Heading to Minneapolis - where to fill up?

OldManWinter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010
Hi Folks,
I'm planning a trip to Minneapolis, we'll be staying in Bloomington West, and doing the MOA, science museum, Zoo, uptown etc.
I'll be driving about 500 miles to get to Minneapolis so I'll want to fill up shortly after arriving, any recommendations for high throughput diesel station? I'll be coming from the direction of Fargo along the I94, so even if I fill up before I hit Minneapolis that's fine too.

Thanks for any insight you guys have.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'd try to hit up a Kwik Trip for some Koch Gold diesel. I believe there is one in Plymouth on the west side of the 494 ring which you'll pass on your way to MOA.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
I'd try to hit up a Kwik Trip for some Koch Gold diesel. I believe there is one in Plymouth on the west side of the 494 ring which you'll pass on your way to MOA.
Nick

A new Kwik trip recently opened up next to the Holiday station near my house. Not sure what they have for diesel yet. What differences or advantages does the Koch Gold have over what Holiday supplies? I assume higher cetane rating but is there any other advantage?

Thanks as always.

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
there is always the ta in wisc just before minn border and there is a ta in rogers off 94 also. near a caribou conveniently enough.

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
I just drove that last weekend and used a Cenex station near Eau Claire.
However, if I knew Koch Gold was available, I would have been all over that.
Is there a site that lists Koch Gold outlets?

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Thanks Green, I think I found it on google maps.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sour...d=U500TUmGU7OnFW4t-LJ4Vw&cbp=12,336.2,,0,0.07
That'll be perfect for both coming and going.
Not quite. That station doesn't have diesel at all (I happened to be in the area yesterday and happened to need fuel). There is a Freedom Value Center a couple exits back that purports to have the fhr Gold (42-46 Cetane min) on that website, though there were no signs or other information posted anywhere on the premesis. I'd say your best bet for quality fuel might be to try to spot a Cenex that caters to trucks before you get to the 694/494 ring since they can carry 48 cetane premium diesel ("Roadmaster XL"). BP stations tend to be crap unless they also have an "Amoco Fuels" logo, but even then it's a craps shoot as to whether they have the 49 cetane "Supreme" diesel; Holiday and Casey's get poor marks (by anecdote) for fuel quality.
Another possibility is the Mill's Fleet Farm stores in Alexandria and outside St. Cloud. I hear they may have a "premium gold diesel".