Dieselpower04's Golf TDI build thread

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I figured it was time for the build up thread!

Car: 2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
Engine: 1.9L Turbo-charged Direct Injected Diesel
Transmission: 5-speed (O2J)
Mods: TDTuning.com Stage 3 tune, VNT-17/22 turbo, PD150 injectors, PD150 intake manifold/turbo inlet pipe, R32 airbox/3.25" MAF, Custom FMIC, 3 bar MAP, 2.5" downpipe and thru exhaust, Southbend Stage III clutch with single mass flywheel (21lbs), Raceland Coilovers.

First picture, bought June 2007 in NY, 59k miles:

Back home in CT:

Added 17" Arrietta GTI wheels:

Turbo upgrade, stock on left, upgrade on right:

Upgraded clutch, Southbend Stage III. Holds 425 ft-lbs. The VR6 clutch I had in the car started to slip (held 300 ft-lbs) after 12k miles.

FMIC Time:

Can't forget these PD150s:

Last edited:

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Continued

After the Raceland Coilover install (24"):

Latest dyno (Dynojet):

186 whp, 367 ft-lbs.

DynoDynamics Dyno (heart-break dyno plus mods between last Dynojet):

The engine bay with all the goodies:

At the track:

Next to my friends baller a$$ CC:

Skootin'

Enjoying the cruise to the Tail of the Dragon:

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Continued 2

New shoes:

Enjoying some great FL weather:

Got bored one weekend and did the 5th brake like mod:

AND I still get 45+ mpgs!!

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Continued 3

Currently in the midst of doing some major suspension upgrading:

With this in it:

Upgrading to TT/R32 lower control arms (adjustable camber), TT/R32 spindles and VR6 calipers and carriers to run 288mm brakes. :D

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Duuuude... I need some of these bad.... Can you hook me up with a set?

Do your LCA's have the knob on the side? can't tell from the photos...

Last edited:

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Sadly no tabs. Trying to work it out with the guy who sold them to me, cause he said they did.

I can get an R32 sway bay, but need R32 coilovers cause the sway bar mounts to the strut itself.

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
Welll it Looks Amazing so far, just about everything i plan to do to my 00. My question is where do you get that fmic? and the pipe work? it looks so good.

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
These cars don't need a front sway bar. They have a natural tendency to understeer. Bigger rear bar and no front bar is the way to go. My friends runs a and A3 golf in SCCA and that's they way he has been running it for years.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Welll it Looks Amazing so far, just about everything i plan to do to my 00. My question is where do you get that fmic? and the pipe work? it looks so good.
Thanks! :) A few of us had a mini-group buy with Matt Whitbread. Had him make the FMIC kit.

These cars don't need a front sway bar. They have a natural tendency to understeer. Bigger rear bar and no front bar is the way to go. My friends runs a and A3 golf in SCCA and that's they way he has been running it for years.
I would like the car to oversteer if anything. I took it up to the dragon with stock sways and it pushed very badly (had crappy tires though). I have had rear wheel drive vehicles all my life so I can handle a car that kicks the tail end out no problem.

Last edited:

b47t0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mkv BKD
some nice modding going on

have you noticed and pros / cons on doing the ccv mod and letting it go into the atmosphere ?

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
some nice modding going on

have you noticed and pros / cons on doing the ccv mod and letting it go into the atmosphere ?

Thanks! No cons, just keeps the oil from going back into the turbo inlet pipe *thumbsup*

When running a larger turbo and/or tune, the crank case pressure sure does go up. I had a catch can but was having weird pressure issues with it.

b47t0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mkv BKD
Ahhh I've just ordered a catch can too :( I'll try it see how it goes after my remapp

Would I know if I had pressure issues ?

And I must say I love how your car sits

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Thanks Phil! Its nice to see a 2 door Golf lover can appreciate my 4 door :p

Ahhh I've just ordered a catch can too :( I'll try it see how it goes after my remapp

Would I know if I had pressure issues ?

And I must say I love how your car sits
I was noticing some weird boosting behavior when getting on the throttle. I have an aggressive tune so that makes things complicated. I may not have been using large enough tubing to and from the can though.

Thanks the compliment btw, I love starring at it :cool:

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Retune update

This weekend at the JAX GTG Jeff Robertson was able to update to my tune to RC Race :D

It was adjusted for the R32 MAF housing. The inertia shifting is probably the best part! Once the car goes from gear to gear, it feels like its getting kicked in the a$$ by a huge boot!

The car really scoots now. EGTs have dropped. It gets to triple digits very easily :cool:

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Out of curiosity what are your EGT's now? What have you done to contribute to lowering them. I'm having very high ones still and it hasn't even gotten above 65 here yet.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Out of curiosity what are your EGT's now? What have you done to contribute to lowering them. I'm having very high ones still and it hasn't even gotten above 65 here yet.
Without the tune for the R32 MAF housing, I was way overfueled. I was able to get to 1700+*F easily.

But the tune now makes them more reasonable. I haven't seen past 1550*F yet. I am sure they can get higher than that, but I have been running out of road to try. The car goes really fast now!

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Hmmm, so all it took was physically more air into the turbo and Jeff to tell it that there is more air?

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Ahhhh, gotcha. Alright I'm just trying to figure out how to lower mine and gain that little more power. I have almost the exact same mods as you, live in a colder climate (but higher elevation), but I'm definitely showing less power, and I'm also running higher boost @ 28psi. I'm working on a FMIC and thought about doing the bigger airbox and TIP from RyanP but wasn't sure if it was worth it in my current state. But seeing your set up now gives me hope. Thanks!

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Ahhhh, gotcha. Alright I'm just trying to figure out how to lower mine and gain that little more power. I have almost the exact same mods as you, live in a colder climate (but higher elevation), but I'm definitely showing less power, and I'm also running higher boost @ 28psi. I'm working on a FMIC and thought about doing the bigger airbox and TIP from RyanP but wasn't sure if it was worth it in my current state. But seeing your set up now gives me hope. Thanks!
Lol yeah its all in the tune. My boost is 28 psi or so too.

How do you have all that on the stock clutch?!

My stocker slipped after my first RC2 tune!

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Yeah, clutch is toast! I have the SB stage III sitting in my bedroom at the moment, just waiting for the nice weather to arrive to throw it in. Do you have any stalling in the turbo before 2000 RPM? When do you hit full boost usually? Also when you got the airbox and such from Ryan did you have to find and supply your own r32 MAF housing?

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Good call on that clutch. I have beat my up and its been holding all I can throw at it.

My tune doesn't make more than 10 psi under 2000 rpm, then its balls out. That helps prevent turbo surge.

Yeah I had to find my own R32 MAF housing. Look on vortex for part-outs.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Great, sounds good to me. Thanks for the info. Basically I'm calling it done when it's around the same mod wise as yours. Your car is lookin great as well, tasteful and mod perfect without going race huge. Hopefully we can meet up at a fest one day!

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Great, sounds good to me. Thanks for the info. Basically I'm calling it done when it's around the same mod wise as yours. Your car is lookin great as well, tasteful and mod perfect without going race huge. Hopefully we can meet up at a fest one day!
Well thanks! :D

I am going to this years Fest in KY. Should be fun!!

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I would say the big fmic and unrestrictive piping probably helped a lot in bringing egt's down as well...
The EGTs are proportionate to the tune level. I wouldn't have this aggressive of tune without upgraded stuff.

The recent drop in EGTs is a direct result of the new tune. Nothing else changed :)