www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:17   #1
Comiclown

TDI(s): 2001
Default Valet Key Programming

I have a 2000 Jetta TDI and I just ordered a regular valet key from a local dealer for $59.00. Have anyone tried the following steps ( I found them on ehow.com) to program a valet key (no fob)?

Get into your vehicle. Insert your valet key into the ignition and turn the key as far as you can in the "On" position without cranking the engine.

Get out of the car and close the door behind you, leaving the valet key in the ignition. Place your regular car key in the driver's door and turn the key to lock the car manually.

Remove the key from the driver's door. Push the "Unlock" button on your key fob twice.

Enter your car, turn the valet key to the "Off" position and remove it from the ignition. Your valet key is now programmed.

thanks!

Comiclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 20:19   #2
COcyclist

Fuel Economy: 52 mpg lifetime ave.

Are you going to let us know if it works? I was quoted hundreds more for this at the stealership.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 22:27   #3
snakeye
Veteran Member

This worked for resetting a remote key that I thought was FUBAR. I doubt it will make the car recognize the immobilizer chip in the valet key.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:24   #4
tomiegunn77

I second the above.. the technique you refer to is for programming a new fob using an already working valet key. It does work though..
tomiegunn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 19:59   #5
Hakcobra

Fuel Economy: Getting Better!

I have two key fobs but no Valet key. One fob works and the other does not (red light lights up but will not unlock doors or trunk). Will the above technique reprogram my dumb remote?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 21:17   #6
Hakcobra

Fuel Economy: Getting Better!

Nevermind, just tried the other key fob and the red light doesnt come on, even after new batteries. Must be doa.
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:22   #7
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG 20%hwy,80% citi;48 MPG hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comiclown View Post
I have a 2000 Jetta TDI and I just ordered a regular valet key from a local dealer for $59.00. Have anyone tried the following steps ( I found them on ehow.com) to program a valet key (no fob)?

Get into your vehicle. Insert your valet key into the ignition and turn the key as far as you can in the "On" position without cranking the engine.

Get out of the car and close the door behind you, leaving the valet key in the ignition. Place your regular car key in the driver's door and turn the key to lock the car manually.

Remove the key from the driver's door. Push the "Unlock" button on your key fob twice.

Enter your car, turn the valet key to the "Off" position and remove it from the ignition. Your valet key is now programmed.

thanks!

The procedure you post here is to reprogram remote . Valet key don't have remote.
What do you trying top reprogram, Remote on other key or Immobilizer?
If you want to reprogram immobilizer then info is here:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_II_Key_Matching_%28Cluster%29

Important Note: Unless you ALREADY have the SKC information for your vehicle and components then you will NOT be able to do any of the Immobilizer functions.
Click this link for more information.
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
MK6 Needle Sweep,MK5 Needle Illumination
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote