www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old May 10th, 2011, 12:40   #1
116Rob

Default Dealer Invoice/Friends & Family Offer?

First post here I'm a current owner of a 2006 Ford 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel and the wife drives an Explorer (16mpg). She commutes 80 daily and Ford just does not offer anything like the JSW and fuel economy. I'm familiar with diesels and the little TDI intriques me. Going to see if I can get the wife into the dealer this weekend to test drive.

Have a friend that works for VW and supplied me with a Friends and Family Offer (voucher) that gets you into the vehicle for Dealer Invoice + incentives. Is this the best one can expect to do on these vehicles? Not in a hurry to buy either. Whats the best time of the year for VW incentives?
116Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:47   #2
kirbfucius
Veteran Member

Not sure how it is in your area, but most of the local VW guys in central North Carolina did not want to discount TDIs much, especially when the price got close to invoice. Thankfully we worked out a great deal which amounted to about $700 under invoice + a good trade in offer.

I'm not really sure when the best dealer incentives come around, but my guess would be particular holidays known for car sales (July 4th, Labor Day, etc) or when they're making room for 2012's coming in. As far as company-wide incentives, they seem to leave the TDI models out but that could change.
kirbfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:52   #3
116Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbfucius View Post
Not sure how it is in your area, but most of the local VW guys in central North Carolina did not want to discount TDIs much, especially when the price got close to invoice. Thankfully we worked out a great deal which amounted to about $700 under invoice + a good trade in offer.

I'm not really sure when the best dealer incentives come around, but my guess would be particular holidays known for car sales (July 4th, Labor Day, etc) or when they're making room for 2012's coming in. As far as company-wide incentives, they seem to leave the TDI models out but that could change.
With the voucher I dont think the dealer has an option. He has to sell at invoice if he participates in the program.
Old May 10th, 2011, 13:03   #4
oneSlickTDI

Fuel Economy: 12 fill ups...5.30L/100kms, 44.38 mpg average so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbfucius View Post

WOW $700 under invoice? That's a good deal. I got invoice and dealer cost on the sunroof.
oneSlickTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 14:09   #5
dje502

I was able to get $1000 under invoice in eastern PA about 6 weeks ago. I traded a 2000 Passat & got a decent trade as well.
dje502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 14:45   #6
oneSlickTDI

Fuel Economy: 12 fill ups...5.30L/100kms, 44.38 mpg average so far

you guys are making me jealous
oneSlickTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 18:15   #7
getfast
Veteran Member

I had a F&F certificate from a VWoA employee as well. Thirteen months ago three dealers wouldn't honor it for a Golf TDI, the other was nice enough to give me the car at sticker instead of marked-up. Had I not found my exact first choice of color & options just off the truck, I would've waited and shopped around with the certificate more. Things are hopefully better now, and may have always been better with Jettas. One did offer me a sweet deal on a GTI instead with the certificate... several thousand off, it was mighty tempting. Good luck!
Old May 10th, 2011, 18:38   #8
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

Best thing with a trade in is either sell it yourself, or shop a number of dealers to see how much it's worth. I did that with my last trade in, so I had a good idea of what it would bring. I chose a dealer who sold me my Golf for a grand under list, and he gave me basically what the others were offering. The higher gas prices go, the more these cars are worth.
Old May 10th, 2011, 19:17   #9
evilfij

TDI(s): 2011 JSW TDI

The thread with what did you pay is helpful.
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 19:45   #10
piney
Veteran Member

Sell that Explorer yourself - you'll take a bath but no more of one than you are taking every third day at the gas pumps. If she has been driving like that for long, your resale will take a real hit and a dealer will cream you on the trade.

Contact Chris Farnum at VW of Langhorne, he will sell you one well under 'invoice' and there is no pressure at all. It is well worth your time to fly in to PHL and drive it home. I did it from Ft Lauderdale and it still saved me a lot of money. cfarnham@vwoflanghorne.com

2011 JSW/DSG TDI, Premium Package, 17" Anthracite Goals, clear bra, mud flaps, painted side moldings, 20% tint all around, 30% ceramic on pano, Curt hitch for bike rack, Yakima Skybox 16S on a Thule 450 mount, bumper protector.

piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 14:27   #11
ilyago
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: finally broke 40 MPG

I think the way F&F certificates work is that the dealer has a choice to participate or not. Sometimes they will not apply it to certain cars (TDI or JSW). The deal is usually invoice.

The value of the certificate to the dealer besides getting an extra customer is an extra $250 credit from VW. So if you can get a deal for under invoice without using the certificate, ask the dealer to pass the extra $250 to you for the certificate.
1998 Jetta TDI 5-sp manual 212K miles, Upsolute, SOLD in 2010
1990 Corrado G60, 86K 5-sp manual, gone in 1995
ilyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 14:33   #12
glitdi
Veteran Member

Typically if the discount is all you are concerned with go with a gasser wagon... those will have a deep discount... the diesel wagons are not being discounted much...

OCD Member #4
glitdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 15:28   #13
116Rob

No plans to trade Explorer in. 140,000 miles owned since new. I'll sell private party.

I'll contract Chris and make the trip to Philly if he's better than invoice. I have a company vehicle and free gas to make the trip over when the time comes.
Old May 11th, 2011, 15:48   #14
pipes p
Veteran Member

they know they have us by the balls when it comes to diesels. unless you know somebody on the inside of one of the dealerships, good luck! to me its collusion ( is that how you spell it LOL) no matter if it vwoa or canada. they are almost as bad as the oil companies.
pipes p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 16:51   #15
rtking
Veteran Member

Have you visited truecar.com's website? That will tell you what people are paying on average in your area, including what a "good" deal is, and what a "great" deal is. FWIW, I paid $850 under invoice for my Jetta TDI in SoCal.
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote