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:58   #11
LukeWilson
Veteran Member

The AHU, 1Z and ALH cars didn't have a lift pump in the stock configuration, it wasn't until the BEW in 2004 that they got one. As long as there are no leaks in the fuel system, everything will work as stock.

Luke
LukeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 23:43   #12
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Well got the adaptor plate finished today, looks good. Hoping to have it test fit this weekend. The plate is 3/8" aluminum cut using using a waterjet.

If anyone is wondering the bolts are M12x1.75 flat head cap screws. 25mm total length

Last edited by ToyotaTDI; May 19th, 2011 at 23:54.
Old May 19th, 2011, 23:47   #13
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Oh yeah had to move the engine from my brothers house to my place. Lets just say I ride a motorcycle and have access to one and only one car while the 4runner is down....

Haters gonna hate

Yes thats a complete TDI, a 2ton engine hoist and a 205lb me in a pontiac firefly....3 cylinder
Old May 19th, 2011, 23:51   #14
ToyotaTDI
Veteran Member

Well I suppose I may as well continue my pic whore streak...Here is the heart transplant recipient!
She was sitting for a long 4 years. Threw some gas in, it started and drove home with no work. I love toyota!!

Last edited by ToyotaTDI; August 25th, 2012 at 22:02.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:44   #15
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

oops nice pontiac repower