www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 14th, 2011, 15:59   #1
ph2426

Default 2000 Golf TDI Automatic transmission Problems- Please help!!!

Hello all,
I have a 2000 VW gold TDi that I am beginning to get really annoyed with. I wanted to buy a nice, fuel efficient, relieable car for my wife to drive and we have had so many problems.
Today my wife drove the car to work and all seemed fine. She got in later on to come home and the transmission was slipping badly so she pulled over. When I got to the car I put the car in reverse and it felt like it went in to gear but no matter how many times I tried it would not move at all. It would rev up but just stay still. In drive the car will move but I am guessing slips a lot. I left the car there as it was on a hill and couldnt get it out of the parking space as it had no reverse.
If anyone can be of assisitance i would greatly appreciate it. I have read that the auto transmissions are weak but we really did not have warning signs. It did take a second or two to pull away in reverse before but I thought this was normal for these cars. Thank you in advance for any help!
Paul
ph2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 16:07   #2
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

The automatic transmission is the MK4 TDI's are prone to failure as VW miscalculated the load based on the TDI torque curve.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 16:09   #3
ph2426

Is it worth trying to change the filter and transmission oil?
Old April 14th, 2011, 16:19   #4
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Send a PM to TDICADDGUY as he used to have an automatic and knows quite a bit about them.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 17:01   #5
pigpenracing

TDI(s): golf jetta

I had similar problems and everyone told me not to waste money on a fluid change. I changed the fluid and filter and added the Lucas trans fix additive. It works excellent now. My car is a 2000 golf. Google Blau parts. They sell a detailed kit with fluid, filter, gasket and instructions for $90. I drove 1000 miles and changed fluid again and added another Lucas. All is good.
pigpenracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 17:50   #6
AARodriguez Corp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpenracing
Quote:
I am not any kind of transmission expert

Last edited by AARodriguez Corp.; April 14th, 2011 at 18:05.
AARodriguez Corp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 18:46   #7
ph2426

Thanks for all your help guys, i think for $90 its worth trying!!! I really thought these were supposed to be reliable cars!!!
Old April 14th, 2011, 18:57   #8
goodtransmissions

You dont have to spend that much you can do it for less than 35 dollars with regular Dexron from your local wal-mart. The gasket is reusable and they normally dont leak. Just use judgment. If theres alot of metal and transmission fluid smell burnt it wont do any good. The low and reverse section hardly ever burns they have more problems with the planetary gears. Dexron was what was used before just to see what it does. You wont need more than four quarts for the oil change. So just changeout the filter and fill it back up to the proper level. To find if you have planet problems just take the cover that sits by the drivers side wheel and check for metal. If theres metal in the back pan you can bet your transmission is trashed.

Last edited by goodtransmissions; April 14th, 2011 at 19:06.
goodtransmissions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 20:03   #9
robocop
Veteran Member

hate to tell ya dude, but i just went throught the whole thing....same tranny...tried lucas tranny fix, made it ten times worse, ended up rebuiding the tranny, cost me 2300$$, they are known to fail between 200,000- 300,000kms...sorry to tell ya..ps..i did alot of research on this so i know what im talking about...(your internals are wore out..nothing you can do)
robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 21:25   #10
thesearcherman
Veteran Member

Default Winning!

When you buy one of these cars with an auto tranz, its like gambling, except with gambling, sometimes you win.
thesearcherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 22:08   #11
Dodoma
Veteran Member

Please see the website kansascitytdi.com. Coolairvw is our transmission guy.
Dodoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:55   #12
ph2426

Ok, some updates since messing with it today. The car will not go into reverse. It will also not go in to 1st gear. It starts off in second gear and during acceleration it 'bogs down' (feels like it comes out of gear then back in gear after a few seconds). With the car parked it also will not move when in neutral, almost like it is in park. When in reverse and revving the engine black smoke comes out of the exhaust which does not happen in other gears. any help would be great.... thanks in advance
Old April 19th, 2011, 22:45   #13
Dodoma
Veteran Member

There is transmission honey that you can buy from auto parts and accessories stores, such as Autozone. See if using it works.
Dodoma is offline   Reply With Quote