Intro and qeusetions

JonD-2.7tDallas

TDI
2011 Jetta SW TDI
Hello TDI folks.
I've been "messing with and modding" German cars I've owned since 1978 (2002tii) and have had a sucession of different cars from different German brands since then.
My current long term project (umm keep for ever!) ride is this 2003 a6 2.7t 6Mt Stage II+.

Because of a little issue I had with VW warranty service (which I can not go into), my previous ride was this Tiguan S 6MT (with some mods)

I am now the proud owner of a 2011 TDI JSW DSG w/moonroof.
Since I am a LONG time forum user, I actually spent a couple of days poking around the forum and doing searches, and I have a few questions
1) I love the idea of a Diesel Geek skidplate, but has anyone really killed their motor by killing an oil pan?
2) I couldn't find anyone who actually put coil overs on their JSW. I have seen spring (and airbags - whoa!). I am looking for some feedback on ride quality. I have a really great idea on the changes for C5 A6 Audi, and for the Mk5 based Tiguan, but not on JSW.
3) The tone and sound of the car seems to be changed over the first 250 miles. A little louder. Am I hallucinatory?
4) Give me one good reason not to remove the racks from the top. Hate them, Don't even use them.
5) Has anyone use clear Bra or any other type of protection on the top of the bumper cover to keep it from getting beat up while taking cargo in and out?
To establish my TDI cred, I actually spent about a week and 1400 miles in one of these 4 years ago, including some Nurburgring laps
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/audi-a8-4.2-v8-tdi-quattro-1003858.html
Oh one last thing - some of you guys are wound a little tightly, know what I mean? Is this a TDI thing too? ;-)

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
1. Yes
2. Someone here has, in CA I believe. Not sure how to best search for it.
3. I've read that from others, too.
4. There's a removal thread on those here somewhere.
5. Yes, and if you search accessory stores you may find a piece that fits

Yes, many of us are wound pretty tight. It's a TDI thing, for sure.

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
I have the xpel clear stuff on my bumper by the hatch. Can't tell it's there. It's custom cut for each car.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Wound tight I guess I have done 102 GTGs at 70,000 miles in 10 years attended every Fest and really knew I was hosed when we had a TDI wedding..... Then there was the House with 5 garages.....

Sorry you have to feed that 2.7T Mine was a '00 and the second one registered In NH waaay back.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Hello TDI folks.
I've been "messing with and modding" German cars I've owned since 1978 (2002tii) and have had a sucession of different cars from different German brands since then.
Howdy. I've only had three German cars, an 89 Merc 190D, a Mk4 Golf, and my 2010 JSW. Also had an Astra, which is Austrian, not German, but that's debatable, and it was badged as a Saturn though I converted it to an Opel.

I am now the proud owner of a 2011 TDI JSW DSG w/moonroof.
Since I am a LONG time forum user, I actually spent a couple of days poking around the forum and doing searches, and I have a few questions
1) I love the idea of a Diesel Geek skidplate, but has anyone really killed their motor by killing an oil pan?
Yes, in under a minute, trying to pull over, if I remember correctly.

2) I couldn't find anyone who actually put coil overs on their JSW. I have seen spring (and airbags - whoa!). I am looking for some feedback on ride quality. I have a really great idea on the changes for C5 A6 Audi, and for the Mk5 based Tiguan, but not on JSW.
I've got coilovers on mine, a few others on here. Depends on what you're looking for as far as ride quality. I thought the stock suspension was mush, so I did the coilovers. The spring rates suck for the JSW so I upgraded those after.

3) The tone and sound of the car seems to be changed over the first 250 miles. A little louder. Am I hallucinatory?
Nope, mine did, my dad's did it, several other owners I've talked to have noticed the same.

4) Give me one good reason not to remove the racks from the top. Hate them, Don't even use them.
You'll leave little holes in your roof? Seriously, if you don't like 'em, ditch 'em. Doing so is supposed to be good for some mileage as well.

5) Has anyone use clear Bra or any other type of protection on the top of the bumper cover to keep it from getting beat up while taking cargo in and out?
It's available, so are stainless steel protectors. Personally, I just try to be careful. So far haven't done anything that didn't wax out.

Oh one last thing - some of you guys are wound a little tightly, know what I mean? Is this a TDI thing too? ;-)
LOL, worry less, drive more...

acrossthepond

Veteran Member
TDI
several now 2016 Mk7 Golf GTD DSG
3. Noticed the same.

4. Because it will end up looking like a bread van if you do (imo)

5. Yes I can recommend the VW clear film rear bumper protector.
Take your time fitting it especially teasing over the lip edge.
Had it on for a year and still almost invisible.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I don't think I've ever been accused of being wound tightly on here... I'm pretty quite and civil here, but don't ask my family. My sister owns a Jetta and when she told me she had a CEL and just let the dealer "fix" it without asking what the problem was, I nearly turned the planet inside out. Hmm... It's just a car.... It's _just_ a car...

JonD-2.7tDallas

TDI
2011 Jetta SW TDI
I don't think I've ever been accused of being wound tightly on here... I'm pretty quite and civil here, but don't ask my family. My sister owns a Jetta and when she told me she had a CEL and just let the dealer "fix" it without asking what the problem was, I nearly turned the planet inside out. Hmm... It's just a car.... It's _just_ a car...
I understand. When I was having the issues with my Tigi, I was pulling the codes with my VAG-Com and e-mailing them to my service advisor at the dealership within 5 minutes of them happening (VAG-Com/Laptop/Mi-Fi). It kind of freaked them out at first

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
#3 Could it be that you (and the other owners) may just be getting used to the car, and you're hearing sounds that you didn't notice before?

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Quick update. While changing the oil yesterday I noticed some marks on the top side of my skid plate. I'll be contacting Evo Imports today because apparently my skid plate is bent enough that the lower IC piping is rubbing it. In other words, it's been used harder than I thought.

Last edited: