www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old June 8th, 2011, 19:57   #46
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars don’t have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Thank you. The best we can do is publish (and perhaps sticky) this guy (and others if they join him).

I lost $700 on an injection pump that I believe originally got "rebuilt" by prothe. (Was sold to me by a mischievous member of the club who disappeared shortly thereafter) Also, a dozen hours of my time installing, then reinstalling pumps, and I waited in the freezing cold for more than an hour for a tow because his pump ran for all of two miles.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 20:34   #47
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

Good work!

Thread moved to the vendor's forum and stickied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanTDI View Post
I was amazed by this thread, especially since as a long time active member of Fred's I didn't really know he was out there - and such a stunning trail of destruction.

Sooo... I did a little research, he's famous for this throughout the internet and for years.

Sooo... I tied all of the aliases I could find together using multiple sources and documented as much as I could regarding his various front's. Many of which are either dropped or lay dormant for a period before resurrection.

Here's the thread dedicated to him and all of his various known fronts: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320500

My little contribution to the community, he may have not gotten me, but no doubt others before him might have if not for those who pointed out the pitfalls for me in the past.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me.

To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:55   #48
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
For them to say they are not responsible for damage caused by one of their parts does not necessarily make it so. Time to run this by a lawyer.
It's called consequential damage and even the OEM (audi/VW) will not cover consequential damage in the event one of their parts fails.
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:06   #49
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_DeWitt View Post
It's called consequential damage and even the OEM (audi/VW) will not cover consequential damage in the event one of their parts fails.

My thinking was more about product liability. If I sell a product with a known defect, and the failure causes an injury to a person, I can expect a lawsuit.

If you sell a product with a known defect and it causes damage to a machine, it's really the same thing but damages are lower.

At least that is the thinking in my simple non-lawyer mind...
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:02   #50
red golf tdi

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Essentially, you got Chinese garbage parts.
Yep, I bought A2/MKII Jetta tail lights that were junk, all scratched up and poor quality. I ended up paying more for used VW Hella units, but as you know used Hellas are better than his China junk!
red golf tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 18:45   #51
vdubdezl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
704-684-1235

The question is why would I want to put more parts from them in my car that already is costing me 2000$ in engine damage. Also she send me the the warranty and terms of sale statement "If a part that RE sells is alleged to have caused damages to other parts in a customer's car, RE is not responsible for those damages. RE is not responsible for damages under any circumstance or condition, even if the part(s) were installed by a professional or certified mechanic."

Yep. This is the same way I felt when it happened to me! $1100 in parts & my own labor, I'm back riding.
Don't try and save money! Buy quality parts!
Lord Helmet Spaceballs
vdubdezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:51   #52
Warthog
Veteran Member

TDI(s): see Bio
Fuel Economy: VW:49-53 depends on which one
Default ENGINEERING without a license?

Have an acquaintance who buys part from this guy...hans...in Matthews NC. This person apparently has not had any probs, but I wrote "hans" about a downpipe and got a very uninformative reply. so...........I found this thread. FIRST thing I think of is he's advertising "ENGINEERING" in his company name. I am a North Carolina Professional Engineer...it is illegal to use "ENGINEERING" as any sort of reference unless YOU are registered as a PE.
Thinking now about drafting a letter to the NC Board of Engineer Licensing with a request to investigate this guy. This is a genuine legal ploy to get him.

Last edited by Warthog; August 3rd, 2011 at 06:58. Reason: spelling error
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:03   #53
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

And, *rothenbacher* turns up no results on a license search on the NCBELS site.

However, interestingly, a whois on hansdieselparts lists his address as:

Rothenbacher, Pete prothe@wewill.com
www.emiata.com
11004 E 33rd Terrace
Independence, Missouri 64052
United States
(816) 694-0615 Fax --

So, the NC contact info may be outdated. However, he's still using it on emiata.com:

Rothenbacher, Peter prothe@wewill.com
Rothenbacher Enterprises
5005 Smith Farm Rd.
Matthews, North Carolina 28104
United States
+1.7048450472 Fax --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:22   #54
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmetz View Post
Good work!

Honestly, I think it should be sticked on every popular forum on here.

Like the 101, and the different model forums... where all people will be sure to see it.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:18   #55
ninedee_golf_tdi

Default Prothe

I suggest changing the title of the thread in the vendors section to something like PROTHE Parts or something similar. As titled now, it doesn't really raise an alarm.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmetz View Post
Good work!

ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 15:27   #56
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars don’t have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Add another victim to the list.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmo501
update: only marking on the timing belt: "Made in China"
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 15:57   #57
brucebanes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta 99.B
Fuel Economy: 48 MPG

I bought a turbo from him that lasted 1k. He was listed as TDI Parts on Ebay and this was in 2007.
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:51   #58
edvinm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarze Käfer View Post
Prothe!
The guy is known for selling C.R.A.P. (Chinese Replacement Auto Parts) of dubious quality.
I am so glad I found this thread. I was just looking at buying a fuel filter as he lists them for half the price of anyone else and it shows up in Google Shopping results. I somehow knew it was too good to be true.
edvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:16   #59
hershel94

Fuel Economy: ?
Default Valuable Thread

This site exist for exactly this reason. I was just getting ready to get a turbo from him since i live in charlotte. Glad i decided to check him out. Another lost sale due to this site helping other owners out with their knowledge.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:26   #60
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

Once in a while we'll get a phone call or email (Corey got a call yesterday) from someone asking if we'll price match a prothe product. We usually direct them to one of the threads here. Don't need to say anything else. People do care about price, sometimes to the exclusion of quality. My own buying decisions are more driven by convenience so often I'm willing to pay more. But I don't think that's very common.

This thread caught my eye because my Miata could use a timing belt soon due to time not miles. And I did a bit of searching for a kit and prothe came up, of course. Obviously I'm not gonna do that.