www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 6th, 2011, 23:59   #1
Agent Asian

Fuel Economy: 43
Default Temperature gauge not working!

So earlier I had a coolant leak (assuming) it was a one time thing that I have closely kept my eye on. As of two days ago, my temp gauge stopped moving altogether, and now stays at the left side...
I think it is frozen because of the leak?? I have no idea...
Agent Asian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:52   #2
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Most likely your coolant temp sensor (CTS) is shot. Very common and easy to replace.
But, since you have posted other odd electrical issues, do a search on "coolant migration". Check it out, but its a low probability.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:45   #3
Agent Asian

I was wondering if it was just the sensor, either the one to the ECU chip or the sensor to the cluster. Either way I would just replace both since it is an inexpensive repair. If that is not the problem, I think their is a short in either the ground wire, or the wire is worn down... that could be causing the shocks I get from the car. But I had a coolant leak once that was very large, and was just wondering if there is a connection.. Cars can be tricky like that.
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:24   #4
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Asian View Post
I was wondering if it was just the sensor, either the one to the ECU chip or the sensor to the cluster. Either way I would just replace both since it is an inexpensive repair. If that is not the problem, I think their is a short in either the ground wire, or the wire is worn down... that could be causing the shocks I get from the car. But I had a coolant leak once that was very large, and was just wondering if there is a connection.. Cars can be tricky like that.
The coolant temp sensor supplies both the ECU and the gauge cluster.
Little low amp 12V DC wires won't cause the shocks in the cabin.
Antifreeze has a corrosive effect on wiring/connections.
The coolant migration thread is a thing for anyone with the older models to read and take steps to fix the coolant bottle so it doesn't happen.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:29   #5
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

My temp gauge doesn't work either but it seems it is just the wire for the dash that needs replacing, I've just got the one sensor with four wires, one's an earth, two go to the ecu and the last one goes to the dash.

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 13:41   #6
Agent Asian

So if it turns out not to be a sensor... and something to do with the coolant migration, ( had found a large spot a couple weeks ago of what is believed coolant) how do I get into it all to find out how far its traveled and other damage? My turn signal unit is loose now, but I can't say for certain I would relate it to the coolant thing... but so far its only my temp gauge.
Old May 7th, 2011, 15:02   #7
Seatman
Veteran Member

Have a look

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/m...on-VW-Audi.htm

Old May 7th, 2011, 17:05   #8
Agent Asian

I know what to do to prevent it. But How am I going to know how far it spread if this is my problem!? It says it's rare... The only malfunction I have is my temp gauge... I was just thinking the sensor was plugged up or something.. But I know I had a coolant leak from my car... from who knows where... I am now scared to death... My Mercedes was never this bad!
Old May 7th, 2011, 17:10   #9
Seatman
Veteran Member

Have you done the checks to determine that you have or had coolant migration or are you just winding yourself up?

Old May 8th, 2011, 00:24   #10
Agent Asian

Winding, I have no idea how to check it! I think I am over thinking it. But what do I need to do to check? I have a test light to test wires, but there are a lot of those.
Old May 8th, 2011, 00:27   #11
Agent Asian

OK wow.. a little more time than I have to spend on it as of immediately.. I am crossing my fingers it is just the sensor. But then I still have (HAD) a coolant leak from somewhere other than the coolant reservoir.
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:13   #12
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Quote:
OK wow.. a little more time than I have to spend on it as of immediately.. I am crossing my fingers it is just the sensor. But then I still have (HAD) a coolant leak from somewhere other than the coolant reservoir.
Don't get exited until you replace the sensor. Its easy and not very much money.
I've had coolant get on lots of stuff before nad never had it cause issues. I think it has to be a period of time of exposure.
While rare, the coolant migration mod/fix should be done on any of the older models, it seems to me.
Also, I think this was mentioned earlier, or in the other related thread by the OP:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=317085.
I'ld give the grounds a good polishing up and see what happens.

Last edited by jettawreck; May 8th, 2011 at 11:23.
Old May 8th, 2011, 20:32   #13
Agent Asian

SO I have been driving my sisters pontiac (purge) and well I am a car murderer. I tried starting it, finally getting it not to die, and the lifters are knocking hardcore... well there IS oil in the engine.. It's a matter of the oil pump working, or a head gasket. changed the oil, no antifreeze in it though... BUT I was forced to drive the TDI and the gauge worked twice during deliveries... But if you pop the hood you can smell the sweet coolant smell... I looked over the wires, I can't see any evidence of the coolant traveling on the wires... ( the coolant runs (if it leaks) along the wires, not inside the casing right?) It had leaked ONCE before. I think I may have a hose leak that messed my sensor up. Either way, I am fixing the sensors soon. (days off!!) But to be safe I think I may drop into a radiator shop. Plus my coolant reservoir is at the min level now. So its disappearing. (not on the ground) don't know if I can say it's cause its migrating 8(
Old May 8th, 2011, 20:39   #14
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
SO I have been driving my sisters pontiac (purge) and well I am a car murderer. I tried starting it, finally getting it not to die, and the lifters are knocking hardcore... well there IS oil in the engine.. It's a matter of the oil pump working, or a head gasket. changed the oil, no antifreeze in it though... BUT I was forced to drive the TDI and the gauge worked twice during deliveries... But if you pop the hood you can smell the sweet coolant smell... I looked over the wires, I can't see any evidence of the coolant traveling on the wires... ( the coolant runs (if it leaks) along the wires, not inside the casing right?) It had leaked ONCE before. I think I may have a hose leak that messed my sensor up. Either way, I am fixing the sensors soon. (days off!!) But to be safe I think I may drop into a radiator shop. Plus my coolant reservoir is at the min level now. So its disappearing. (not on the ground) don't know if I can say it's cause its migrating 8(

The coolant runs INSIDE the insulation along the copper strands.

You need to get the car to someone (GURU) who understands TDIs.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 20:43   #15
Agent Asian

And yes I was planning on donating. And thank you! You've been a major help. I am not an experienced VW owner yet nor diesel pro.... I mastered my Mercedes 190E I spent years on. I wanted a TDI because I deliver pizzas and am a student driving a lot... I dove into the unknown for sure with this car. On the other hand, the 16V Mercedes 190E cossy would have been a lovely project! It was manual too! But I love German engineering.