www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old May 5th, 2011, 00:06   #1
TDIinMA
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.4
Default Wind Deflectors

Is anyone using wind deflectors for either their sunroof, windows or both?

Are they worth the money? Do they work?

Thanks
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:35   #2
piney
Veteran Member

I don't have one on this car but about 5 cars ago I had installed one. IMHO, they make too much noise and take away from the look of the car. The factory fishnet one on my JSW seems pretty decent so far.

2011 JSW/DSG TDI, Premium Package, 17" Anthracite Goals, clear bra, mud flaps, painted side moldings, 20% tint all around, 30% ceramic on pano, Curt hitch for bike rack, Yakima Skybox 16S on a Thule 450 mount, bumper protector.

piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 04:10   #3
740GLE
Veteran Member

my weathertech sunroof deflector acutally makes it possible to open it up at highway speeds without stabbing my eyes out for how bad the buffeted. Before that the sunroof was a $1000 waste. I'm sure the difference between sedan vs wagen might not be as noticable.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:00   #4
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I find driving with the sunroof open on my Golf is pretty quiet, without a deflector, as long as I don't open it to the fully open position.

I wonder how much a deflector hurts fuel economy, having that protrusion pushing through the air all the time. One reason we buy TDIs is for the economy; I'd hate to do something to the car that would hurt that benefit.
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:52   #5
cshecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIinMA View Post
Is anyone using wind deflectors for either their sunroof, windows or both?

Are they worth the money? Do they work?

Thanks
Don't need it for the sunroof - it's quieter and lets in less harsh wind than my A3 3.2 that I recently had.
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:44   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Hmmm, I find driving with the sunroof open on my Golf is pretty quiet, without a deflector, as long as I don't open it to the fully open position.

I wonder how much a deflector hurts fuel economy, having that protrusion pushing through the air all the time. One reason we buy TDIs is for the economy; I'd hate to do something to the car that would hurt that benefit.

I'm sure it's a difference between golf and jetta.

Before the deflector i could only have the roof open two-three clicks before it started getting bad at speed. Even at highway speed with the the rear window cracked and the roof in the normal open position (not all the way open) there was nasty resonance in the cabin.

Now i only have a little sound at 30-40mph if i have a rear window cracked a little bit. I haven't noticed any hit to my MPGs, I'm sure there's something, but i'm happy with my best tank being 48mpg, and on average 44-46mpgs. The weathertech isn't too high it's pretty slimline once it was installed. When I tip the back of the roof up, it hits the back end of the deflector, so it's less than an inch above the glass when everything shut. It's like the difference between 40psi and 42psi.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"

Last edited by 740GLE; May 5th, 2011 at 09:47.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:42   #7
StaceyS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: 40.6 mpg (54 fill ups)

I haven't had any issues with buffeting on the JSW's Panoramic sunroof. Drove at highway speeds with it fully open, windows closed and it was no problem. Out of curiosity, I reached up and pulled the deflector screen down and got a tremendous buffeting, so it proved to me that its there to do something!

My only complaint on the deflector is that it will get bug filled over time, and being a screen, I'll be able to see it, and want it to be clean. Not really a comment on the screen, more a comment on my OCD...
StaceyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:07   #8
dpg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
I haven't had any issues with buffeting on the JSW's Panoramic sunroof. Drove at highway speeds with it fully open, windows closed and it was no problem. Out of curiosity, I reached up and pulled the deflector screen down and got a tremendous buffeting, so it proved to me that its there to do something!
My only complaint on the deflector is that it will get bug filled over time, and being a screen, I'll be able to see it, and want it to be clean. Not really a comment on the screen, more a comment on my OCD...

same here! especially on the bug trap! only time i've had bad wind noise is if there is a cross wind

dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 14:09   #9
wsktdi

Fuel Economy: 2010 JSW: 63000 Miles - around 40mpg average (75% freeway)

I installed the Weathertech side window deflectors front and back on my '10 JSW and love them. The windows can be cracked in a downpour and no water comes in. The buffeting that used to happen when both back windows were partially opened is gone. I can leave all four windows cracked when parked in the heat and you can't tell. The only (minor) negative is you have to drop the windows a bit to wipe the top of the windows and the inside of the deflectors when washing the car.
For me, well worth the cost.
wsktdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 18:19   #10
piney
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsktdi View Post
I installed the Weathertech side window deflectors front and back on my '10 JSW and love them. The windows can be cracked in a downpour and no water comes in.
I had those on a car a few years ago and always left them cracked an inch or so just to be able to get into a cooler car. One day I went to go somewhere and there was this 18" Brazilian Anole on my door just stuck to the side of the car and it wouldn't budge. I closed them after that day and deal with the heat.

2011 JSW/DSG TDI, Premium Package, 17" Anthracite Goals, clear bra, mud flaps, painted side moldings, 20% tint all around, 30% ceramic on pano, Curt hitch for bike rack, Yakima Skybox 16S on a Thule 450 mount, bumper protector.

piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 20:05   #11
TDI Wagon 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsktdi View Post
I installed the Weathertech side window deflectors front and back on my '10 JSW and love them. The windows can be cracked in a downpour and no water comes in. The buffeting that used to happen when both back windows were partially opened is gone. I can leave all four windows cracked when parked in the heat and you can't tell. The only (minor) negative is you have to drop the windows a bit to wipe the top of the windows and the inside of the deflectors when washing the car.
For me, well worth the cost.
Same here! The Weathertech are well made & installation takes 10 minutes in total.
I have side window deflectors on my cars for the past 15 years. It's the first thing I install on all of my vehicule.
It's also very good in winter to let the hot humid air exit the car when parked. You never have any frost inside...
TDI Wagon 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote